My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fellows,a while back I posted as to how many have seen a "chrome" snapper.I was refering of course to the chrome handle bar.I also said I'd be getting in one for a complete restore,Well,I got it,so here goes.To begin with it's a winter project so time is not an issue,plus it's almost to cold to paint,it was 27deg.this morning;but I'll continue doing what I can weather permiting.Here's what it looked like,and it DID have chrome plating on the handle bar-whoda thunk it!:dunno:Stats would be;8hp.B&S(eng.was replaced in 94) 30in.whack,single pedal,no switch,lever operated parking brake,pull start,1960ish.Oh btw,has a metal tank,but I had already removed it when I took the pics.This ole boy was purchased by a friends dad when new,and he showed me a pic,with him on it when he was a kid!! The deal is he wants it for his grandson who is about the age he was in the original photo.I can't put it back exactly as it was,some parts are just not made any more.But I'll do what I can to keep the look.:trink40:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more,These pics. are really bad.The sun was going down and shade and leaves were taking over.Btw,can someone tell me how to post a pic.then type a line,then post another type a line,etc.Not that puter sharp.lol

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't wait to see the progress and final results!

Tires look like the treads are in pretty good shape, do you have any idea if they are original/how old they are?

I like the Snapper decal on the rear of the main case, I imagine it would be pretty sharp looking when shiny.

-Calhoun

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't wait to see the progress and final results!

Tires look like the treads are in pretty good shape, do you have any idea if they are original/how old they are?

I like the Snapper decal on the rear of the main case, I imagine it would be pretty sharp looking when shiny.

-Calhoun
Yup,those are the originals-(but dry rotted)Replacing all the tires.Everything is original,except the eng.As to the year--It was right after they started making'em,early 60's was my guess.You know I love that decal,but I'm just not sure if I can save it? I cleaned the whole thing with some orange cleaner and a pressure washer before I started and now the decal looks kinda sick around the edges.Live-n-learn,I guess.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well fellows,been pittling here & there on the re-store.Not a whole lot of step by step pic.(I know,just shoot me) but here's a few during.Busted it all down,went thru trans.Repaired deck,it had some rot.I'll be replacing kings pins,tie rods,all bushings in front & steering tower and deck mounting rod.all the forementioned were either broke or worn out.Sanded,primed everything.Pics.are before the primer.If you've ever worked on the steering on these older models,you know, if everything isn't right they get pretty sloppy.Updates before long.:trink40:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys,I findley finished this ole boy,here's some pics.I replaced the original seat cover,owners request.Hope ypu like it.

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,298 Posts
:homer: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pretty!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Congradulations on a Great looking Redo. You have accomplished something that we procrastinators aspire to do. I have been meaning to join Procrastinators Anonymous but I always seem to forget to go and do so.
Actually your restoration reminds me of how my Fathers first Snapper RER looked way back in the late 60's. I still have that mower out in the shed just a waiting a redo. Come on warmer weather. So we can GIT ER DONE.

LATER

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! Always nice to hear compliments.89YT12- I've enclosed a pic.of brand & color of paint.I've looked around & tried a few different shades and brands,but this is the one I like best,real close to orginial.I'll be delivering mower this fri.I'll let you know how he likes it.:trink40:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thanks guys! Always nice to hear compliments.89YT12- I've enclosed a pic.of brand & color of paint.I've looked around & tried a few different shades and brands,but this is the one I like best,real close to orginial.I'll be delivering mower this fri.I'll let you know how he likes it.:trink40:
:thanku:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just a curious question here. How well does that Rustoleum paint you used hold up? Is it sprayable? Thanks for any information.

LATER

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a curious question here. How well does that Rustoleum paint you used hold up? Is it sprayable? Thanks for any information.

LATER
I normally try to use Valspar,but couldn't find the right color off the shelf.
By hold up,not sure about the question.If you mean long term--Rustoleum is fine for this type application.I don't know if I'd use it on a car,well maybe?I'm sure there are way better paints out there,base coat clear coat,etc.As for spraying-does pretty much as any other.I use the old school type gun with container on the bottom.I'm kinda self taught in painting.Mixing thinner,hardener,etc.is not done by the book.But on larger surfaces I get a better look with a gun than rattle can.I just know by feel how much to use.All guns have their little querts.Really wish I was better at it!:trink40:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thank you for the information. The reason I was asking is I bought (at Cargo Largo) some Rustoleum rusty metal primer in the gallon can just like the can your Sunrise Red came in. This primer is sprayable using Rustoleum's thinner. All the Blogs I have read about Rustoleum say to use their topcoat over their primer. Looks like I will be learning how to spray paint mowers & such this spring. Does the Rustoleum hold up to fuel spillage/leaks?

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts