My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady gave me a snapper and I noticed the gas cap has what appears to be a pressure relief on it with a set screw. What is that all about?

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
It's a vent.
tighten it down before tilting the Snapper on its 'tail.
(Should have less than 3/4 tank of gas to avoid leakage.)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
As calrec says you only need the closed vent,to sit the mower on the "rear bumper" and if you don't open it,after turning it upright , the engine will soon die. All gas tanks need a vent of some sort,to let fuel flow,the Snapper shows up because it has a valve to shut.The cap is Snapper PN 7012515,and aftermarket caps are also available,prices $7 to $9.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As calrec says you only need the closed vent,to sit the mower on the "rear bumper" and if you don't open it,after turning it upright , the engine will soon die. All gas tanks need a vent of some sort,to let fuel flow,the Snapper shows up because it has a valve to shut.The cap is Snapper PN 7012515,and aftermarket caps are also available,prices $7 to $9.
That makes sense. So it should be open and only closed before standing it on end?

Funny how sometimes, things that make so much sense just never occur to me till someone points them out.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It can't hurt to close it when letting it sit for a time,it keeps moisture in the air from condensing water in the tank,and insects from making it a nest.But for long term storage,draining is still best.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Heck, I close mine every time I park it in the garage. I used to like the odor of gasoline when it was gasoline, but not so much any more. And, I don't want to have combustible fumes possibly build up. When I take it out to mow, I soon find out if I forgot to open it...
tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
The caps cost 30 bucks and up but the clear top piece with the vent screw comes off after a few years. I guess the gas dissolves the glue that holds the top part on. Without it the vent is certainly open, but it will also spill fuel all over the bnack of the tank over bumps when the tank is full. It is snapper part number 7044711 for the 4 inch one.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
As "homefried 1" didn't say what kind of Snapper he had,we might be confused.I assumed it was a RER and the 7012513 cap was the one,or a 7019377,if you wanted a gauge. The 7044711,is for a "yard cruiser or other"zero turn" mowers.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The last time I needed a Snapper RER gas cap I lucked out at WALLYWORLD they carried them at the time. They still may. At the time WALLY was selling Snapper RERs so that may be the reason they carried the gas caps. Still may worth a look since their price was quite a bit less than a dealer.

HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep DC several talked about the plastic top missing or that there was a plastic top and a set screw ( not plastic screw) which seems to describe the Yard cruiser 4" cap I mentioned.

NJ Snapper, if I could find the plastic top I would reglue it with fuel resistant epoxy. But I have never found them either of them the two times it came apart in the last five years. That is 60 bucks worth of gas caps! Ouch!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts