My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I inherited my Dads Series 19 Snapper rear engine rider mower (m281019BE)
Anyhow, the engine threw a rod...not pretty...engine toast.

I bought a replacement engine off fleabay (2100000 series 10.5 hp B&S). Its not a direct replacement, but I'm having a go at the swap

So far, the old engine is removed and everything is cleaned for the new engine. Before the install, I wanted to make sure the wiring was OK. Uh oh, the old engine was tossed....so I only have a shaky memory to remember what went where.

Questions: I looks like the new motor has an AC and DC alt. output (2 wires). The 3rd wire looks to come from by the plug, I assume this is the coil grounding wire to kill the engine (yes???????)

Anyone have a wiring diagram of what I should wire where? Should I just use the AC wire? My factory snapper op. manual is pretty useless..no wiring diagram. The replacement engine has no wire diagram....

Also: I'm going to need a muffler.....can someone suggest a good source to send the exh. the right direction?

tHANKS!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Here are some basic wiring schematics for various mowers. You can get a basic idea of what you will have to do from them. Your new/old engine probably has a DC charging circuit only. The two wire cable is probably ground & positive 12vdc. I would look the engine up on the Briggs website to make sure. Other posters here may have the answer for you.

HOPE THIS HELPS

OH YEAH

:MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

This is a"schematic" diagram of your stock series 19 mower with Briggs electric start.It comes from the Snapper series 19 parts list,you can download this and other Snapper literature,at the "RER manuals" in the sticky" on the Snapper forum index page.A "schematic" is a simplified diagram,and only shows the Snapper wiring,not the Briggs wiring,there is also an "electrical system"page with the electrical,components,harnesses,and some connection information,and parts numbers.We would really need,the full engine number s to know exactly what engine you have ,all the "2100000 series" tells, us is that it is a 21 cubic inch engine.Most likely,and I can't say for sure,is that it is an engine from a front engine mower,probably with lights,and/or electric clutch,and has a "dual" electric system. Which has both AC&DC wires.I think that Briggs uses a connector,with,red (DC) and black (AC) wires.you could probably use it "as is" by just connecting the red wire to the stock wire(labeled A)white going to the "hot" side of the solenoid. you should watch the fluid level in your battery,in case the higher amperage tries to "boil" it dry.You can ,probably just hook up your,stock battery wire(labeled B,black) to the new starter terminal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine number: 215807 Type 0324 Trim E1
Snapper Machine: m281019be

Engine has 2 wires from the alternator; 1 red, 1 black going into a 2 pin plug. There is another black wire coming from under the spark plug shroud, I assume the coil ground (kill) wire. All three wires come together into a second moulded plug.

The mower has no moulded plug to connect to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what can i us the AC for? Do you think there will be enough output to add lighting up front? That might be nice to have especially if the output is higher.

I guess I can put in a voltmeter to see the output at diff. rpm.

Last thing....muffler. any suggestion? the old 10hp muffler doesn't fit into the new 10.5 hp exhaust port.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Here are the manuals concerning your new/old engine. Down load/ Save them to your computer if you wish. You will have to ascertain as to what your engine has by referring to the manual. Page 9 on the parts manual shows several alt. combinations. As far as a muffler is concerned I do not know if one from an earlier Snapper series will retro fit. There were "many" exhaust combinations used over the years. There was a sort of universal fit that worked on both Briggs & Tecumseh engines 10- 11hp. back in the 1980s. It had a u bend pipe & muffler that put the muffler back at the rear of the mower. I am sure that there is something out there that will work. You will just have to do the research. May be do a little tweaking here & there. But once you figure it out you will probably say GEEZ that was simple enough.

LET US KNOW HOW IT IS GOING.

LATER

Attachments

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Your new engine seems to be equipped with the "Dual Circuit"Alternator. The AC(black from the engine) and DC(red from the engine). Actually,the alternator,only produces AC current,but you need Dc to charge a battery,so B&S uses a diode,(its like a one way valve for electricity)to change the AC to "pulsating DC" but that's good enough for battery charging.It seems that B&S makes a female plug,and harness,P/N 398661,which costs $16,the illustration,of the dual circuit alternator (attached),shows the diode,enclosed in the connector,so it would be easier to just get the female connector,and modify thr wiring downstream.The DC wire only delivers,3 amps so ypu won't overcharge the battery

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Your engine appears to be an overhead valve,you can tell by the "rocker arm cover" on the head,it will say "OHV" on it ,the plug should be above the "cover. The Snapper muffler appears to be # 7074453,and is listed to fit "all Briggs,OHV"11-17.5 HP",the earlier "flathead" engines used much different mufflers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: waiting for a few parts to come in to complete the swap: 1: new belt, 2: new rubber wheel kit, 3: Muffler for the new OHV engine, 4: brake cable.

The engine has the DC and AC wires together in 1 - 2pin connector. The coil wire come in seperately. All three then coverge into a 3 pin. Acc. to the wiring diagrams, I should be able to connect the 2 pin engine connector to the snapper 2 pin (on 1 wire is used for the DC wire). Looks like all the coil ground wires (3 of them) just get tied together for the seat switch, key pedal kills.

Question: what can I use the AC lead for? for lighting , I'd need s rectifier to make DC....anyone suggest one?
thanks

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The RER,didn't use lights,so your engine was,used on some machine that did use lights,or some other AC accessory.That's why the Snapper electric schematic,doesn't show the wiring for the"dual circuit" alternator.The diode,in the connector,is the rectifier,to make DC,for battery charging. most small lights used on mowers etc. will work with AC.There should be a connection for the mag ground on the "throttle plate",where the throttle cable attaches,or it might go straight to the "switch", "teeing" off to the "Module system,as shown on the schematic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts