My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a project that's been talked about for several years. We wanted to add a small bump out for our second freezer and refrigerator that are located in the shop. They have always been in the way and this will get them their own out of the way space. Started the dig out in prep for a concrete floor today. It still needs to be dug more and back filled with sand/gravel. I'm not sure on dimensions yet, but in the 5-6 feet wide and 2-2.5 feet deep.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Floor Shade
Brown Wood Road surface Brickwork Wall
Plant Wood Road surface Grass Line
Property Leaf Wood Shade Fixture
Fixture Wood Building Floor Gas

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the lower treated boards off to expose the concrete. Now I can get a good idea on dimensions and decide on the height to cut the siding. The contractor that poured the concrete back in the 70's sure left a thin edge. When I pour anything I like to leave the edges thicker for added strength.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Grass Gas
Wood Floor Fixture Tints and shades Natural material
Wood Floor Gas Tints and shades Flooring
Wood Sunlight Stairs Grass Shade
Wood Grass Tints and shades Building material Composite material

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to get some work done on this project now that we are done with the flood. I dug down, probably deeper than I needed to, and back filled with some crushed gravel that we had in a small pile. I think that gravel put on some weight because the wheel barrow was mighty heavy. I think cutting the sheet metal and setting the forms will be next.

Wood Plant Grass Tints and shades Groundcover
Plant Wood Slope Grass Tree
Wheelbarrow Wood Garden tool Grass Cart
Wood Grass Trunk Tints and shades Chair
Plant Road surface Land lot Wood Asphalt
Green Plant Land lot Wood Grass

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent a little time moving some things on some shelves that are currently attached to this wall in preparation for removal. Cut another piece of sheet metal in order to slide it up when I set the concrete forms. Looked thru the pile of culled boards by the sawmill and found some suitable for the form boards. It's not supposed to rain tomorrow so I should be able to get some more done.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the outer form boards set in place but need to level and stake them down. Once that's done, I will make the inner forms. I plan on making this an L-shaped footing and then pour the floor inside.

Wood Hardwood Composite material Flooring Wood stain
Wood Natural material Grass Composite material Hardwood

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I borrowed a laser level that my brother has on his work truck and shot a reference level on the treated posts for setting the forms. Temps were in the mid to upper 30's so I didn't spend much time on this today.

Wood Composite material Gas Hardwood Door

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a sleet squall came thru, I was able to get out and work on the forms. Got the inner form built and set in place. Time to start setting the stakes.

Wood Rectangle Floor Gas Tints and shades
Wood Rectangle Plant Grass Road surface
Stairs Wood Road surface Tints and shades Hardwood

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finished setting up the forms for the footing. With freezing temps overnight and rain I am not sure when I will pour the concrete. Once this is done, I can get the floor poured inside it.

Wood Floor Road surface Composite material Gas
Blue Wood Road surface Asphalt Flooring
Wood Stairs Gas Composite material Metal

Reactions: FTWingRiders

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope you can get it finished before you get snowed in :rolleyes:
Our snow usually doesn't stick around long, and we usually get some decent weather with temps in the 50's during the winter months. all I need is a day or two.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to the farm and put the cement mixer on a trailer and transported it out near the shop. I get it placed when it's time to pour.

Plant Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Grass
Plant Wood Grass Tree Motor vehicle
Plant Plant community Automotive tire Tree Wood

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally poured the footing today. My brother came by and helped run the mixer and I ran the buckets to pour in the forms. It was just too tight to dump directly into the forms with the mixer. The temps are supposed to get below freezing so I covered it with some left-over pole building insulation and a tarp.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Green
Wood Gas Tints and shades Rectangle Road surface
Road surface Wood Floor Asphalt Rectangle
Wood Flooring Road surface Floor Hardwood
Wood Wood stain Flooring Floor Grass

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulled the forms off today. I added some more gravel and got it leveled and packed. With the predicted really cold weather coming in I think I will wait for better conditions for pouring the floor.

Green Wood Plant Flooring Grass
Outdoor bench Wood Shade Outdoor furniture Road surface
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Flooring Wood stain
Rectangle Wood Road surface Floor Flooring
Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle Road surface

Reactions: APinNY

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm watching the weather reports and I may get a chance to pour the floor this coming weekend. It's still too far out to know for sure. Since I started this project, we have had flooding rains, extreme cold (for us), and a couple good snowfalls. Most of the snow is melted now and temps will be well above freezing for the next week or more.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,053 Posts
Your temps swing enough that you may get a couple days to do it. If not, you can just put a piece of plywood over it and finish it up when it warms up.

Reactions: cjet69

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another option would be to frame the addition up, get a roof on it, and then pour the concrete. That way I could keep it dry and heat it if it gets cold. I need to check my wood supply and see if I need to fire up the sawmill for the framing material.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The weather is still holding so I will try to pour tomorrow. Got supplies today and the final hole for some rebar on the mating edge.

Wood Orange Flooring Floor Tool
Brown Wood Grass Wall Landscape
Wood Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Automotive exterior
Plant Rectangle Wood Grass Flooring
Wood Rectangle Font Gunny sack Hardwood

·
Super Moderator
40,099 Posts
It will be nice to have that outside and not taking up space inside! I'll bet you're glad to have a mixer for doing that too.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, it will be nice to have the both the upright freezer and refrigerator next to each other and not in the way. The freezer is right where we want to make a pass thru doorway to the back addition of the shop. Right now, when we need to get to the back addition/woodshop area we have to go in the people door, walk about 50 ft north to the far side, turn east for another 30 ft, and then come back 50 ft to the south side where the roll up door is. All that and the distance from the people door to the roll up door is about 7-8 feet to the east on the same wall. The pic shows how far away the doors are.

Property Leaf Wood Shade Fixture

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
36 hours above freezing and your good to go. Solar blankets are good if you have access to them. Will help warm the ground up and aid in curing. Last think you want is the concrete to freeze in the first 48 hours.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts