My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
The suprizing thing about smart cars is you sacrifice the room for not that impressive milage. 32 or so. The engine is pretty crude and the transmission is a semi automatic. Not knocking it, just telling it like it is.
That makes me wonder just what kind of mileage it could possibly get mowing. Add the cost of some goofy laser guidance system and you have yourself a real silly idea. Just what you think, a car that cuts grass good..for a car. I don't know how they get the power from the rear to the front apart from maybe electric or hydraulic hook up, but will it even cut out its tracks? And lets see it trim around trees. Tight steering for a car is still not tractor tight.
The only way I see it being practical is for smart cars to lose resale value like Yugos. For $600 yeah, you might think about nabbing a few to mow with.
Just my .02

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Ok, now I read the article. Laser cutting not guidance. Now laser cutting is interesting all by itself! No blade sharpening, but be doubly careful not to get your hands under the deck! I wonder if there is a danger of starting fires on dead grass? The mind boggles.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The suprizing thing about smart cars is you sacrifice the room for not that impressive milage. 32 or so. The engine is pretty crude and the transmission is a semi automatic. Not knocking it, just telling it like it is.
That makes me wonder just what kind of mileage it could possibly get mowing. Add the cost of some goofy laser guidance system and you have yourself a real silly idea. Just what you think, a car that cuts grass good..for a car. I don't know how they get the power from the rear to the front apart from maybe electric or hydraulic hook up, but will it even cut out its tracks? And lets see it trim around trees. Tight steering for a car is still not tractor tight.
The only way I see it being practical is for smart cars to lose resale value like Yugos. For $600 yeah, you might think about nabbing a few to mow with.
Just my .02
Have you actually driven a Smart? Or just read the standard reviews from the press. I got interested when I saw one at work and realized they actually had pretty decent room in them and a nice high seating position. I joined a forum and drove a couple. In the real world most folks seem to average around 40mpg. It's a nice tight driving car with a good seating position. Much easier to get in and out of than my Civic. The trans does take some getting used to but it works. I'm really thinking about one for a back road commuter car for work. They really are more than they appear to be though not for everybody.

·
Premium Member
9,673 Posts
Have you actually driven a Smart? Or just read the standard reviews from the press. I got interested when I saw one at work and realized they actually had pretty decent room in them and a nice high seating position. I joined a forum and drove a couple. In the real world most folks seem to average around 40mpg. It's a nice tight driving car with a good seating position. Much easier to get in and out of than my Civic. The trans does take some getting used to but it works. I'm really thinking about one for a back road commuter car for work. They really are more than they appear to be though not for everybody.
I've heard Fire Departments hate them for the hazzards they add to when in an accident. High voltage and amperage along with the normal Fuel / Oil / battery acid associated with an accident.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Yes, my best friends wife drives a blue convertible. I've driven it, and was impressed at how well it drove. Feels like a regular car. They only get 32 or so..no doubt different drivers get different results, and she does use it for commuting in St. Louis but I was expecting more for the size. Our Mini Cooper Clubman does better, and they were including trip mileage.
I figured they would get like 50mpg.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
In Europe, they have Smart trucks. Itty bitty with a plastic bed. (I would buy one of those..they look cool) Plus they have 4 door smart cars. I really didn't get the point of those.

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
BUBBA, that homemade mower is AWSOME!!! I could see the neighbors now with me out mowing on it/in it? LOL Put a blade on it for winter duty also.

·
Super Moderator
31,986 Posts
In Europe, they have Smart trucks. Itty bitty with a plastic bed. (I would buy one of those..they look cool) Plus they have 4 door smart cars. I really didn't get the point of those.
Ya, same here. I was saying to the guys at work the other day about that. We had one traided in, and in my aera I dont see the point. Its one thing if you lived in a tight city, and the small size can be helpfull. I said it would need a pickup box on it. Nothing too big, like a 4 foot box. THEN it would be handy. Kinda like one of the little "Mall Cop" trucks. Would be handy for running across town to the dump, or harwere store.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Lasers on a Smart Car? Oh, the possibilities are endless. As to the Smartcar, neat concept, but the mileage is surprisingly low.Rather comfy to drive, but then again I only drove one for about 15 minutes. Still,, I'd rather have an electric GEM mini- truck for running around town, thanks.

For those that may have missed a really neat " Smart Car " mower build, check out this dandy from a fellow member overseas. Member Baloo. :not_worth I bet it gets better mileage while mowing than that laser mower lol.

here's the thread : http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=197887

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
To me, it looks like a modified Dyson vacuum cleaner attached to the front of a smart car. I cant see the efficiency opposed to an all electric mower or a large, faster and larger petroleum powered mower that can travel faster and cut a larger swath.

Now if the larger petroleum fired golf course finishing mowers had decks with laser systems in them.............THAT would be something to see!

I glanced at the article, but I wonder how they get lift to cut it? Does it have a vacuum system to lift the grass? If so, they could put a bagger on it for John/Jane homeowner who has acorns/crabapples that have larger maintained areas but the lasers cant take care of them.

I never thought I would see the day where your car would have lawn maintenance attachments! It would put an end to the question "What do YOU use to cut your yard with?". The only options would be your car or a friends car.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes, my best friends wife drives a blue convertible. I've driven it, and was impressed at how well it drove. Feels like a regular car. They only get 32 or so..no doubt different drivers get different results, and she does use it for commuting in St. Louis but I was expecting more for the size. Our Mini Cooper Clubman does better, and they were including trip mileage.
I figured they would get like 50mpg.
Yeah that's cool. Your post just kinda read like a standard review from the it's gotta be a beemer or I don't want it press. Too many 'experts" out there that haven't even seen one. Yeah I did expect more myself in the mileage dept. But they are tall and not that aero. I've owned several micro cars over the years and find them fun. They really were designed more for city tight spaces than fuel economy. The attraction for me is ease of entry and egress and the high seating position. My knees and hips are toast and the Civic is killing me in cold weather trying to get out. Most sedans aren't much better these days. Too small doors and have to duck while squating to get in or out. Don't need to drive the truck just to get to work with current fuel prices.

Larrybl, I think you are thinking of the hybrids with the battery packs. In US trim the smart is a tiny 3 cyl gas engine. In Europe they can get a diesel that gets 70-80 mpg. The whole drivetrain is under the back cargo floor. LIke a small FWD assembly that doesn't steer.

Hmm, Just read what I wrote about the 3 cyl. Maybe a Yanmar diesel swap!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Rather still use the "switchblade" that Jesse James built- Even though it's a Ford.

BUT mowing with a smart car is about the only way you'd get me in one- Yes I am a Wasteful American that drives gas Guzzlers- But hey, I recycle and use CFL bulbs and burn wood instead of oil in my home as much as possible and I bought my wife a gas sipping crossover SUV! It's a start :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd just as soon have a 7.3L Diesel 1-ton dually! Exhaust pipe is just about window-level of the Smart Car..... :thThumbsU

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... not that impressive milage. 32 or so. The engine is pretty crude and the transmission is a semi automatic. Not knocking it, just telling it like it is.

Just my .02
Actually I consistently average 42.5 MPG. If we could get the diesel that gets between 60 & 70 MPG then we'd be talking. With the new CAFE standard for 2025 Mercedes just might decide to make that happen.

Regards,

Dan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts