My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Snapper 1650 with pedal control and hydro lift on blade. Today was first chance to try it in snow. Man... that thing can push. Barely slows down as it digs into the snow and it piles up. Love the hydro control on the blade. That manual blade turner lever is a little hard to reach, but better than I've had on others, much easier. I plan on rebuilding this rig, needs freshening this summer. I LIKE it!

·
Super Moderator
23,338 Posts
Yup! These heavy tractors are brute force personified!

Wait'll you get it dressed for serious work.

·
Registered
638 Posts
What the heck are you doing over here,Gary?? Wait til I tell the PK gang you are a deserter.

If you can keep a secret, I've been using a 1655 for moving snow myself.It has ag tires with no chains and a back blade.It pushes well but does not steer very well.

·
Super Moderator
23,338 Posts
What the heck are you doing over here,Gary?? Wait til I tell the PK gang you are a deserter.

If you can keep a secret, I've been using a 1655 for moving snow myself.It has ag tires with no chains and a back blade.It pushes well but does not steer very well.
The 1655 is light on the front tires normally. Bolt some weight to the front. A hundred pounds should keep the tires in firm contact. The bucket on my FEL weighs 210 lb. Absolutely no problem steering.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I agree with the statement that these little tractors are darn tough units. I've got a 1450 that is the shops push tractor (moving disabled vehicles), a 1650 that is my main yard work tractor, and an 1855 that is just simply an ole war horse. I've got a 445 JD that is a good unit and I like it but I still prefer the MF's. I put the v61 five rib frt tires on the 1855 and it really helped with the steering traction. The tri-rib frts I put on the 1450 makes it feel like it's got power steering now, less than half the steering effert of the old turf tires.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello, i have a massey ferguson 1655 tractor that i want to tear down and redo, can anyone tell me if any parts are available?? I have checked ebay and cl but havent seen much. Now that i have finished my cub cadet 782d its time to tear into another one of my toys, lol, thanks brett.

·
Super Moderator
23,338 Posts
Hello, i have a massey ferguson 1655 tractor that i want to tear down and redo, can anyone tell me if any parts are available?? I have checked ebay and cl but havent seen much. Now that i have finished my cub cadet 782d its time to tear into another one of my toys, lol, thanks brett.
Have patience with eBay searches for 1655 parts. They do show up from time to time, but that can be at several months intervals. Many parts from Snapper and Massey Ferguson 1450/1650/1655/1855 tractors are interchangeable so that will give you more opportunities.

Knowing what parts you need can help the members here to direct you to possible sources or options.

These tractors are well worth the effort to do them right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
:dunno:Thank you for the info, my 1655 is just the tractor with a 3point hitch, i got the machine for free, with a blown onan 16 hp engine, i have replaced it with a briggs i had layin around and it works great, The biggest part that i will nedd to restore the tractor is the dash panel, its pretty well shot, the rest is just cosmetic, pain, body work,etc. The trans seems to work good in low it seems like a mule, and in hi it fly's. All the hydrolics work good also, 3pt, and the mid mount. Also i would like to change the tranny fluid and filter, does anyone know what type fluid is best to use? The filter i can most likely get at my local autoparts store, well thanks brett

·
Super Moderator
23,338 Posts
Also i would like to change the tranny fluid and filter, does anyone know what type fluid is best to use? The filter i can most likely get at my local autoparts store, well thanks brett
Most good quality hydraulic fluids are acceptable. I've been using Dexron since 1982 in mine due to mostly winter operation. Others use Type F ATF or motor oil, depending on their preference and conditions. As long as it meets Allison C-3 specs or better (C-4 now), you're good.

The oil filter is WIX #51410.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thank you i will probably use the type f trans fluid.I see you have a front end loader on your 1655, do you have any pics? That would be like the holy grail if i could find one of them for mine, but i think thats almost impossible from what i have found. brett.

·
Super Moderator
23,338 Posts
Thank you i will probably use the type f trans fluid.I see you have a front end loader on your 1655, do you have any pics? That would be like the holy grail if i could find one of them for mine, but i think thats almost impossible from what i have found. brett.
Sorry. No camera.

Here's one very similar to mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280814610268?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Check this thread.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=224396

Sorry for the thread hijack. :sorry1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts