My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live a few miles outside Baltimore, Maryland. I have a 14hp Kohler engine from a Case 444, that I would to have bored and the crank shaft turned down. Problem is I am having trouble finding someone to do it. There seems to be no one in this area who machines small engines.

I have been given several names of shops, and when I call them they say no but give me another name and he says no and I get some other name and so on and so forth. Anyone hve any suggestions?

Nick

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I visited his site and it is awesome. If I can't find someone closer, I will contact him. Shipping from maryland is in the neighborhood of $130.00 so $260 both ways.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Not near Baltimore but Marietta Ignition in Marietta, Ohio does that kind of work. And there is also a Kohler rebuild shop located just outside of town in Reno, Ohio. People ship engines to a number of places in the mid-west also to get them done. Machine shops that do them are becoming fewer and fewer. Hate to say it but if I need them done, I end up having to do them myself.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like I can buy a used block and crank in good condition a lot cheaper than I can have one machined, when you consider the cost of shipping. I did just that last year for an 18hp twin Briggs. the one I bought was in perfect condition and the engine runs great now. Of course I guess I was lucky. there are several engine builders selling complete rebuilt engines for $700.00, I may resort to that also. We live in a throw-away society, and there is just enough work for these guys to stay in business.
Nick

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
It looks like I can buy a used block and crank in good condition a lot cheaper than I can have one machined, when you consider the cost of shipping. I did just that last year for an 18hp twin Briggs. the one I bought was in perfect condition and the engine runs great now. Of course I guess I was lucky. there are several engine builders selling complete rebuilt engines for $700.00, I may resort to that also. We live in a throw-away society, and there is just enough work for these guys to stay in business.
Nick
Sad but true. It also happens in computers. You can buy a new printer cheaper than the refills at times.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I may have found a solution to the problem. Called the local Harley Davidson shop today, and was told they might be able to help. The guy who does the boring is off till Tuesday, but manager said he would have him call me and he thinks he will be able to do it. Right now I am a happy camper. If that is the case, then most large motor cycle shops can handle these problems. The question is, will they in take this kind of work? I hope so.

Nick

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
the Harley shop doubtful they do their own, they most likely farm them, out for machining; they then charge you as the "middle man";
I just had a B&S 12.5HP alum/CI sleeve engine done; crank cut and bore job, new exh guide, and the valves done; $137.40 a bit "rich" (too much to spend on) for this series of engine. a cast iron Kohler though? Worth it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jackson machine shop, off of Ridge Road near Arundel Mills Mall. They just did a bore and grind for us a month or two back. I'll see if I can find there number.
Thank you so much. I just got their number from their web site. What did they charge you for the work they did? Do you think it was reasonable? Since I really need this done, cost is not a big factor. Just curious.

I also have a 16hp Kohler from my Ford LGT165 I would like to have done. I really can't see completely tearing down a tractor for a restore, without rebuilding the engine. I was about ready to buy a complete rebuilt engine if I could not get this work done locally. :thanku:

Nick

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the Harley shop doubtful they do their own, they most likely farm them, out for machining; they then charge you as the "middle man";
I just had a B&S 12.5HP alum/CI sleeve engine done; crank cut and bore job, new exh guide, and the valves done; $137.40 a bit "rich" (too much to spend on) for this series of engine. a cast iron Kohler though? Worth it.
the Harley shop here said the do their own in shop engine work. Since they never called me back, I will forget them.

I would pay that price with no problem. Having to pack it up and pay shipping both ways would cost a fortune, although I was willing to do it if I had to.

Nick

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jackson machine shop, off of Ridge Road near Arundel Mills Mall. They just did a bore and grind for us a month or two back. I'll see if I can find there number.
Where do you live in Maryland? I live in the Rosedale area near White Marsh.
Nick

·
Registered
980 Posts
Make sure to junk those balance gears during your rebuild... :)

Also my machineshop dosent do small engines... until They saw the size of the kohler piston... They fit no problem on the machine.

Same as the crank, fits perfect on there machine as well to turn the journal.

and if they tell you any different they are full of crap!!!!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What happens if I junk the balance gears? What should I ask them to do if I do that? I just got off the phone with Jackson Machine shop and they very enthusiastically agreed to do the job. Made me very confident in using them. Will take the engine to them post-haste.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Nick

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just junk them nothing else to do...

I balance my crank to 53% for peice of mind. alot of people on MTF junk them as well without balancing with no issues what so ever... Kohler did not equip all the K-series with them anyway. So yours might not even have them.

The machine shop will need Your piston rings Rod to to the math ...

You should allways bring in you piston regardless when machining so they can mesure it...

Same if you turn your crank journal... You should bring them you ROD so they can make it fit perfect.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live a few miles outside Baltimore, Maryland. I have a 14hp Kohler engine from a Case 444, that I would to have bored and the crank shaft turned down. Problem is I am having trouble finding someone to do it. There seems to be no one in this area who machines small engines.

I have been given several names of shops, and when I call them they say no but give me another name and he says no and I get some other name and so on and so forth. Anyone hve any suggestions?

Nick
I had a 2.5L "Iron Duke" machine work done at Mancini Machine shop in Catonsville MD.
http://www.manta.com/c/mmjl3x2/mancini-machine-inc I had him do the rods, crank, and the block dipped. I did the assembly. When I measured the crank and plastic gauge the bearing clearances, everything check out during assembly. Engine ran great and quiet. If he does not do small engine machine work, try a marine shop the does outboard motor work, those two strokes do get bored out and if needed, re sleeved.

john boy

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Make sure to junk those balance gears during your rebuild... :)

Also my machineshop dosent do small engines... until They saw the size of the kohler piston... They fit no problem on the machine.

Same as the crank, fits perfect on there machine as well to turn the journal.

and if they tell you any different they are full of crap!!!!
The guy I called told me they do it all and acted like they really wanted to do it. Very friendly and easy to talk to. I will ask him about the balance gear and such.

·
All Fired Up
454 Posts
Thank you so much. I just got their number from their web site. What did they charge you for the work they did? Do you think it was reasonable? Since I really need this done, cost is not a big factor. Just curious.

I also have a 16hp Kohler from my Ford LGT165 I would like to have done. I really can't see completely tearing down a tractor for a restore, without rebuilding the engine. I was about ready to buy a complete rebuilt engine if I could not get this work done locally. :thanku:

Nick
I believe it was $105.00 but that included milling a honda head. I think the bore job was $40.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts