My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you guys know I picked up a FREE 1855 and 1650 from a small engine shop. The customers had been given quotes to repair and decided to never claim the machines. They sat outside through rain and snow for enough years to have moss growing on tires and plants growing out of the seat.

I was told the 1855 needed a hydro(has an eaton).
Seemed strange to me why the engine/aircleaner cover had been removed and the throttle cable had broken and had binder wire hooked to the linkage(handheld).

I am pretty new to garden tractor/small engines. I joined here as I was having frame issues with a new Craftsman DGS6500 a couple of years ago.

So I replaced the front pto switch and ignition switch and got a carb kit and float from Gary's(2nd carb I have ever touched). Installed a mr gasket 42s electric fuel pump and did an oil change.

Filled the front tire with a bottle of slime and bought a new fuel tank bushing/grommet.

She purrs like a kitten I just drove it up and down the driveway a few times, hydro works great(oil looks very clean) rear 3 pt works good.

Pretty cold out today though -20Celcius and we just had 6" of snow 2 days ago(first of the season).

Will try and update later with a few pics..she's ugly but functional.

Thanks to all who have helped along the way!!!:trink39:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys..

I won't mention the MTD960 and the Haban snowblower as well as a cutting deck for the mtd and for the 1650. As well as various tires/rims and seats couple of small tillers and some iron wheel weights and a sears snowblower for a suburban, the skeleton of a sears gt16 with 2cyl briggs..ok I'll stop.:thThumbsU

I could have got a Ford GTH18(needed carb)with deck and snowblower and a Ford LT16, also a JD lawn tractor with the 17hp kawasaki, but had hurt the tendons in my arm so they were crushed along with a bunch of newer mtd's and some rear engine ariens and a 90-something craftsman 18hp,there was also a case deck and blower and a couple os craftsman belt drive rototillers.

I was going to take most of it, but life gets in the way.
I almost didnt bother with the snappers, I grabbed the old mtd first and waited for a few months.

I didnt know what the Snappers were and didnt realise what a find they were.

So, it goes to show you how much stuff gets thrown away...I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the Fords.

I don't know what small engine guys charge in your neck of the woods but here the going rate at a small engine shop is $85 per hour. It's easy to kill old iron fast that way!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I did get a troy built horse tiller for free and it was delivered today :p

Now if I can only get everybody in the house well again, I might be able to get something working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts