My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Roper GT18 (craftsman clone) was a beast for plowing and the Craftsman brand sleeve hitch worked just fine for my implements. When the Roper died I got a Craftsman GT3000 to replace it and the "receiver" looks identical, but doesn't fit. The sleeve fits over the receiver perfectly, but doesn't have the "ears" or pins (not sure the name) upon which the outer sleeve hangs. What's more, even if it did have the ears, it seems like the sleeve would sit too close (the arm to raise and lower the implement wants to rub the tire). Anyway, are there a bunch of different sizes, or can my receiver be modified (ears? bracket?) to accept the old sleeve? Or maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right!!

Appreciate any advice (I have a bead on a GT5000 -- going to take the hitch to see if it fits on that tractor, but it's a shame to buy a new tractor if I just have a hitch problem!).

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Roper GT18 (craftsman clone) was a beast for plowing and the Craftsman brand sleeve hitch worked just fine for my implements. When the Roper died I got a Craftsman GT3000 to replace it and the "receiver" looks identical, but doesn't fit. The sleeve fits over the receiver perfectly, but doesn't have the "ears" or pins (not sure the name) upon which the outer sleeve hangs. What's more, even if it did have the ears, it seems like the sleeve would sit too close (the arm to raise and lower the implement wants to rub the tire). Anyway, are there a bunch of different sizes, or can my receiver be modified (ears? bracket?) to accept the old sleeve? Or maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right!!

Appreciate any advice (I have a bead on a GT5000 -- going to take the hitch to see if it fits on that tractor, but it's a shame to buy a new tractor if I just have a hitch problem!).

Thanks.
I think I figured out my answer -- my new tractor is just missing the studs / ears / bolts that the hitch hangs upon. I suppose I could get any old (hefty) bolt as a substitute. I'll report if I can find the OEM ears.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I figured out my answer -- my new tractor is just missing the studs / ears / bolts that the hitch hangs upon. I suppose I could get any old (hefty) bolt as a substitute. I'll report if I can find the OEM ears.
You'll never guess this but the one on the left is called the "L.H. Mounting Bracket." But the one on the right was the "R.H. Mounting Bracket." Can you believe that?! Sigh. The mounting brackets come with the hitch, not the tractor... and I just let the tractor go w/o taking them off! Double sigh! Now, to find replacements. Triple... OK. As you were!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SearsDirect had the pair for about $40 shipped.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed that they have them. Be sure to post pics when you get it all together!

Mike

2,440 Posts
I picked up that sleeve hitch for my tractor thinking it was an easy job installing it. I have a plate on the back that holds the bagger attachment. I had to remove that plate. To install those mounting brackets there are two bolts that have to be installed. My tractor came with the bolts on both sides with the nuts. The problem I have is trying to take the nuts off. I must be weak or something because I couldn't turn them. Maybe a small turn back and forth but they wouldn't come off. So after a few times playing with it and smashing my knuckles I gave up. I notice on the right side the linkage is right on the one bolt I said forget it. I would have to take both rear tires off, loosen the linkage, I put the bagger plate back on and just forget about installing the sleeve hitch. The thing is I would use the bagger more often than using the sleeve hitch, to me its not worth the trouble taking the tractor a part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts