My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Kubota B7100 HST new style and just purchased a 36" rear PTO tiller and the PO stated that he never used either one.

Question is do some tractors have in internal slip clutch and if mine does not should I use a slip clutch or just a shear pin in the driveshaft?

Here is a pic of the tiller and I don't see a place where a non-splined shaft has a place for a shear pin.

thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The shear pin should be where the u-joint yoke slides on the gear box shaft of the tiller. Your tractor does not have an internal slip for driving the pto, should have an over run (coast) clutch for shutting off.
I have 60" tiller with shear pin style pto, use it in Cumberland plateau area and have had no problems but found only 1 rock in garden area I made last spring. If you have rocky ground a slip clutch might be more accomodating, but slip clutch does require regular maintenance, setup to make sure it slips when necessary.

·
Tractor Buff
66 Posts
If your picture is accurate it appears that your PTO shaft is incomplete. You're missing the front half of the PTO that attaches to the spline shaft on the rear of your tractor.That is where the shear bolt would be located in alot of cases..

A slip clutch as mentioned needs to be set up properly and if not damage will be done . If you're not comfortable with setting up a slip clutch and then maintaining the slip clutch. Then a shear bolt maybe the better way to go, that way you have to check the tiller before starting it again. The checking I refer to is looking to make sure that there isn't a rock jammed in the tiller tines the slip clutch won't do this if it's jammed the cluth will only keep slipping which could lead to further damage to the tiller or the tractor's PTO system.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey that looks just like mine. Except mine measures an odd number like 44" or something like that. The sheer pin should be where the yoke connects to the gear box. I have broke mine a few times. The one I picked up was a Pittsburgh/Taylor-way made in Italy. Mine has to be 25 years old and other then a tine here and there works great.

I have a 1992 Kubota B7100 HST new style and just purchased a 36" rear PTO tiller and the PO stated that he never used either one.

Question is do some tractors have in internal slip clutch and if mine does not should I use a slip clutch or just a shear pin in the driveshaft?

Here is a pic of the tiller and I don't see a place where a non-splined shaft has a place for a shear pin.

thanks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is incomplete. What you see is all I got with it. No sleeve or anything. I have a driveline shop near me that can make the other parts needed. I just thought that if I didn't need a slip clutch that I could use the pin. I don't have any rocks in my garden so it shouldn't be a problem. I have setup slip clutches on gravely's many times and know there is a procedure to get the right tension. I think my dad has a kickback/overrun clutch that he used on his JD 950 years ago. Would that also work? I know the clutch slips but he overun clutch keeps the power from coming back into the PTO gearbox to do damage.

Curly.... where do you get replacement tines? I have one that is cracked but not broken yet that I need to replace. I need all the info I can get on this tiller.

Let me know.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
First of all, for a tiller: Slip clutch.

Unless you enjoy: shutting off PTO, turning off tractor, humping off seat, pounding out smeared shear pins, replacing with new, jumping back on starting everything up..... every 1-2 minutes

That tiller does not look like "...PO stated that he never used either one. .."

but who cares, if it's in good shape, paint it and you're good to go!...

Get the drive line built up, pick up a clutch, and adjust it / break-it-in, and you're good to go

cheers!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Tractor Supply sells different drive shafts. You probably can get what you need there, ready to go.
The tines look like they have wear- so, it has been used. Make sure you check your gearboxes and grease fittings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts