My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the woods with my bobcat the other day and got to thinking what would I do if the engine dies or have some sort of mechanical faliure.....

How in the world would you get it out. The wheels won't turn very good if the engine is not running the pumps. You could not steer it at all if you tried to drag it out.

Any ideas or things you guys have done in a situation like this. I have acrege and not in the boondocks but still if you are down a tight trail in the back forty it would be a bad situation.

Steve

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Most of the older Bobcat machines CAN NOT be moved without the engine running. SOME of them have a hydraulic release on them so that they can be moved. I would check with my local dealer to see which is the case with the machine that you own. My dad used to own a 743 and used it for the construction company. We were on a job site one morning with the starter nose disintegrated which meant that the engine had to come out to get the parts and pieces out of the bellhousing. I had two choices.......either do the work in the field or have a friend pick it up and put on the trailer with his boom truck and take it to the shop and work on it. I opted to have it loaded on the trailer and take it back to the shop so that I had access to all of my mechanic tools and I didnt have to work out in the cold in the muddy conditions.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
That can be an issue. I had several John Deere's when I had my rental business, and they were pretty reliable. However, when disaster struck, you had a second problem, as the spring-applied parking brake was activated, and it was so strong you couldn't over come it. I would get as close as I could with the flatbed, get the machine started on it, and wet the bed down with soapy water. The tires would slide right up the steel bed.

Fortunatley, the machines were designed that the cab could be raised with the loader down, so replacement of most hoses was possible in the field.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea all of this could happen. In my case I was using the machine on my back 40 which is solid woods and a trail that was just about 5' wide. I thought if this thing breaks down I am in a world of trouble. I called my bobcat dealer and he said my 632 if pulled most likely would drain the pump down and the wheels would roll easier as I went along. The other major problem is you can't steer it around curves, so you would have to chain up really close to make it. Surprised someone hasn't made something for situations like this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have had it happen twice with my deere 250 first time i drug it out of the woods with the kubota kx91-3 mini excavator the 2nd time the excavator was 4 hrs away so i piped the chain cover off and removed the drive sprocket from the drive shaft off the drive motor.\

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had skidsteers break badly in some of the most impossible places to get to not just stuck out in the woods but in sub basements 5 floors below ground of skyscrapers or even better on skyscaper roof tops. You usually have a few options, you can fix it where it is, you could disconnect the drive chains and drag it or if you are fortunate enough and can get to it with enough space, pick it up with a rough terrain forklift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts