My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Snapper Rear Engine 1990 Series 7 30087BE with a 30" deck.

Can I buy a brand new Series 23 33" Hi-Vac deck and expect it to fit? (Ebay item 220926018404)

Is the Hi-Vac that much better that it would be worth the cost ~ 150 dollars? I'm primarily interested in mulching grass and leaves and am considering buying a grass catcher to use only for leaves. It seems I'd be best to upgrade the deck (if it is indeed an upgrade) before I buy the bagger since they are specific to either the 25/30 or 28/33.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Hi Vac is much better for what you are wanting to do. However If it were me I would just sell the Snapper you currently have and buy one with what you want. I think in the end you will wind up spending the same ammount of money but you wont get into miss matching parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess even if it would have fit it's too much money. I guess I'll just keep an ear open and some cash ready for when that magical 33" Hi Vac with a bagger and larger engine shows up on craigslist. And maybe in the mean time get a gator for the leaf cleanup (I'll probably still rake the bulk and mulch what's left behind).

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
995 Posts
For stability the 33" RER's had a wider front track as compared to a 28"/30" deck. It is just a few inches difference but it is there. OMO the Snapper Ninja blade beats a Gator blade hands down. I have one on my 33". If you use the blocking plate and the leaves are dry the Ninja will grind them in to fine particles. I use my Weedeater blower attachment to first blow the leaves into rows then attack the row with the Ninja Blade. I have not used the bagger for picking up leaves for a few years now.

MY $0.03 WORTH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nova,

I appreciate the response. The cheapest I've seen a ninja blade has been 65 dollars used and shipped on ebay. The Gator's are 23 bucks all day on Amazon. I have a few black walnut trees and some oaks so I imagine my blades will take a beating especially during leaf cleanup. So I am keeping an eye out for a ninja, just hasn't hit the price point yet especially considering I would trade this out for a 33" with a larger engine and bagger if one hits craigslist this summer.

I think our strategy will have to be raking the majority of the leaves and nuts and then mulching what's left. It will be a lot, most of my yard can barely grow grass we have so many trees.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
My '05 28" Snapper came equipped with a Ninja when i bought it from the previous owner.

The problem here in my part of Indiana, is being able to have the leaves dry enough to pile in rows and shred with the Ninja.

(Last Fall anyway)

:dunno:

·
Registered
995 Posts
There may be a reason you cannot grow grass under your trees. Walnut trees have a causal agent which is a chemical called Juglone, which occurs naturally in all parts of the black walnut. This chemical effectively stunts growth under a Walnut tree. Mulching Walnut leaves & nuts & such just concentrates this chemical. There are studies out on the web if you are interested. Plus to much shade may hinder grass growth. I hope you find that 33" RER. The blade tip speed on a 33" is something to behold. Just get enough horsepower to keep the blade's rpm up there in it's operating range. My 14hp Kohler Command does a nice job powering it's 33" blade.

LATER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.