My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to mytractorforum and am very happy to find a Snapper forum.

Of course, I have a question. And a story. I have a model M280917B that I love. I bought it used in 02 I'd never had a problem with it until this spring, when I couldn't get it to start. I took it to a local dealer and long story short I got back my mower without being repaired (my choice, someone ever tried to sell you a $300.00 carburetor?) and without some of it's parts (not my choice). I've had all the arguments with my former dealer -magic, thieving mice, etc- and have fixed the engine myself.

I went to Snapper's site and got the manuals, then to Briggs for the engine manual. One of the parts missing was the drive disk. The one with the rubber around it. I ordered one along with the paper thrust washer and the plate to hold it all together. Here's my question.

Is the driven disc suppose to be able to rotate independently from the hub after everything is bolted together? I've got at least 1/8 inch play. Since I'm not the one that took it apart I don't know if that's right. Somehow it doesn't seem right. But maybe that's the smooth part of the smooth clutch :confused: .

Thank you all ahead of time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You really need the old disk to compare it with. If you check my most recent post in this forum you'll see I encountered the same problem. I wound up putting my old disk back on, as there are two types, with an inside brake lining and without. Check my name "Rescuemo" and look at the thread I started on this topic. I got some good replies, and I'm trying to figure this out, too! Lol.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,553 Posts
You will have some slop, play, with the "Easy Start Clutch" and it will "free wheel" when pressure is not on it. I'd say you are OK as long as you have the liner inside the rubber tired drive wheel.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
63 Posts
Walt is right

Sound like you ok ---Put on and mow
I just replace the rubber on one of mine two week ago

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't have the old disk, i got the mower back from the dealer without it. He said it wasn't on it when he got it. I know it was there. I couldn't have mowed the last few years without it. I think my mower got scavenged for parts while it was there. I suppose they assumed that I would balk at $400.00 for a repair and would leave the mower there for disposal instead of fixing it myself.

Please excuse the angry tone. I'm still hot about the entire situation.

One good thing has come of it, though. After seeing some of the restorations on this site I think I'll put a little paint on her and see if I can fix her up a bit. Anyone know if 'Snapper Red' is available? The mechanicals will be sorted out very soon. I'm really impressed at the parts availability.

Thanks again, Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised about parts availability too, especially for a tractor from the 60s.

When I repainted mine, I went to Tractor Supply and picked up some New Holland Red, but that color is not available any longer (last time I checked).

Yesterday I picked up some International Harvester (IH) Red from TSC for painting the quick hitch for my new dozer blade for my Wheel Horse. It has a nice red color, a little too bright for a Snapper Red though. However, it is "supposed" to deepen in color tone over time >shrugs<

On my old Comet, the original Snapper red color appeared to be more of a reddish orange (more red than orange) -- almost like the engine paint Chevrolet used in the late 60s -- that Chevy Red-Orange (not to be confused with their straight orange color that everyone uses on their engines during restoration).

When restoring my Comet, I wasn't very picky with the color -- just wanted something that looked good and was somewhat close, figuring I might not find the original color they used back in the 60s. Regardless, it looks pretty good for a simple rattle-can coat.

Good luck! We want to see photos of the process, at least before and after pics!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here is a photo that shows you a pre-restoration color and the after-restoration colors of my old Comet 30. The handle bar in the foreground is unfinished from the rest of the tractor (ignore the seat color at the top of the photo).

As you can see, the original color (possibly faded) had a more orange-ish color than the color I painted it. You will notice this with other models as well, including those listed on the official Snapper Web site.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts