My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't bought a new clutch disc for your Snapper Comet in a while you need to be aware of this. I bought two locally and they were noticably different that the ones I had been getting at this shop. (They were also more expensive) The metal was almost chrome and the rubber tread looked like plastic (shiney)

Let me first tell you I have bypassed the smooth clutch system on my two Comets. I have the discs shimmed down to not move, eliminating the need for the friction liner, and making them act like the older Comet clutches.

Here is the shim I make for this purpose:

It goes inside the clutch disc and aligns it perfectly just like you had the old original three bolt clutch mount.

Now back to my story. The new shiney disc did not last through one section of my yard before ALL of the rubber tread was gone. I took the two back to the dealer. He, too, said he had been worried about the quality of these new discs. I got a full refund.

Then I went online and ordered 4 from Small Engine Warehouse. There picture looked like the old style. I told them I did not want the new shiney ones. When they arrived, they were the ones from Taiwan. I talked to them and agreed to try one. In short order it, too, came apart. See the chunk missing in the picture above. I returned them to SEW.

I them began a quest to find some of the original discs to stock up on. I found one at NAPA, their part number 7-04211. It looks like the ones I used to get. Here is a picture of it:

I have mowed several times using it and my shim with no chunking or trouble. The bad news is so far NAPA has not gotten anymore in. I hope they don't get the cheap Chinese ones, too.

So the bottom line, is be careful when you buy your next clutch disc. :banghead3

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Were the problem parts from Snapper or bootleg? The smooth start system will also enhance the life of the rubber lining.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The local guy used to be a Snapper dealer. I already said the other 4 were from Small Engine Warehouse. I do not know who their suppliers are. The local guy said he sent his first shipment of these new discs back to the vendor and ordered from another vendor and got the same thing.

I have a steep yard and the smooth clutch is ineffective for me. Most of them will only back up on level ground.

I bought my first Snapper Comet new in 1972. 26" with a 5 HP Tecumseh. I used it for over 20 years. I prefer the hard clutch like it had.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
A friend recently ordered one for me from Rotary Corp,and it was identical to the ones I have used for years. Don't know how many manufacturers there were,Snapper must have outsourced them at some time.The new "Craftsman"(RER copy) lists the driven disc as 7053103 YP.Same number with a suffix YP.Sears is list(dealer) price,if someone orders one from Sears, please report to us.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

The disc from NAPA is still doing fine. Small Engine Warehouse has been communicating with me and trying to find the original style. There emails had indicated they had located a supplier and would be shipping me some different ones this week. Yesterday they refunded my money. I think that may indicate they were not successful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more comment. My new local Snapper dealer only has the disc with the friction liner already installed in stock. He wants $24 for it. I have given him every part number and variation for the ones without the friction liner and he cannot find any on Snapper's dealer parts site. Apparently Snapper no longer supplies this part. He was not willing to exert any effort to locate this part for me. I think he will have a hard time being successful with this attitude.

Here are the part numbers I gave him:

1-7065

They work on other parts web sites.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
From my research the 7010765,is for the "non-smooth" clutch,if thats what you want,cameronsmallengines shows them for $12.95

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stopped in NAPA today and they had finally restocked. I guess there stock level is 1. I bought it for my other Comet. By the way, it is also made in Taiwan, but is the old style steel finish and tread.

The six I bought from Tulsa Engine Warehouse are on the way. I will post here what type they are. They have the lowest price I have found anywhere, $5.82. I hope they are the old style.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hit the MOTHER LODE! Instead of searching for Snapper disc I looked for Ariens 3003. I found them for $5.82 at Tulsa Engine Warehouse.

http://tewarehouse.com/7-04211

I chatted with them and they said even though they were imported, they had had no problems. I took a chance and ordered 6.

They are the old style! This may be a lifetime supply for an old guy like me. :trink40:

Their part number is the same as the NAPA's. Here is a picture of one of them:

·
RedPower User
5 Posts
If you haven't bought a new clutch disc for your Snapper Comet in a while you need to be aware of this. I bought two locally and they were noticably different that the ones I had been getting at this shop. (They were also more expensive) The metal was almost chrome and the rubber tread looked like plastic (shiney)

Let me first tell you I have bypassed the smooth clutch system on my two Comets. I have the discs shimmed down to not move, eliminating the need for the friction liner, and making them act like the older Comet clutches.

Here is the shim I make for this purpose:

It goes inside the clutch disc and aligns it perfectly just like you had the old original three bolt clutch mount.

Now back to my story. The new shiney disc did not last through one section of my yard before ALL of the rubber tread was gone. I took the two back to the dealer. He, too, said he had been worried about the quality of these new discs. I got a full refund.

Then I went online and ordered 4 from Small Engine Warehouse. There picture looked like the old style. I told them I did not want the new shiney ones. When they arrived, they were the ones from Taiwan. I talked to them and agreed to try one. In short order it, too, came apart. See the chunk missing in the picture above. I returned them to SEW.

I them began a quest to find some of the original discs to stock up on. I found one at NAPA, their part number 7-04211. It looks like the ones I used to get. Here is a picture of it:

I have mowed several times using it and my shim with no chunking or trouble. The bad news is so far NAPA has not gotten anymore in. I hope they don't get the cheap Chinese ones, too.

So the bottom line, is be careful when you buy your next clutch disc. :banghead3
How/where can I get a shim like yours?

xeniadan

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
MickeyNew&others:There have been complaints,of the quality,of replacement rubber discs,for several years.If you can get a quality disc for that price, then you,have found a gold mine.There has been a lot of conversation on this forum,about changing the "snapping"clutch to the "smooth" clutch(and the other way around). I must say I have never done this myself,but from what I've heard here,and reading the manuals.I'll venture a few comments.When the "smooth" clutch came out(series 4, I think),Snapper had a kit to retrofit the earlier series,these are no longer available,but are still in some parts manuals.MickeyNew"s shim seems a "quick&easy" solution,but if you don't have the tools,materials,or knowledge, to fabricate one,you might try using some of the 7014523 "thrust washers" to get the same effect.they are cheap and readily available,don't know how many you might need.If you are still using the "smooth" hub.you might be able to use the "liner",disc,but from what I've seen,the liner is easily removed.If you want the full "snapping" action you could use the old design hub(7020911),and bolt the disc to it.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

I just thought of another way to use the "Snapping"clutch action,on a machine,with a "smooth clutch". The illustration shows a "smooth" configuration.The disc has 7 holes,but are not used,on the "smooth" configuration.Probably,a 3 hole,and a 4 hole pattern.You could probably drill and tap a bolt pattern in the "smooth hub",and make it a "snapper". You could throw away the "cover","thrust washer"and the 4 "shoulder bolts"near the center.The bolt pattern would need to be pretty accurate,to keep "run-out" of the rubber disc,small.the bolts would need to not have too much "protrusion" on the back side,to clear the brake,on the later models,and the chaincase,on the earlier ones.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

I did some more research,and came up with a photo off E-bay,of the latest " Snaping" clutch hub.This is evidently,the replacement for the original hub,7020911.The latest number is 7060242YP,and seems to be readily available,prices from $20 to $45,looks like the 7010765/7053103 rubber disc,with or without "liner" work.From what i can tell the 7020911 has 3 threaded holes,and uses 3 bolts,with the heads,on the outside of the rubber disc.I said that the 7 holes were for either a 3 hole,or 4 hole hub,so it should have been for,a 3 hole or 5 hole hub.The 7060242,is also listed for some tillers,and snow throwers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK Kids, I'm lost as usual. What are "smooth" vs. "snapping" clutches? If they are as their names imply, one is user friendly and easy on the driveline, while the other is great for wheelies, lawn divots, and breakin' stuff! ($$$$$$$)! But from MikeyNew's posts, it seems the "smooth clutch" can't handle engine/traction torque without slipping, which doesn't sound good at all either!:Disgus::1336:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
OK Kids, I'm lost as usual. What are "smooth" vs. "snapping" clutches? If they are as their names imply, one is user friendly and easy on the driveline, while the other is great for wheelies, lawn divots, and breakin' stuff! ($$$$$$$)! But from MikeyNew's posts, it seems the "smooth clutch" can't handle engine/traction torque without slipping, which doesn't sound good at all either!:Disgus::1336:
When I worked on the disk in the series 13 a few weeks ago I put and extra fiber disk (item 4 in dc3mech post) on the other side of the rubber drive wheel. It behaves about like the nonslip drive in the 3081S. I haven't used it much but I don't see why it would cause any problems.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
There's been lots of talk,about the clutches,n the RER's,since I've been using this forum,(and also before that), As best I can tell,the original ones had the "all or nothing" clutch,(some say that is why they are called "Snapper",but I think they were using the Snapping Turtle,for a trademark,on even earlier machines). There were probably owner complaints,about the clutch action,causing Snapper to design the,"smooth clutch,and make a "kit"available,to retrofit the earlier models,so the dealers,and shops(or owners)could have a clutch,with a little "cushion",like the later series.The "snapping" clutch,was bolted "solid" to the hub,while the "smooth",one had some slip,as the disc was pressed,between the hub and drive disc.Look at both service manuals,concerning adjustment of them. Which is best?,that would be your conditions,and machine,and personal preferences,remember snapper made a 20 HP RER,and used the same clutch parts,as all "smooth"clutches.(422023BVE)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you for your replies!! My lot is 99% level the idea of a smooth operating clutch is what I would prefer. Now I know something else to look for! Happy Thanksgiving!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts