My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to this forum, need a little help please. I have a 2006 Cub Cadet SLT1554. When you pull the PTO switch to engage, it may come on it may not. If it does come on it may run for 5 sec. or 30 secs at idle sitting still. Belt is tight, dont know if maybe dust or trash is in switch(im in a dusy area). Have 151 hours on the tractor. any help would be nice. Gonna call my local dealer ,echanic tomorrow see if he can point me in the right direction.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,445 Posts
There's a few interlocks on the PTO on that machine.. Seat switch could be the trouble.. Also there is a relay under the dash and then there's the switch itself and lastly the PTO clutch.. Only way to test is with a test lite and test the circuit starting with the switch and chase the power till it gets to the clutch.. **Or you could spend $$ buying various parts!:banghead3

:goodl:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is your battery dead? Do you have to jump it to start it? Some electric PTO's wont work if the battery is dead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no the battery is fine, just replaced it about 3 months ago. I think my switch may just be dirty, Im gonna fire up my compressor when I get home this evening and give everything a good blowing out. it is intermintant, I know it isnt the seat switch I ruled that out the first 5 minutes I worked on it. I live in a real dusty enviroment so that is more than likely my cause.....I hope

·
10K and Climbin!
12,445 Posts
can anybody give me a exploded view of the electric PTO? Hadnt really looked at it, called a shop and he said the contacts may be dirty.
The PTO is just a floating pulley that has an electro magnet coil inside it. Once the magnet is energized the pulley is pulled into the engine driven pulley and power is transferred to the belt/deck. With the key off/removed, see if you can slide the pulley with the belt to assure it isn't stuck. (not likely)

Take a wire brush/ contact cleaner to the connections under the dash on the relay/switches and that may get ya going..

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can get a can of electical contact cleaner and wash out the switch and the pto. I would put a test light in the connector that goes from the PTO to the wiring harness. if it goes out, you know its not the PTO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stopped at the local autozone and got a can of contact cleaner and blew everything out and then sprayed all my switched and wires and such. Also found a large build up of hard packed grass on the discharge side on the top of the mower deck, you know underneath the PITA guard, cleaned it all out and cut about an acre and no problems, makes me wonder if it may have been a combo of the switch and the packed grass putting a drag on the pto?
Thanks for all your comments, this is a real nice forum!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My GT 1554 was doing the same thing. If you put it into reverse mow mode will it stay engaged?

If it does, your problem lies in the wiring from the 'reverse kill' switch.

My reverse switch wire was worn bare from rubbing against either the frame or the brake assembly. I replaced the worn wire and zip tied it up out of the way.

NOTE: Don't do this with the machine running!!! (IANAL, but need to cover my butt...)

Get underneath the right side of the machine and use your hands to rock the hydro foot pedal. Look toward the right rear tire while rocking the pedal. As you rock to reverse you'll see a switch being activated. Follow both wires to ensure they are not grounding somewhere, and are not being hit.

Seems MTD/CC didn't do their wire routing properly.

Hope this helps,

-travis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Y2KVFR,

I was having this exact problem. PTO would quit on me while I was cutting. I replaced the PTO switch but that did nothing. It drove me crazy all summer long, having to restart the PTO 25-30 times each time I cut. I knew it had to be a loose connection somewhere. Then I read your post and located the reverse safety switch. Sure enough, one of the wires was worn off and the bare wires were touching the frame. I figured it was my last cut of the year, so instead of replacing the wire I just cut it short enough not to rub on anything. PTO worked like a champ after that! I plan on replacing or fixing the wire next spring when I bring my toy out of hibernation.

Thanks again! You saved me alot of frustration and probably alot of dough.

:thThumbsU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts