My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a snapper yard cruiser ztr hzs18482bve. When I engage the blades it takes it a couple seconds to spin up to speed. Once at speed and I start mowing the blades will almost stop when I get into heavy grass. Grass that it should be able to mow. The previous owner just purchased a new belt. I looked at the tension spring on the deck and it seems like it might need replaced. When I watch the belt when engaged I see some movement in the belt. Or wobble. Could this be the spring? Clutch? or anything else I could be overlooking.

Thanks for any help!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I can try that but I purchased the mower off a family memeber and they mentioned having this problem before they replaced this belt. He purchased the new belt right before selling this to me. I can try to get one. Hopefully they aren't too pricey lol

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Probably cheaper to try the springs then, but it still could be the wrong size belt unless they bought it from the Snapper Dealer. 1/2" of difference in a after market belt and a OEM Belt can make the difference. :trink40:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
On these models,the deck belt is driven by the engine through an electric clutch,there are no adjustments to the belt tension,the factory belt shows to be 7046997 and is 49.94 inches measurement. The clutch could be slipping too.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
After much looking at the manuals,and much head scratching,The 7046997 belt drives the clutch from the engine,and is actually 44.94 in long,the deck belt is a 7058509,120.722 in,which comes from the clutch to drive the deck,the idler spring(belt tension) seems to be 7058508. It's probably much easier if you have the mower to look at.So now there are 2 belts as well as the clutch,and spring to cause the problem.The spring would be much cheaper

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update.... I went for it all and put a new clutch on :(... Well wasn't that. I don't plan on getting rid of this mower for sometime so I guess it wont hurt having a clutch laying around. Is there anyway this could be battery related? I just replaced the battery. I used an ES14la2. Shows that it has the same specs. Does the clutch automatically shut down if the belt starts to slip?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW I had called a dealer and asked about ordering a belt. It lead to me ordering a clutch but not through them... Found one on the net for 100.. Guess I will try to pick up a belt today.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
If, as noted, the belt is kept tensioned at all times, then I would check how tight the belt is. On a regular 33" Hi Vac, the belt tension is checked by measuring the clearance between the inner sides of the belt, blade engaged, at the idler pulley. The distance between the to sides is supposed to be 1" to 1.5" with the blade set on #5.
Why not check the tension of the belt as it sure sounds as if it is slipping? If there is no adjustment available to take up the slack caused by belt wear, then I'd guess you have to replace the belt when it gets loose. That does not sound right to me... I think there should be an adjustment somewhere.
tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tom I will check on that. This is a new belt but the person I purchased it from might have purchased the wrong one. I am not sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a snapper yard cruiser ztr hzs18482bve. When I engage the blades it takes it a couple seconds to spin up to speed. Once at speed and I start mowing the blades will almost stop when I get into heavy grass. Grass that it should be able to mow. The previous owner just purchased a new belt. I looked at the tension spring on the deck and it seems like it might need replaced. When I watch the belt when engaged I see some movement in the belt. Or wobble. Could this be the spring? Clutch? or anything else I could be overlooking.

Thanks for any help!!!!
Try charging the battery. Had this same problem with my ZRider. My battery was weak, and wouldn't hold a decent charge enough to keep the electric pto engaged fully.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts