·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to look at a tractor tomorrow. its a briggs 17.5 OHV
model 31c-707

type 015-4e1

code 040-3132d

this tractor is blowing large amounts of white smoke after running for a few minutes. the tractor was diagnosed with a bad head gasket (not by me) so it was changed and after about an hour it started smoking again. i'm thinking it could be a bad float/needle valve as the woman says the oil isnt overfull but does smell like gas. has anyone here ever dealt with this issue on this motor?

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got back from there. its the needle valve not seating & its filling the breather tube with gas when it sits. now i just have to figure out what carb it has as its showing 2 different ones! :banghead3

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,264 Posts
I just got back from there. its the needle valve not seating & its filling the breather tube with gas when it sits. now i just have to figure out what carb it has as its showing 2 different ones! :banghead3

Shouldn't be too hard, look at the fuel inlet. Best insurance is to install a fuel line shut off valve and use it when the engine is not running.

Walt Conner

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn't be too hard, look at the fuel inlet. Best insurance is to install a fuel line shut off valve and use it when the engine is not running.

Walt Conner
Thank you Walt. after taking a look at the diagram again i noticed that the floatbowl on one of them was held on by two screws on the sides so it was easier than i thought. i advised the customer on the shut off but for now they just want to replace the needle valve.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,264 Posts
Yeah, you are right, the NIKKI carb does have two screws holding the bowl.

"i advised the customer on the shut off but for now they just want to replace the needle valve. "

Bad choice, dozens of these engines are reported ruined here just from this cause and I get lots of them in too.

Walt Conner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts