My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something drawing the battery when cranking. Battery will drop from 13v to 9.8 when turning the key. I have replaced the starter with a new one. New battery and battery connections have been replaced. Use to be able to jump it to get it to start but now that is not even working. Any ideas on where else I could look. Grounds appear to be fine and clean.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,970 Posts
Pull the starter and take it to a motor shop for inspection. The brushes and commutator may need some work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the starter and take it to a motor shop for inspection. The brushes and commutator may need some work.
Totally thought this was the problem. These are the wires coming out of the little 5 fuse box that connects to the positive terminal of the battery. Replaced all the fuses in that box too. Unfortunately it made little change to cranking. Also checked and cleaned all the grounds today with little return for my efforts. Did get it to run finally but it's really hard to start and takes a lot of cranks. Volts still dropping from 12.8 to 9.8v when cranking

·
Premium Member
6,357 Posts
Is that 9.8V at the starter or the battery?

If those wires in your last post are representative of the wiring harness of the tractor, you probably should just replace the whole harness...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that 9.8V at the starter or the battery?

If those wires in your last post are representative of the wiring harness of the tractor, you probably should just replace the whole harness...
That is at the battery. 12.8v before cranking and drops to 9.8v roughly while cranking. I looked over the rest of the harness and the wires were sound. These wires were crimped in the lid that covers the battery.

·
Premium Member
6,357 Posts
Depending on exactly where/how you probed at the battery, things I would consider:
-battery has failed and/or is undersize for the tractor (as in, can't put out the CA that the tractor needs). Even if the battery is new, it could be bad...
-connectors at the battery don't have a clean, tight connection to the battery itself
-connectors at the battery don't have a good connection to the wires themselves

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depending on exactly where/how you probed at the battery, things I would consider:
-battery has failed and/or is undersize for the tractor (as in, can't put out the CA that the tractor needs). Even if the battery is new, it could be bad...
-connectors at the battery don't have a clean, tight connection to the battery itself
-connectors at the battery don't have a good connection to the wires themselves
What is correct battery that belongs in this? Also this cluster of wires was connected to the negative terminal on the starter but was causing the starter to get way too hot. I disconnected them and the starter doesn't get nearly as hot and now the battery only drops to 10.6v when cranking and not 9.8v. any ideas where they should be connected to?
Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Destoyer72,
What year is this tractor and can you supply a Model number for it? Also a picture of the tractor would help so a proper wiring schematic could be found and maybe specifications for the correct battery size required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Destoyer72,
What year is this tractor and can you supply a Model number for it? Also a picture of the tractor would help so a proper wiring schematic could be found and maybe specifications for the correct battery size required.
2000 is the year. Model number SLP214TCXE0478116

Thanks for the help

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
silly question possibly, but usually machines of that size run more than one battery in parallel, is there possibly another battery hidden somewhere that is dead and no longer helping crank the machine over?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
silly question possibly, but usually machines of that size run more than one battery in parallel, is there possibly another battery hidden somewhere that is dead and no longer helping crank the machine over?
Not that I have seen and I have been all over this machine. No secondary battery

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
where is the battery currently located? i found a manual for a JCB 214 that shows it under the front of the radiator grille?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
for giggles, is there one under the grille? LOL

·
Registered
108 Posts
Destroyer72,
I am attaching the specifications for the battery to be used in your JCB tractor. I also sent you a private message, let me know if you received it.

Stratocast56
Destroyer72,
Does your tractor have the battery isolator installed on the negative cable to ground? If so do a voltage check on both sides of it when you are cranking the engine with the starter. I have no idea why you have all of those small yellow wires connected to the negative terminal of the battery. Let me know what you find out and I will keep looking at the schematics.

Stratocast56

1 - 18 of 18 Posts