My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've received another free Snapper. This one had a bent engine shaft and is not self-propelled so I'm not going to keep it. My brothers wife will not use a self-propelled mower, she says they scare her. I plan to put another motor on it and give it to them. I have a 6hp engine from a rusted out Craftsman. If I line the mounting holes up the engine sets sideways like the old one but the pull starter is on the chute side. I would like to mount it like it was on the Craftsman but there are no mounting holes for that. Any reason not to drill new holes in the deck? I removed the chute to make finding the holes easier but the engine clears it in both positions.
Cannon
World Font Rectangle Water Space
Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Machine
Automotive tire Vehicle Light Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
John Deere X595 with 45 loader, 445, 430, 330, and too many more
228 Posts
I'd go ahead and drill new holes so it can be mounted the correct direction. I don't think it will harm anything.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Hello there
I did same for my uncle has Snapper mower using similar Briggs engine when you place
engine back on the deck face engine forward spark plug same position forward toward front
wheels please let me know how this works out your friend Scott

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fooled around with this Snapper a while this morning. I bolted the engine down like the original was, sideways. The old engine had a slot for a half moon key to hold the blade adapter. The new engine has a slot. I got some 3/16 key stock that fit the shaft but was to large for the adapter. I considered filing the key down to go in the adaptor but there is nothing to keep the key from working it's way up and out of the adapter. I prowled through my junk and found another blade and adapter. The photo makes the blade look longer but it's not. I put the old blade and adapter on the engine and marked the blade location. Then I installed the new blade and adapter and marked it. The new blade is about 3/16 lower than the old one but still an inch up from the bottom of the deck. Now to see if I can get the control cables to work.
Cannon
Grille Hood Wood Automotive tire Bumper
Automotive tire Tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

1 - 4 of 4 Posts