My Tractor Forum banner

Snapper Hi-Vac? Please help identify

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  pintopkp 
#1 ·
Hello all. Thinking about purchasing this; have yet to look at it. Is anyone able to tell if this is a Hi-Vac and what year it might be without knowing the model number? He says he has a "bagger" for it that's just missing the "deck moutning bolt".

I've just started collecting/restoring mower as a hobby, so pardon my ignorance. :sorry1:

This one will be for my own use.

Thanks for your help everyone!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/grd/1265316794.html

#2 ·
It is definitely a Hi-vac. Judging from the rear tires that appear to be narrow, it would be a 25". I see it has blade-stop pedals. I think they were on series 6mowers. My guess would be that the model is probably 25086BE (25", 8HP, 6series, B&S, elec start) or similar. I'm thinking it is probably lates 80s vintage.

Normally, the first two digits in the engine code # would be the year the engine was built which would give an idea of age. I'm pretty sure this engine is not original since it is black and Synchro-Balanced. Mowers of that era came with white engines and were not SB.

Maybe Walt will chime in on this. I have been out of the business for over 10 years, but I knew my Snappers quite well, back in the day.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Mow Joe! I was hoping to find one with the white engine, but this will do (especially if its newer). I'm guessing the engine it currently has is ok to use on it?

Seller emailed me the model#: 25066S. I'll post that when I get it so everyone here can tell me any pros/cons/things to look out for. I have a thing for RER Snappers; reminds me of my childhood as when I was younger, my neighbor always had one. I'd like to fix it up a little (even though it seems to be in good condition as it is) and use it for it's bagging capability (my Cub Cadet doesn't bag and the kit(s) are expensive). Are these hard to recondition? Parts available?

If anyone else has any advice/precautions about this tractor, don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks again!

#4 ·
It was originally equipped with a 6HP Tecumseh.

Parts should be readily available. It would be easy for me to recondition, but I could do it in my sleep since I sold and repaired them for the better part of two decades.

Also, the bagger adapter is attatched to the deck with a carriage bolt that can be purchased at any hardware store. I believe it is 5/16 X 3/4.

#5 ·
Excellent! Should be a good project for me. I'm guessing the price is a little steep at $450 (the most expensive I saw one liek this going for was something like $350 on eBay), but this one has a new(er) engine and seems to be in good condition; not to mention it's 10 minutes from my house. Maybe I can see if he'll take less.

Any other advice anyone?

Once again, thanks Mow Joe.

#6 ·
I have nothing to add to what Mow Joe said other than in this area the price would be very high which is why I quit dealing in them several years ago, no market, price especially high for a 25" one AND electric start now hooked up??

Of course being close by is a plus.

Walt Conner

#7 · (Edited)
Price is kind of steep now that I'm looking around. My best offer is $375; I feel comfortable with that being that this is a nostalgia piece as well. Missed out on one on eBay last night; went for 202.25, but had engine problems. There's another one in North Jersey (farther, but not too far), different model, without a bagger; auction ends Wednesday afternoon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180379158314&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

I'm guessing this one will go for around $300, but again, there's no bagger and it has the original engine. Any chance that I could get a bagger on the one I just listed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.