My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this Snapper 1855A on eBay. It looks like it's in Kentucky and being sold for pickup. It looks to be in good shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNAPPER-1855A-GARDEN-TRACTOR_W0QQitemZ110384544651QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b36e7b8b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Maybe some of the members here might be interested?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bid on it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck! I see that it has received a lot of interest since yesterday. I hope you get it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This morning the tractor was at 200.00, this afternoon it is already over 1000.00
I wander what you guys think it will bring based on what they have been selling for. This one is not to far from me and I plan to at least go take a look at it to see just how good it is. At the rate the bidding is going a person might be able to buy a new one or at least make a real good down payment on one. If I had it I would change it over to the Massey version and more than likely use the old style hood like the one that Olcowhand built.

It seems these tractors pop up for sale at the most inconvenient time of the year, or at least for me they do. Anyone know which rear 3 point mower fits this one? Was it made by Snapper or a different company or can one adapt something else? I ask as this one has the timed deck and that makes me a bit leary of being able to obtain deck parts if and when they are needed.

If there are more out there that are really interested in it I will be glad to share what I find out when I look at it this week. I don't know yet if I plan on bidding or not and even if I don't I want to at least check it out real good to learn what I can about them as I have never seen one up real close. Also if there are more than a few of you interested I would rather wait as if we all get started bidding then one of us is going to pay alot more for it.

I have several projects now that would keep me busy, but then again another red tractor would not hurt my feelings at all. Thats the only bad thing I can see about this hobby as its just impossible to just have one or two or three or.....:banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The three point mower that Massey made for this tractor was the same one that is on the belly. It was timed with belts and was 54". It was the same deck only it had the three point attachment and likely would have had to have a keyed PTO shaft. You could fab something to work back there though since there is a pulley back there, you could use a mule drive and belts to power it.

This tractor sure did climb in price. It's been sitting at $1500 for a few days now. I wish I could get it. Good luck if you are bidding.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The three point mower that Massey made for this tractor was the same one that is on the belly. It was timed with belts and was 54". It was the same deck only it had the three point attachment and likely would have had to have a keyed PTO shaft. You could fab something to work back there though since there is a pulley back there, you could use a mule drive and belts to power it.

This tractor sure did climb in price. It's been sitting at $1500 for a few days now. I wish I could get it. Good luck if you are bidding.
It wasn't me that won the auction. I did however go over and take a test drive though and I can say I was really impressed with the tractor. Whom ever bought it ended up getting a nice old snapper.

I was planning on bidding but after thinking about it after I got home that day I decided that for what I felt that it would bring that I could find something else in the Deere line for about the same. From what i saw the 1855 was in very good shape for its age and was really clean. It was clean everywhere and one could tell that it had really been taken care of. The only bad thing I could find really was the paint as it looked like who ever painted it used a different type of paint maybe and it caused the factory paint to lift and bubble up on most of the sheet metal.
Still it would have been easy to strip it down and repaint it. one other thing I noticed was that the idler belts seemed to jump around a lot on the front pto but that could have been caused by them being mismatched. It fired right up with out any smoke nor knocking and really seemed to have a lot of power. As for the tractor itself it did not have an hour meter so know one knew how many hours were on it. Also the dash plastic was cracked in several places and would have had to been replaced to look right as I don't think it could have been repaired and held.
I figured it would bring much more than it did and if I had not been on a tractor retrieval trip I would have most likely bid up to 1800 on it, but I didn't make it home with my new find in time so it ended at 1678. So the lucky bidder in my opinion did get there moneys worth. You sure could not build or buy one with the options it had for that price.
I ended up buying a JD 318 yesterday and had enough left over to buy a 3 point hitch for it and maybe another tractor that I am planning on buying.
Hopefully whom ever bought it is a member here and we will get to see more of it. And maybe another will come along shortly and close to home as well. We can always hope I suppose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would have liked to have had this one since mine does not have 3ph. I ran out of money at $1200.00. Now back to fixing & tinkering!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts