My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...I got the little red snapper...the one that there is a million of around...the tubular frame one with the small rear engine..this one is a 10 hp..I think they made this model with 8 to 11 hp motors.....here is my problem...engine starts easily..runs great...runs perfect when I engage the wheels ...runs strong even in 5th gear...but the second I engage the mower deck...the rpm lowers substantially on the engine...I hear a large slowdown....many mowers do this when you first engage the blade..then the rpm's will slowly build back up...but not this one...the rpms remail low...so at first I thought the spindle might not be free...so I checkled it and it spins very freely...the pullys are fine...belt seems ok....the only other thing I can think of..is the brake strap around the main mower deck pully...but it seems to work ok..unless its rubbing somehow when the mower is running...it has the hi vac blade..could that make a difference?..any ideas would be appreciated..thanks

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Not an expert....but that might be a factor? When I ran a Ninja blade the 12.5 Hp seemed to struggle until the blade whipped up to speed. Not that problem with my new Gator blade though. (It's lighter than a Ninja)

By the way, I'm planning to put on a new high-lift kit before Fall to bag clippings and leaves. Will be interesting to see what effect it might have on the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Observe the throttle lever on the carb. and see if the governor is opening the throttle when you engage the blade. If not, it could be a simple governor adjustment.

·
Registered
246 Posts
after checking the governor, (like rscurtis said), you might also want to check the high speed needle on the carb, it may be slightly too rich, or lean. it may also need a carb cleaning.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I was thinking that, or a performance problem at high power,you are using full throttle when mowing aren't you?The blade brake is on when the blade is not engaged and off when engaged,so if it's spinning free, probably not your problem

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok..if I engage the blade and watch the governor...I should see it move?..right?...it should move the throttle open more...I dont really see it move...bu I did move it some with my finger and it seems to push back a little..i must say I do not understand how the governor works..how does it sense an rpm change?..how does it translate this change into a throttle adjustment...I should know..but I dont get it!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Eric the govener works by cyntrifical force at higher RPM's these wieghts force the throttle back so that it does not over rev and vise versa for when a load is put on it and RPMs are down the wieghts retract forcing the throttle to open up more. It sounds like you do have a govener problem to me, the goveners are these cheap plastic gears that break sometimes its happened to my tecumseh on my snowblower, they are easy to replace and not that expensive.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You might also check the throttle adjustment.the Snapper throttle should have a small notch about the middle of the throw,set the throttle there than with the engine running, loosen the clamp on the throttle and slowly pull the cable out if the engine speeds up,continue until the governor stops it then tighten the clamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts