My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too familiar with Snappers, I have a Wheel Horse and John Deere. What would something like this be worth?
Everything works.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I'm not good with garden tractors just cheaper riding mowers.

Some would only pay 500 or so but others looking for a certain mower would easily pay 1200-1500+ for that nice of shape, esp if with accessories.
I assume you have the deck for it.

It is same as massey furgeson so you might want to check out those forums for value and listings.
Craigslist and forums are best place to list to get good money.

People who like or want a wheel horse will pay good money for a nice clean one.
People who just want to cut grass will think it's a rip off.

·
21,425 Posts
There are only 3 JD GTs that can match its brute force. All have the same 2-speed final drive.

The mowers for these tractors have spindles lined up abreast requiring cogged timing belts. The cogged pulleys are NLA.

It has 2-spools for hydraulics with provision to add a third without a great deal of effort.

It's in good shape cosmetically. $500-600 as it is pictured. With additional implements, or if the purchaser has any familiarity with it's capabilities and wants to add a FEL, up to $1000 or more, depending on which implements. Bonus dollars if it comes with a 3PH and a rear PTO.

It has an Eaton 11 hydro as opposed to some of the MF versions with the slightly more potent Sundstrand hydro.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does have a 3 point hitch and a rear PTO.
Not certain I would ever use the deck, more interested in the plow and 3 point hitch capabilities. However, I dont want to spend my days trying to find parts if something fails.

Asking price is $1650.00 for it.

·
21,425 Posts
What are the 3 JD GTs? Do any of them have more brute force?
I’ll guess; 430, 420, 400.
Correct. Peerlless 2-speed final drive, same as the mf1650.

All are heavier, which results in improved traction, and larger engines, for a modest improvement in axle torque that is good for faster acceleration. It takes severe overballasting to make full use of the brute force available for any of the above tractors.

I do not advise overballasting. The final drive is only rated for 1250 lb-ft of torque, and the resulting high axle torque broke mine when I did.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
What about 445 and 455? How do they compare? The 455 was the next newer model of the 430 and the 445 was the next one from the 420. Are they lighter? They have more HP.

·
21,425 Posts
For maximum brute force, a 2-speed final drive and a hydro with high pressure capability are necessary. The 445 and the 455 lack both.

Horsepower is meaningless for getting a load in motion. Torque is the requirement. The older 120 has more torque available with a 12 hp engine due to the capability of the hydro.

With a maximum ballast load, a 430 will still spin it's tires in LO when faced with an immovable object. Even the 25 hp x739 won't do that.

That's what I refer to as 'brute force'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts