My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Micro Farmer
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen 3 sleeve hitch part numbers available for various Craftsman Garden Tractors and know that the 486.24586 is listed as the correct part for my GT.

However, I can get a 486-24536 for about 1/3 the price of a new one ~$40 and have accessed the Owners Manual for both. All the parts except the sleeve hitch frame are exactly the same part numbers. The picture of the frame looks very similiar but doesn't give any size dimensions.

Does anyone here have any first hand info on if the 24536 frame will fit my Craftsman 247-289840 GT Pro. It looks like if the frame opening is big enough, with minor mods I could make the frame work. Also, for what purpose do you suppose they would make these two different frames and make the statement the the 24536 will ONLY fit the 917.xxxxx series GT?

Thanks for any info, I really enjoy this forum and the expertise you have here.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Where did you find that? Do you have a link, if you found it online? I would try to make it fit since most of those parts tend to be "one size fits all". I just bought a winch for the sleeve hitch I haven't even bought yet...sheesh...! Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I can tell you that my sleeve hitch (for my ayp made '08 DGS6500) slides right on my '89 mtd made lawn tractor (with the built on fast attach mounting studs. My ayp made tractor needed extra mounting plates to replicate those 'studs'
At the time, both ayp and mtd seemed to be sourcing the same sleeve hitch from agrifab, but ayp needed e extra parts.
I say chances are good you can make it work.

·
Micro Farmer
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Where did you find that? Do you have a link, if you found it online? "

Found it online at Sears Outlet, many listings there, the one I'm looking at in in Pell City, AL. I've also found them from time to time on Craig'sList, they usually want in the $50 - 70 range. I think Sears if trying to clear their inventory because the new replacement #24587 is supposed to fit all the Garden Tractors, but the 24537 is listed as will not fit the new MTD Professional GT, so I'm trying to find out if anyone has actually tried to fit the frame part on the new MTD Pro.
Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
758 Posts
Johnny products makes a universal sleeve hitch. They all bolt to the receiving hitch , you just have to drill for 2 upper bolts...so I'm fairly sure a little work would make it fit.
My ..236 sleeve hitch is 13.5" wide inside (my frame is 13" wide) so as long as your frame is at or less than 13.5" I'm sure you could make it fit fairly easily.

A few years ago, an advenerous MTF member took a chance on a MTD sleeve hitch on clearance at lowes, and discovered they were the same (sans the 2 sears mounting plates easily ordered from searspartsdirect.com) and several members saved doing the same.

I would think the difference may be a slight mounting plate difference (ifferent holes to match the mtd frame) and/or a different location of the transmission release lever.. Both easy enough drilling differences for me..I'd rather have the extra money for attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
A few years ago, an advenerous MTF member took a chance on a MTD sleeve hitch on clearance at lowes, and discovered they were the same (sans the 2 sears mounting plates easily ordered from searspartsdirect.com) and several members saved doing the same.
I'm one of those who saved doing the same. And I have a 2008 Craftsman Pro model. The extra bits I had to get from Sears Parts Direct cost almost as much as the sleeve hitch itself ... but still a whole lot less than a new sleeve hitch from Sears.

I've since moved on to an electric model I found on CL

I agree with the other posters. You should have no trouble adapting this hitch.

Regards,

Dan

·
Micro Farmer
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received my new sleeve hitch yesterday. I found a sears store that was selling them for $20 and since it was over a 150 mile drive, I elected to have it shipped which cost me an extra $13. So, considering that all the other listings I found were for <$38 +tax and I would have to drive to get it, I think this is a pretty good deal.

I had done considerable research to try to find out what the difference was between the 24536 and the 24586. Everyone I spoke with at Sears said the 24536 wouldn't fit my new PGT9000. I had found the Owner's Manual for both on the web and looking at the parts list, every part has the same part number except the Sleeve Hitch Frame. I couldn't get anyone to measure the inside dimension so I decided to just roll the dice and figured I could at least recoup my money if it was too small. :praying: Anything else I figured I could modify to work.

So upon receiving the box yesterday, I checked the frame and it fits, :congrats::thanku: just barely, I had to spread it a small amount probably 1/16" and it will work. I will have to figure out what I want to do about the tranny disengage linkage, but am pretty sure I can make it work. Main thing is that I'll cut the $35 part and not the $3k GT. :Stop:

Have to go make some money to pay for this $3k machine so it will be later before I can follow-up on my progress.

I'm attaching the picture of the parts list from both hitch manuals. If anyone needs one, I have the owner's manual for both in pdf file format.

Paul

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Widen your CL searches. A Sears in NC had some for less than $15.00. Also a TSC was closing out some of the MTD hitches, which are the same thing minus two brackets.

·
Micro Farmer
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone is still interested, I finished installing and testing my sleeve hitch and it works great. If you have a Craftsman PGT9000, the 486-25436 sleeve hitch works just fine.

The Sears reps will tell you if won't work and 'out-of-the box' they are correct. There are three things you have to do to make it fit like it was made for it:

(first) spread the frame assy a small amount to fit the tractor rear frame and allow the pins to fit over the slots on the frame assy.

(second) enlarge the cutout for the pto linkage about 1" to the left side. (I don't have the proper metal cutting torch or tools so I used my jigsaw and angle grinder to enlarge the opening.

(third) grind down the four carriage bolt heads that secure the left and right Pivot Brackets (these hold the lift lever arm assy and lift link plate and are hidden behind the frame assembly and are just a bit too fat to allow the frame to slide all the way down over the factory installed pins on the tractor frame.

A little black rustoleum and it doesn't look too bad. The beauty of this is I can remove the sleeve hitch assy and frame from the tractor just as if it were made for my tractor. As stated in a previous post, the only difference I can find between the two models is the frame part, the part I just described modifying.

When I finished and installed the frame over the factory installed 'ear' pins, the rest of the installation was just per the owner manual instructions.

So, the 25436 cost me $20 +shipping; or the 25486 would have cost me $140. I think I'll take the cheaper way out. If anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Looks like it stregthened the frame on your tractor :ROF. Looks nice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts