My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Started to organize the parts that are completed on my 8401 semi-restore and took the pics below. It is coming along, but seems like it is taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I am going to take RCB19's advice and put a clear coat on the deck. That will take a few days, since I just put the last coat of green on today and I want to make sure the last of the green is set before I sand and put on the clear.

Still looking for a roller cover, one of the 3" wide ones. Partstree, mdmower and others tell me it's not available. If anyone has one in good shape and is willing to part with it, please let me know. If I can't find one, I may just lengthen the hole in a standard one and see how that works. Thanks.

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lookin good! Nice orgainized shop to.
Thanks Lawnboy77. I finally got some of the stuff out of the shop so I could move around in it. "This old house" I am in now since I retired has also been a project. It's a neat little early American Bungalow. Ha!!! The original chicken coop is now my storage area.

Thanks again.

Regards,

John

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
Looking like it'll be a lawn boy when it's all done! A showroom new one that is!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking like it'll be a lawn boy when it's all done! A showroom new one that is!!
PA318Guy,

Thanks. Hope to get it done before it gets too cold here in Topeka, Kansas. One step at a time. Thanks again.

Regards,

·
5,862 Posts
Hello Guys,

Started to organize the parts that are completed on my 8401 semi-restore and took the pics below. It is coming along, but seems like it is taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I am going to take RCB19's advice and put a clear coat on the deck. That will take a few days, since I just put the last coat of green on today and I want to make sure the last of the green is set before I sand and put on the clear.

Still looking for a roller cover, one of the 3" wide ones. Partstree, mdmower and others tell me it's not available. If anyone has one in good shape and is willing to part with it, please let me know. If I can't find one, I may just lengthen the hole in a standard one and see how that works. Thanks.

Cheers,
Hi Greenmower! Man, that is really coming along nicely. The biggest problem I have is waiting for stuff to dry before reassembling. I get all the parts painted and then can't wait to get it back together. That's probably why I get thumbprints on the diecast cars I repaint!!! I also concure that you have one of the cleanest work areas we've seen. I'm that way myself and usually clean up each day and start fresh the next. Just seems to be the way I've always done things and it works for me. Anyway, can wait to see pictures after you get it all together. Keep up the great work. Bill

·
Registered
437 Posts
You are doing things the right way John and from my experiences that always takes more time. I have always liked the look of those orange tank commercials. The clear coat leaves an amazing finish when done. I always waited a couple weeks before I applied the clear. Never color sanded mine before though. Let me know how that comes out. Your deal is going to turn out really nice..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Greenmower! Man, that is really coming along nicely. The biggest problem I have is waiting for stuff to dry before reassembling. I get all the parts painted and then can't wait to get it back together. That's probably why I get thumbprints on the diecast cars I repaint!!! I also concure that you have one of the cleanest work areas we've seen. I'm that way myself and usually clean up each day and start fresh the next. Just seems to be the way I've always done things and it works for me. Anyway, can wait to see pictures after you get it all together. Keep up the great work. Bill
Hi Bill,

Thanks. The shop is not as clean as it might appear, though I am working on it. I have two motorcycles that I've kept in there and finally just moved them outside for a while. Probably move them back in in a month or so, so I can keep the batteries charged over the winter. It is nice to have some room to work in for a while. Got too many toys.

Picked up the Lawnboy "habit" last year. Something just rings true about these American two cycle classics. I sort of feel like the guy who drives his antique car on Sunday, when I mow the grass with my Lawnboy...and it does such a nice job, too.

Thanks again.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are doing things the right way John and from my experiences that always takes more time. I have always liked the look of those orange tank commercials. The clear coat leaves an amazing finish when done. I always waited a couple weeks before I applied the clear. Never color sanded mine before though. Let me know how that comes out. Your deal is going to turn out really nice..
RCB19,

Hearing your comments, I think I might wait a bit longer for the green to set up before I try the clear. It has three coats on it now over about a week or so. I get impatient. I was hoping I would be able to mow with this mower before next year, but may have to put that idea on the back burner.

On other paint work I have done, I have wet sanded with like 400 or 600 and as long as I don't sand through the color, it has turned out okay and seems to have a smoother finish, i.e., model airplanes and motorcycle gas tanks. I will post pics when I get the clear on and let you know how it turns out. Thanks very much for your comments and advice.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well,

Today, I got part of the self propelled mechanism cleaned up and back together on my 8401. New parts include rollers/pins and bearings. The deck is done and put new decals on. Also new nylon inserts for the discharge cover and transimission cover. Also was able to salvage the original ID plate. I am getting new bolts for the handle/deck mounts. Once I get the mechanism bolted down, will be able to put the wheels on and start thinking about installing the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's looking great John!!
Thanks Curtis,

I took pictures as I took it apart and I have a 8270 that you see in the corner of the picture with the same...almost...drive mechanism. Good thing, cause I had to refer to the pictures to get it back together. The 8270 is a 1978 and the drive mechanism is just slightly different, different springs. Had me looking all over for a spring I didn't have. Looked at the Partstree diagram to figure it out. Hope to have it together in a couple of weeks, if the weather holds up. Don't like to work in the cold...........

Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks great your making me want to restore my 8401. Unfortunately I cut the back of my thumb on the recoil spring trying to remove the assembly from the engine and I believe I cut my tendon because after I removed the bandage I noticed my the tip of my thumb won't move :banghead3. Did you have new decals made for the shroud mine look good but yours look great? Also how did you remove the rollers on another Lawn Boy I have I tried to drive the pins out but could not get them to budge?

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
That thing is looking great!

I'll have to look in my stash, but I seem to recall having a couple different sized roller covers... I may be wrong, it's been a while, lol. I'll trade ya the cover for the finished mower! haha

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great your making me want to restore my 8401. Unfortunately I cut the back of my thumb on the recoil spring trying to remove the assembly from the engine and I believe I cut my tendon because after I removed the bandage I noticed my the tip of my thumb won't move :banghead3. Did you have new decals made for the shroud mine look good but yours look great? Also how did you remove the rollers on another Lawn Boy I have I tried to drive the pins out but could not get them to budge?
Lawnboy82,

Hope your thumb is not too bad. A few years back, I thought I had tore a tenden, too. When I would point with that finger, it would bend up at an odd angle. Luckily, time seemed to heal it. Hope yours is not serious.

Yes, I had new decals made. They are not an exact match on the colors, but fairly close. The set up fee is what kills you. I paid something like $60.00 bucks, but they did give me an extra set. I cut a small piece off the one that says "Commercial" that goes on the front of the deck to test to see if I could put clear over it.....the answer is NO!!! The larger "Lawn-Boy" decal is straight and flat. I had to Stretch it on to the curved surface of the shroud. Worked out fine, but requires a little patience. If you want them, I could be talked out of the set for a nominal amount. Also would trade for a stock 8401 roller cover in really good shape. They are about three inches long. PM me if you are interested.

I was able to knock the roller pins out with a punch that is just a wee bit smaller than the pin. They are rolled pins (hollow not solid) and spread, if you use a punch that is too small. That just wedges the pins in there tighter. I learned this trying to use a nail set punch.

Again, hope your thumb is nothing serious.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That thing is looking great!

I'll have to look in my stash, but I seem to recall having a couple different sized roller covers... I may be wrong, it's been a while, lol. I'll trade ya the cover for the finished mower! haha
LawnboyKS,

Can't tell if you are serious or not. I would be interested, if you have one in really good shape. I checked it out and can use the shorter ones, if I trim just a little off the edge. but would prefer an original one. Let me know. Thanks.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Great job!! you guys that do this work, just amaze me. So professional. Thanks for the pics!

looking forward to the finished product!!!

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Ok, one is chewed up on the end but the other is pretty clean. Does have a little fading but I'm sure that could be cleaned up with some 'conditioner' to make it look like new.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts