My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Long time no post. The trans in my 09 SLTX makes a pretty good whiney noise. So I thought I’d change the fluid. I got a fluid extractor since there’s no drain plug fully expecting to get 3 quarts pulled out. I got maybe 3/4 of a quart.

Alright, it was really low. So I went to fill it up and it only took 1/2 a quart. What’s the deal? I tried purging it, the level never went down. Are there little ports in there going from the gear side to the front side where the pump is? Just a thought, could i pull out what I have in there now and fill it with diesel? Run it for a few minutes then pull that out? Not sure if it’ll damage my pump or not. But who knows it might already be done-zo.

·
22,678 Posts
Some hydros have a baffle in the reservoir effectively making two reservoirs. You drained one plus the fluid that was above that baffle from the second.

The hydro needs to be removed and turned upside down to drain all of the fluid.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I think TUDOR's advice is the way to go. But if I was going to add any fluid to try and flush things out, I would only use the suggested hydro fluid, personally. Oil that gets into little areas, and is not drained out, will dilute/contaminate what's in there.

If you're using the proper oil, then this is still helping you. But if you're using something else, then you're changing the properties of the oil mix.

Transmissions are expensive, proper oil is comparatively cheap. If you want to gradually flush it (drain & refill, then run it then drain & refill, etc), I'd keep using the proper oil.

Or, as he said, remove and flip the tranny, to get most of it in one shot.

·
Father Deerest
2,794 Posts
I just got done rebuilding a K66 which has a filter separating the hydro side from the final gear side, if you can open up the hydro side or gear side which ever you are filling you'll get more fluid out. Since you only changed the one side, the fluid could be contaminated and with the way the fluid looks like now I would remove the trans from the machine and clean out the soot, magnet, and filter if you can without too much trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts