My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all Kaw engines smoke on cold start up? Brand new mower and wife wasn't too impressed when black smoke engulfed the garage and followed her into the house. I thought I read somewhere that Kawasaki said this was normal. But why, why would it? Thanks

·
This tractor rocks
89 Posts
My old Craftsman used to do it. I have not seen this on my 08 x320. I always throttle back to idle for several seconds prior to shutting off. Have you tried this?

·
X500 owner
21 Posts
My X500 will smoke alot as well especially on colder days. You really have to learn how to ease the choke on while cranking. All the way open is a garanteed smoke out. I have learned to minimize it. It's definitley not as easy starting as my old GT235 with the briggs engine. That unit was smooth as silk. Just not as powerfull.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
Black smoke on cold start-up is entirely normal. Very likely that you choked it to start, and the very rich mixture will only partially burn. It takes anywhere from a few seconds to a half-minute to burn all the excess out. These newer 'eco-friendly' engines are tuned to run leaner for reduced emissions. Leaner running means hotter engine at operating temperature, but they need a rich mixture when cold. The black smoke should smell sort of like gas.

Even my diesel gives out a black puff when it first starts, but then rapidly clears.

If the smoke is white or blue, and doesn't clear up as the engine warms, then you got a problem

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 540 would smoke very heavy at start-up sometimes when it was new last summer.. hasn't smoked at all this spring. Maybe it needs to get broke-in first?? if not you have a warranty.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Not if you release the choke when it starts.Mine does not smoke and none that I have been around.Easiest starting engine available I feel.Release the choke as soon as it starts and it should not smoke.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Does anybody wonder why they havent started pushing some sort od fuel injection on these things? Kind of amazing they are still using manual chokes on these brand new lawnmowers. Or at least a reliable automatic choke setup? My John Deere does this slightly when it is cold though not very bad. Now when somebody tries to start it warm and chokes it then we have problems. The Craftsman doesnt really do that at all though I casn tell that that one is set to run leaner than the John Deere is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts