My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

With my recent foray into the lawn boy world (10525, 10324), I've been taking note of many more subtleties when it comes to mowing, mowers, and general yard/lawn care.

I never side discharge (too messy - although a friend of mine just bought a new house, and during the purchase and sale/moveout period the lawn had grown EXTREMELY long - 1+ foot high, very thick, and heavy - he couldn't cut it with his 4 stroker so we broke out the 10324, removed the toe guard, and it PLOWED through that grass - nothing else I've own or seen used would have cut this save for a large commerical mower) For my mulching needs, the Lawn Boy(s) is an excellent mower. The mulching fan does a good job of grinding the pieces down to small bits and the deck design seems OK for mulching - its not a Super Recycler, but then again, the Super Recycler isn't a 2 stroke :)

One thing I still found wanting with the lawn boy was evenness of cut and bagging performance. Both were *good* but not *amazing*. In particular, the suction when bagging seemed good-to-average. I have alot of maple seed "propellors" that embed themselves in the lawn and drive me crazy. The Lawn Boy(s) were getting some, but not enough to make me totally happy. Knowing that in the fall the propellors get much much worse, I decided that having a separate mower for bagging would be the solution (like how I just talked myself into another piece of OPE there - twisted logic indeed!)

Research here, and elsewhere on the web, led me to believe that the best cut and bagging to be had was with a Snapper Hi-Vac, so I made it my mission to get one. I researched what was available used locally (nothing self propelled), what was available new locally, and what was available on the internet. I determined that short of finding a used 2-stroke snapper, which would be difficult at best, my best bet was to buy new and keep it for life. I hate 4 strokes with a passion, but there was no other option here :-(

Based on a number of factors (cost, experience with the brand, availability of spares, predicted usage) I decided to go with the Snapper Hi-Vac with the 8.75 Briggs and Stratton. I mowed with it for the first time tonight, and I am nothing short of amazed. The suction is incredible, the cut is *PERFECT*, and the ease of use is great too. Even the OHV briggs sounds OK (its no 2 stroke, but it sounds nicer to my ears than the flathead series) Were it not for my love of 2 strokes, offset decks, and green paint, I'd have sold the lawn boys on the spot ;) (no I wouldnt have)

The Hi-Vac comes with the optional ninja blade and mulch plug, but I have no intention to use them - the rolled lip design of the snapper deck isn't really conducive to mulching, and I simply want to use the Lawn Boys for mulching anyways.

The bottom line here is: If you have the option to pick up a snapper - DO IT - you wont regret it. They mow great, and the solid axle design and snail-like deck give them a quirkiness and appeal not unlike that of the Lawn Boys. I'm glad I got one, and look forward to using it, especially come the fall.

Here's a few pics of the machine after I waxed it and before the first mow.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thats a nice mower but i used a snapper with the bag and i was short of amazed. the best bagging 2 stroke mower out there is a M series lawn boy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Congratulations on the new Snapper. It looks very nice. I've never used one, but if i were in the market for a new mower, I would definitely check the Snappers out.

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
What a beauty!! :thThumbsU

and i agree about the perfect cut. i used to work at a box store and when people bought new mowers the manager would tell them i would remove the old ones from theyre yards. a woman gave me a 4 year old "whipper snapper" that needed a carb clean to make it run A1. anyway, that mower gave the nicest even cut i have ever seen! ive since sold it because i was moving but i am always on the lookout for another.

keep the oil changed filters cleaned etc... and your great grandchildren will still be running that mower as snapper builds that good of a product! :trink39:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"the best bagging 2 stroke mower out there is a M series lawn boy."

I've never run an M so I can't compare, but with Toro using the M-Deck for their version of the Hi-Vac, I bet it's a great bagger!

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
I have an older 1970's snapper with a 3.5 horse B&S with a 19inch deck. I can at least say that snapper makes one heckuva nice deck. It hasn't even started to rust yet and there solid as a wall. Those snapper solid axles are very nice too as mine's wheels aren't even wobbly yet. You said yours has 8.75 horses? Holy cow I'd like to see what that could do!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I like the looks of the snapper, glad you got one, this will be my next new mower, I picked up a honda at Homedepot but returned it because of the BBC was messed up and wasnt totally impressed with it.... Have fun with it.:fing32:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think B&S is playing the "numbers game" with ignorant consumers and now stating the torque rating instead of the horsepower, so the numbers on the shroud look bigger. Of course Joe Consumer just buys it because bigger is better, not knowing the difference between horsepower and torque.
I could be wrong, but I have seen several B&S engines labeled this way.

As for Snapper, I mowed with one when I was a kid. My parents bought a new 1983 19" Snapper with a 3 HP B&S engine on it. Biggest POS I ever used. The evenness of cut was mediocre at best, it was grossly underpowered, and the chute would clog in anything but perfectly dry grass. Even long dry grass would grind it to a halt if enough got wedged between the blade and the rolled lip of the deck.

Once I started getting into Lawn-Boys, I mowed with my first rebuild project...A freebie 7264 with a D-601 that someone straight-gassed, and it was like going from a Chevette to a Cadillac. Better cut, better discharge, much more power, and even being a 21" instead of 19", it was lighter and more maneuverable.

The Snapper got pushed to the back of the shed till my parents finally gave it to someone from their church. Even my dad liked the Lawn-Boy better, and now it's the only walk behind mower he'll use. He liked my 10525 so much he bought it from me, and I got another one for free to replace it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Without a doubt B&S is playing the numbers game, just like most other manufacturers. In the one time I've used the snapper, it doesnt feel any more or less powerful than the Duraforce. Knowing the Duraforce from my experience with it in Toro snow blowers, however, my money is on the Lawn Boy for power. Certainly I didn't buy the Snapper because of some numbers game. Having built and raced cars and karts extensively and competitively on a national level I'm relatively familiar with the difference between torque and HP ;)

For what its worth, the 8.75 isn't HP, its "gross torque" which is open to alot of interpretation.... I'd guess its probably about 5hp nominal.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I sort of figured the 8.75 was torque not horsepower. And to clarify, I wasn't making the assumption that you bought it for that reason. I was just stating that their current marketing trend seems to target the typical lemming "big box" consumer.

I also have built and raced some cars, and I'm currently helping my buddy with his dirt street stock, a GM G-body with a 355" SBC with Vortec heads, 'glide, and 12-bolt. I still believe dirt is for farming, not racing, but I digress...Ya gotta start somewhere, and we all liked playing in the mud when we were kids. :trink39:

A 8.75 HP OHV engine on a walk-behind mower would be cool though! Maybe with a little head work and different cam profile, it could be possible out of that size engine.
Edit: Forced induction? I wonder how much boost could be achieved, if any, if some of the cooling air were directed into the carburetor?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No sweat DodgeGuy - I figured as much, but my inner manliness needed to speak up and proclaim to the world :fing20:

The trend in engine ratings is bizarre to say the least - I have experience with the Briggs 8.75 on a pressure washer and was happy with that experience, so I went with what I knew. Plus, I prefer the OHV to the flathead design when possible, and I have been thoroughly unimpressed with all of the Hondas I've tried/used/owned. (though the available Kawasaki gets rave reviews, I've never experienced one running)

As a road racer, dirt is taboo to me, mainly because if I find myself running on it, it means I've screwed up :Stop: Though dirt racing can teach amazing car control as evidenced by some of my racing buddies who do it regularly.

Currently I'm running a Formula Rotax 125cc kart, a street stock Corvette (autocross) and moonlighting in other SCCA road racing series as rides are available/drivers needed for endurance races. I've never run ovals but I'd love to try someday.

I think the ideal solution for all mowers would be to run a lawn boy 2-stroke :)

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
yep they are nothing short of amazing at vacuming. there is even a ultra high lift blade that you attach wings to for added lift. its seldom needed. here in fla over use of snappers will actually kill your grass as it sucks the soil away from the shallow st aug roots! there isnt another mower that has even close to this much vacume. its an increadable time /work saver for my lawn biz.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have often wondered if a snapper would convert me from LB's.
I am always looking for something to mulch up my grass clippings because it grows so fast mowing weekly with 2 LB's. My wife has her favorite.

I like getting other opinions, seems everyone agrees that these can bag like mad. Im more of a mulcher......congrats on that super clean deck!

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Superbuick, you should have been watching E-bay several months ago, I had a NOS RP 21500 T-2 listed with the Tecumseh TVXL 840 two cycle engine. It sold for $280 with the bagging kit. You did make a good choice though- that Snapper will outlast and number of Honda's and parts are a fraction of the cost. If you want to improve its suction even more, opt for the commercial bag with the plastic slide, it has larger breathing surface than the stock bag.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
...the rolled lip design of the snapper deck isn't really conducive to mulching,
Au contraire.... My '96 has the typical "rolled lip" and will mulch to the point of vanished clippings with the Ninja. Don't knock it til ya try it!:D Wish I could get ½ as good performance from my hi-buck JD 48C w/Gators...

Deck design, blade design/sharpness, engine torque - RPM, lawn grass/length, forward speed all contribute to the cutting effeciency of any mower. What type of engine is spinning the blade does not!

I know, I know....:lalala: :lalala: :lalala:

:sidelaugh

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rscurtis - DANG! I was just getting into lawnboys at that time and barely knew a thing about Snappers. Got any pics of it? Also - do you happen to have the Part # for the commercial bag? I've already ordered a high lift blade with wing kit for the fall - the comm bag seems like an ideal complement to it.

hydroharold - Good to know! Maybe I'll give it a try!

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I figured the 8.75 number was the cubic inches of the engine, lol.

Only thing about those newer Briggs engines that's different from the old 3.5 HP models is the fact that they have overhead valves. Probably brings them up to 4 or 4.5 HP.

I use my Whiz-Mow's with their old 3.5 HP engines and can't figure out just why you would need anything bigger...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Very nice. I especially like the hi-vac deck. I grew-up in envy of the Snapper mowers my Aunt had and my first mower was a 3-1/2 hp self propelled Snapper Hi-Vac - red white trim! I gave it to my in-laws and after they thought they wore it out, they gave it back to me - ready for a restoration.

I think the Snapper steel deck is the toughest of any mower. I also like the ability to run the drive speed down to what I call low range - which I use to mow off my garden.

Do they cut better than the LB, I've never done a side by side. Do they discharge as well as the LB - no. But, both are keepers.

Enjoy!
Bill

1 - 20 of 36 Posts