My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface that I've gone without a tach for decades now. Had a multi-function diagnostic tool once that was more trouble than it was worth. The tach function used a plug wire clamp-on sensor. It also had a rat's nest of other sensors that I was forever untangling. On some engines it was trial-and-error to find the correct mode and one day I got fed up with it and tossed it.
Anyway... I went looking for something that would be available locally and am surprised with the lack of choices. I thought for sure CTC would have something. Not finding anything at Menards either. I've not looked at Piston Ring or NAPA yet.
My R322TX has a tach on the display but it doesn't have any numbers so I consider it mostly eye-candy. I'm having problems setting the idle speed on it. It is complicated by having an automatic electronic choke and whatever else the back box does. Sometimes it won't drop below half-way, other times it drops to the second tick. What either of those translate to in RPM is anybody's guess. The tach also gets pinned at 100% before the throttle max's out.
I want real numbers.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
get a cheap hour meter off amazon/ebay, that also shows rpm. They have one wire that you wrap a couple times around the plug wire, and show you the rpm when the engine is running. If you just have the one machine, you can leave it on there, or you can remove it after you use it.

I used to use a laser tach gauge, but find it a hassle to use, as first you need to put/have a shiny spinning patch to read, and then you have to hold and point it at that patch to get a good reading, so you have to switch between reading and adjusting. With the hour meter, it reads all the time, so you can adjust and look at the hour meter at the same time or very quickly.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at a laser tach at Princess Auto. One downside is you need a rotating part to point it at and some of my OPE has no rotating part exposed.

One of the reviews mentioned the awkwardness of holding it just so. Purportedly, hand movements affect the reading. The reviewer rigged up a clamp to hold it.

Princess also sells one that has a contact mode as well but it did not get any reviews. Looking at the three different contact tips makes me wonder if it is trial-and-error with mostly error.

There is a more expensive model that has only one written review. It has four contact tips.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was reading the shop manual for a similar AWD Swedish rider that describes the procedure for syncronizing the two hydros and a laser tach is required to measure wheel RPM. Now I just need to decide what laser tach to get.

·
3,270 Posts
I have this one
and I have checked the reading with the type with the wire that wraps around the spark plug wire and the readings are the same...but you do need something that spins to read

1 - 5 of 5 Posts