My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the original owner on this GT5000(2004/2005) can't recall.

My Kolher V25 Twin began smoking a bit today. I checked the oil and it was a bit low. I added some more, still smoking.

So based on my searches I either need gaskets or my engine is F'd because of a poor air filter design? Is that right?

Can someone help me diagnose which of the 2 may be my problem.

And also I think there was a thread with the procedure on the gasket replacement job with P/Ns. Can someone hook me up with that link.

Thanks
Rem

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so did full inspection of the GT. Found oil/gunk on muffler that was smoking. I took the hood off. Changed the oil and filter.

Took off the air filter, and dusted. Also hosed and re-oiled the pre-filter.

Then I cleaned the entire engine w/ simple green to remove any grease/oil.
After everything was dry I ran the engine and just a "tiny" bit of visible smoke upon starting.

Then it runs fine. I cut the back grass to see and no more smoking.

If I have one of the "issues" this engine is known for will the smoking be always? Is it normal to have a tiny bit upon starting? What is the threshold where I should be worried?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I still have a little smoke puff at startup.

I'm not sure if this mean I'm not able to use the tractor. I cut this weekend with the pushmower, not so fun.

I have to get fertilizer down and my spreader is a tow behind.

Can I drive this thing? What do I need do be aware of.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
yea you can drive it all you want i think... just check the oil everytime you use it thats all... the onwer before may have never changed the oil in it hence why it smokes a little on start up...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea you can drive it all you want i think... just check the oil everytime you use it thats all... the onwer before may have never changed the oil in it hence why it smokes a little on start up...
I'm the original owner. I have changed the oil and filter 2x per season.

Could my smoking be something else, other than a gasket? Just curious what part of not changing the oil causes smoking?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
A little smoke on startup is nothing to worry about. It could be just from choking the engine. Just keep an eye on the oil level. Even on my new machines, I check the oil every time I use them. Takes but a few seconds, and the peace of mind is worth it to me.

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
Kohler Command 25hp = blown head gasket.
I have come around 4 or 5 of these all in that same age range.
There are different explanations - some more plausible than other, but bottom line is that it is fairly easy to repair yourself for around $ 30 in parts.

I had mine smoke a bit also and then it progressively got worse and worse until I figured out it was the headgasket.
Check the spark plugs and see if one is black which will be the cylinder with the issue. I will put money down on the right hand cylinder when sitting on the tractor. :sorry1:

If you spark plug is dirty I recommend to fix the headgasket soon before you risk running low on oil or make any damage to the gasket seating area.

Let me know how it goes and I may be able to give you a few pointer if it is the gasket.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support guys. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow, the right side is where the lil poof comes from. Not sure if that's coincidence, or my mind playing tricks on me.

I think I will try and tackle this one on my own. Any estimate on the amount of time for the repair. I looked @ the manual to check out the tear down diagrams/procedure, but have never done anything like this before.

I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own home improvements, electrical, plumbing, structure, finishes, and also do most of my car maint/repairs.

I've worked on small mower engines, but that is the extent of my small engine repair experience.

·
582 Posts
BTW on the comment on the poor air filter design. This only applies to the Briggs engines on the GT5000, not the Kohler.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but had never worked on engines when I did the first Kohler head gasket. It probably took me about 3 hours total as I was reading the instructions twice and trying to figure out how to do it.

The biggest challenge is really to get the exhaust manifold off as there is really no room there for a wrench. A trick I found (on the next 3 head gaskets) is to just loosen them and then remove them completely after you take the head off. That way you can swing the head out so you have room to get to the bolts.

You really just need basic tools for this in addition to a torque wrench. You will also need a plastic scraper and something to clean the head of the piston and the valves with as they will be all black and sooty if it is the head gasket.
I used Carb cleaner as I had it on hand and it worked reasonably well.
Buy the head gasket set as it comes with new intake and exhaust gaskets as well as new head bolts. You do not want to re-use the old head bolts.

Let us know what the plugs look like and we will take it from there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Right Plug
Left Plug

Engine OHV Cover.

So based on these pics I think this means I have 2 bad gaskets?

Question on the disassembly as I plan for this repair. In the last pic I'm showing the OHV cover with 4 screws, under that are springs. Is this where I'm starting.

Also any tips on where to get this kit online for cheap? Or a P/N?

Is this the right part? I have a CV730S engine build Date 11/30/2004
http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opee...oduct_info&cPath=568_575_597&products_id=7222

Attachments

·
582 Posts
Right Plug
Left Plug

Engine OHV Cover.

So based on these pics I think this means I have 2 bad gaskets?

Question on the disassembly as I plan for this repair. In the last pic I'm showing the OHV cover with 4 screws, under that are springs. Is this where I'm starting.

Also any tips on where to get this kit online for cheap? Or a P/N?

Is this the right part? I have a CV730S engine build Date 11/30/2004
http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opee...oduct_info&cPath=568_575_597&products_id=7222
Second picture is out of focus so I can't really see what the plug looks like. It is normal that they plugs look somewhat sooty when they are old.
What you have to look for is a more wet plug or oily if you see it.

It is a bit unusual for both head gaskets to be bad at the same time, but it is possible.

Anyway to replace it it is best to download the Kohler repair manual. Don't follow everything in it as it is describing a complete teardown of the engine. You only want to find the section on the headgaskets and follow that.

What you see behind the valve cover are the rocker arms and pushrods. That is where you begin and where you can get to the headbolts.
You will have to remove the plastic shroud and the sheetmetal around the cylinder first. Remove the rocker arm bolts that hold rocker arms and remove them together with the push rods. Make sure to mark which one goes where as they have to go back in the same spot. Then detach the air intake manifold and loosen the exhaust bolts. Take out the headbolts and swing our the head of the cylinder (you will have to lift the intake manifold over the studs - you may loosen the manifold bolts on the other side to make it swivel a little).
Remove the exhaust bolts completely and detach the exhaust. You can now take the head off. You need to clean the old gasket off as well as the piston and head areas. Use a plastic scraper and some cleaner.
Install the new gaskets and assemble everything in opposite order.
It is important to use the correct torque sequence and settings when installing the headbolts and rocker arm bolts.

This is just a summary based on my memory - consult the repair manual.
I believe for just the headgasket kit with intake and exhaust gasket you will need gasket kit 2484103. This is a smaller kit than the complete rebuild gasket kit listed in the other post and is a bit cheaper.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the exact same engine and the exact same issues, but further along I believe. My right hand spark plug will become completely fouled after about 4 or 5 hours of use and I have to add oil just about every time I use it. I will probably do the discussed repair this winter when there is not grass to cut.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So yes the plug in pic #1 from the right side was oily. Plug # 2 was just sooty.

I have ordered just the gasket kit x2 just in case. I'm starting with just the right and seeing how that goes.

·
582 Posts
Good luck
So what do I win for guessing that it was the right side ?:trink39:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll give you my thanks, but in all fairness it was mentioned before that the right usually is the one to fail.

We'll see how the replacement goes. In the mean time I'm getting my snowthrower in shape just in case the GT is outta commision for a while.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I did the repair yesterday. I ended up only doing the right side.

It took about 2.5hrs and that included the trip to autozone to borrow the torque wrench and pickup some carb cleaner and motor oil.

She is all back together now. I rechecked the oil level today and fired her up.
Both Cylinders are firing and no more puff of smoke. I did probably 10 starts and never smoked.

I am concerned about one thing. There was a bit of smoke and smell coming from the muffler/exaust manifold near the front of the engine. This looked more like when it got hot it was burning off some residue that could have gotten on there during the repair.

There are no oil leaks or drips. The smoke/smell appears to be less and less the more I run it, but I'm afraid if I screwed something up I could be causing more harm by running it.

I've put it back in the garage for the night and will run the engine again after it has cooled and see if the problem persists. Any thoughts on what it could be if my theory doesn't pan out? What should I be checking?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Spray some brake cleaner where you think the oil is on the cool exhaust manifold. Be generous and let is evaporate or use air to help it. This should remove any oil residue and if you have any more smoking there then you might have a problem. I bet you did everything just right and you don't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cleaned the muffler with brake cleaner as recommended.

I took her out for the first grass cut since surgery(left the hood off)

No smoke at startup and seems to run ok. I stopped 1/2 way thru to check oil level and was low. I then finished my cut and check oil level before putting back into the garage. Low again.

How am I losing/burning oil? I will put a clean cardboard under the tractor while parked to see if anything drips below, but I checked around engine and all is clean and free of oil.

If I were loosing it past the rings wouldn't I have some kind of smoking?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts