My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which you'd recommend for clay soil. I can get both with coulters. Would one be better than the other?

·
1horse
315 Posts
Just wondering which you'd recommend for clay soil. I can get both with coulters. Would one be better than the other?
There is clay, and then there is CLAY! Then add water, oh, boy! There's is nothing like Experience, which sometimes come from bad experiences! One needs to know when to stay off clay. On my CLAY that means fall plowing with the correct moisture, and preferably no moldboard plowing 'cause the topsoil is very shallow, so chisel plowing is best. Fall plowing here also allows winter frost to "mellow" the plowing.

The link below offers general guidance, but again nothing like experience; check with local farmers specific to your soil. http://www.ntractorclub.com/eds_stuff/ford tractors/Implements/Plows/1949 Ad Brochure - Better Plowing with the Dearborn Moldboard Plow/Page 09 - Slat - Scoth - Chilled Bottoms.jpg

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I had a slat years ago, worked great unless the ground was to wet, i prefer the regular mouldboard as far as a good all around plow.

Ronnie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts