My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Snapper RER, Ford 2000 LC
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just blew the engine (Old 8HP Tecumseh) on my late 70's RER. I just found a 12.5 HP B & S vertical shaft engine on Craigslist. Does anyone know if the four bolt patterns for vertical shaft engines are universal?

Looking for quick advise. The 12.5 is only 100 dollars. Sounds good to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
948 Posts
Snapper has used a variety of engines on their lineup of RER's over the years. Tecumseh's, Briggs, Kohler's even Wisconsin's were used. The Kohler Command was the only engine, I am aware of, that used an adapter plate. I have a Command CV14 on my 33" and it has an adapter plate. The 12.5 B&S will serve you well. Many of the Snapper folks here have repowered their RERs so there a quite a few post dealing with potential issues that arise when repowering. Just use the search section on the Snapper main page to type in repower. See what comes up posts wise.

OH YEAH

:MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2:

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I'll find out on the shaft size and buy the engine. I'm in to this project far enough to not go back! To quote Macbeth "I am in blood stepped in so far that should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o'er."

I'm all in.

Best advice site on the internet!

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,166 Posts
That old a Snapper MAY have fender flares sticking up above the engine mounting surface, IF so, the left one will interffer with the bolt in the middle of the crankcase on the 12.5 B&S engine. This can be trimmed off to make clearance. The fender that is.

Walt Conner

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. Picked up the engine today. Electric start so I'm gonna have to get a battery and figure out the basic wiring. Also looks like I'll need to do a little grinding on the rear fender flakes. Old engine out. Measured the distance for the pulley. Now I just need to get the pulley mounted on the new power. Question. If I want to jump it with a car battery, how is that done? I guess the question would be, is the terminal on the starter positive or negative?

Thanks

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,166 Posts
"Question. If I want to jump it with a car battery, how is that done? I guess the question would be, is the terminal on the starter positive or negative?"

Connect positive cable to starter terminal, ground to engine base or other good ground.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
This is a wiring,schematic,for both starters,on a model 6,they use a "starter solenoid"some earlier series,took starter current from the "start"position,on the switch, directly to the starter motor.This was hard on the switches,so they started to use solenoids.Your new engine,may be different,from the one used here,depending on what kind of a machine it was used on.one post on the solenoid is used as a "junction post" the post that's "hot"(battery wire)takes battery charging current,to the battery,and sends power to the start position,on the switch. maybe this will help.The positive post(+),is hot,the other(-) is ground,if using jumper cables ,ground the neg.wire to the engine block,and touch the pos.to the starter post.this should turn the engine over.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all. I got the engine in. As you all pointed out, I had to grind off parts of the fender on the left side of the tractor. Getting the height right on the clutch plate took a few tries and reaching the engine bolt took a bit of gymnastics. But I'm feeling good about the whole project. I had to grind off some spot welds on the muffler flange to re-angle the muffler. It's in but a bit loose now. I fired it up with some jumper cables and went for a mow! The extra 4.5 HP (and a feshly sharpened blade) make a huge difference. Now on to devising a simple wiring scheme to be able to use the starter

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Glad that you got it running,and mowing,that's a big step.your new engine ,must be electric start,only,otherwise,you could just just ,start it up manually,and go on.I seldom use the electric start,on my Honda engined re-powered RER,since the battery problems,don't seem worth,the trouble,since it almost always ,starts on the first pull,but sometimes,when it stalls,and I have to get off, to re-start,I miss it.Both Both,NOVAZ27,and I have posted,some examples,of wiring schemes but since we don't know much about,your mower,or engine,it's tough to make many suggestions.Were you surprised,how easy it was,to "re-power"?Let us know how it comes along.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only problem now is the new engine blew off the old cutter belt after an hour of moving. Does anyone know the size. The snapper is a old school one with the white handlebars.

I can't find the size (length of the belt) on line. Could be a 70"?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
It looks to be a "hi-vac".too big for a 25',A 28" OR A 33".if you used the old drive disc/pulley,it should be the same size,as the old one,let me look,It looks.like #7010749 for the 28"(a-a 68") and 7022252,for the 33'(no size given) that's strange,because my series 21,28" deck uses the 7022252,belt,too? I found an aftermarket belt at a bearing,chain&belt place,for $19.95,I also found one at NAPA,once.).Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That looks like my machine which started as a 33113S and is now a 3311x5S.
The deck looks like a 33" like mine.
I ordered my belt from Sohar's / RCPW.
ITEMS:
Qty - Price - Part# - Desc
1 - 13.39 - STE 265199 - OEM Spec Belt
Shipping to Canada was 7.99 two years ago.
The belt is 6 sided.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tractor Supply has a great selection of Husky brand Kevlar/Aramid belts ranging from $16=$20. I think you can look them up online if you have the correct part # to cross reference. They had them in stock locally for an old Murray I am rebuilding " long story there". Might be worth a look see.
BYW 33" is the largest single bladed RER offered. The 41" & 42" were multi blade decks.
I believe the size of the 33" diameter deck required the longer belt. The later design series probably had engineering or bean counter changes made that dictated the longer belt.

GITTIN ER DONE

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I looked at the 7022252 belt, and it's listed at 72.25"long,I think the last aftermarket belt,I bought, was tagged "A-A 72".

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Got a 71 1/4 inch six sided belt sent from Amazon for free for 11.40. Works perfectly. The mower runs perfectly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Good to know about the great Snapper belt deals on Amazon. I do not need belts yet. I will look there when the occasion arises.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts