My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one used a Brinly-Hardy Box Scraper or the agri fab one? I was wondering if they will cut through sod, like an established lawn, i don't expect them to do it in one pass, but can they do it with multiple passes?

john.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Boy I don't know. With the scarifiers down and a lot of weight... maybe. Any chance of using a bottom plow?

·
Registered
864 Posts
john9001
I agree with the others. I am sure it would do it but you are going to need a lot of weight on the tractor for traction.
I have just a rear blade. Its great for grading the drive. But if you really get a blade full it pulls a little bit. And you definitely need the weight on the tractor. I have the tires loaded plus 75 lbs. of steel weights on each side.

This one is a 14 h.p. and it does a nice job.

This one is a 16 h.p. with loaded tires and 90 lbs. of steel weights on each side. It handles it a lot better.
If you get one let us know how it works. :fing32:

·
Banned
465 Posts
Mine has scarifying teeth, just not enough of 'em and not long enough and a provision for adding weight. I add 140lbs and it will dig down, but, it won't rip up sod. It would take a few passes.
As ggsteve suggested, a bottom plow.

Bob

·
Banned
465 Posts
You'll be needing the box scraper after. I'd still get it. I love spending other people's money.

Bob

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you're going to want to cut thru the sod, get a set of diac harrows to use before the box blade. Even then, you'll have a lot of clumps of sod to deal with. At least they'll be loose enough to move & get them broken up.

·
-
1,833 Posts
I have the Brinly (really glad I got it - it's saved me a lot of work) and I've used it to break up hardened clay. Took a number of passes and I added a big stone to the weight holder for down pressure as my tractor is manual lift.

Not sure how it'd do with sod though as with the clay the scarifiers just ran across the top until it broke it up into a fine powder. The occasion buried rock or root didn't stop the tractor. It was a gradual conversion as opposed to just digging right into sod and trying to pull against it.

I have ags but no weight (other than myself) on the tractor at this point. Planning on filling the tires.

I second Pro Trucker, I think you'll want something to break it up first like a disc harrow.

If you have other uses for the BB get it and try, worst that'll happen is that it won't be the right tool for the job...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts