My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why i look IN the ground as well as on the ground! we have huge cracks in the yard each summer, and i learned long ago to look in them before stepping on/over one. it was fat so my wife wanted to see what it had been eating. i cut it open and it was a she, full of babies. 19 of them!:thSick:

i usually won't kill a water snake if i know what it is, but if i cannot tell for certain it is dead.

Attachments

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Darn... that is something. I don't kill the black snakes around my land but I still DON'T like em! I just flat out don't like snakes! :fing32:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Those 19 babies would have eaten a bunch of mice. But having lived in MS, I don't blame you for being cautious.

·
10,839 Posts
That decides it. Snow up to my armpits and 15 below is not that much to tolerate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
my wife found this "lil" guy as she went to let the pups out for a spell.

Attachments

·
Professor of makin stuff
1,726 Posts
snakes give me the eb ge b's whoaha i found a couple garden snakes the other day while relocating the downspout catches and the thing i hate worst is that they friggin startle ya so much or ur reaching down to pick up some brush or something and across ur hand it crawls

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Don't like them much, try to remember what one old Green Beret Master Sergeant once told us, "God has ordered the snakes to defend in place!" Try to leave them alone as long as they aren't where they threaten my family or animals!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am with Cat, we get to -50 here some winters, and plenty of snow, but at least we have nothing that will scare me as bad as a bog old snake. no spiders that can kill ya either. I remind myself of that often, from October through May.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
We've got a lot of blacksnakes and copperheads where we live, I personally dont mind snakes but they freak a lot of folks out, my fiance included.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Saw the first snake of this year on my front steps yesterday!..:eek:..didn't get a good look at it,as I was driving my tractor by it and I only saw it slithering away,it went behind some large stones in front of the house--probably a garter snake,it was only about 18" long and half an inch thick...

Must have been a tough year to be a snake here,because usually I see quite a few by now..last year I saw 4 in a few weeks time,a rare ring necked snake,a rat snake,and a black racer and a garter snake..(all were small ones,probably babies)...this spring we had record floods that likely filled all their burrows,and then we had a very hot & dry summer,with weeks of 90+ temps and no rain..within the past week its dropped to as low as 37 degrees at night too!...weird thing is,many years here I wont see any snakes,until as late as october or november,after the first frost..makes me wonder why they aren't already hibernating..?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I use a bunch of different things to try and keep them away, but you can only do so much. Started seeing alot this past week, and they will keep coming for a while yet. My Brittany has got tagged in the face three times in the last four years by cottonmouth.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
We are going to start seeing more and more non native species in places that they don't belong. You could be way up north and come across a snake that escaped from captivity. A big snake could live a long time in an apartment building before it was found. Ed

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
We are going to start seeing more and more non native species in places that they don't belong. You could be way up north and come across a snake that escaped from captivity. A big snake could live a long time in an apartment building before it was found. Ed
Uhhh...thanks for that thought ! :Stop: I hear ya though... See where they've found a couple of alligators up here this summer ? Dumbass people think they make good pets.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Snakes are no friend of mine. Freaky little bastards - I mean no arms, no legs, no wings, no fins ? They should not be able to move right? We have a few around our parts and that does not please the misses. She saw a gartner and the wife pressed me to buy some "Nake A Way" for $18 a jug. I poured some old cat litter around and told her I "purchased" the expensive stuff so it should work right away! Shhh do not tell her.....

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Well, it dropped to 38F here yesterday morning, so I decided to get the woodstove going.
Pull the tarp off the stacked cord outside the door, and wouldn't ya know....a Garter snake about 15"16" laying there. I brought him in the house to scare the wife (she just rolled her eyes and said "put it back").
It was a really pretty one....almost looked like a Ribbon snke because the stripe was so clear and bright....but the brown body w/choc. markings were there.
I didn't think I'd see anymore this year. I guess fall happened on her too quickly.

·
Premium Member
9,956 Posts
Well, it dropped to 38F here yesterday morning, so I decided to get the woodstove going.
Pull the tarp off the stacked cord outside the door, and wouldn't ya know....a Garter snake about 15"16" laying there. I brought him in the house to scare the wife (she just rolled her eyes and said "put it back").
It was a really pretty one....almost looked like a Ribbon snke because the stripe was so clear and bright....but the brown body w/choc. markings were there.
I didn't think I'd see anymore this year. I guess fall happened on her too quickly.
Actually, they can form huge breeding colonies in October. I remember pictures from National Geographic (no, not THOSE pictures) of a town in Ontario where there were thousands of Garters everywhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts