My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order my JD4720. One of the accessories` I wanted to get is a Skid-Plate. Bro-Tek manufactures Skid-Plates for Kubota. But I cannot find anybody who manufactures Skid-Plates for John Deere.

Please help!

Thank you.
Regards,
FRIZ

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Can i ask... What the heck are ya going to do with that unit that you need skid plates for it? I have a 4520.... man to get junk high enough to damage anything would take some effort, and thats coming from someone thats hard on equipment. If your needing skid plate for it maybe a 440 or 350 dozer is more what ya need... you know.. just a excuse for another piece of equipment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Friz
Bro tek does have skid plates for jd but may not make one for that model.
I would go to their web site and contact them,they are very helpful.
as long as we're on the topic anyone have any experience with a bro tek skid plate on a 2305 with a mmm?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a bro-tex skid plate for my 2305.I dont think it will work with the deck mounted on mower.I use it when the deck is off the tractor. I never tried mounting the deck with skid plate attached. maybe someone else knows>>>>>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can i ask... What the heck are ya going to do with that unit that you need skid plates for it? I have a 4520.... man to get junk high enough to damage anything would take some effort, and thats coming from someone thats hard on equipment. If your needing skid plate for it maybe a 440 or 350 dozer is more what ya need... you know.. just a excuse for another piece of equipment.
Hi Team_Green:

Please take it easy. I am used to get good advice from you. If all goes well I will have my JD4720 in July. And I will be for the first time in my life on a tractor on my land. I am concerned that somebody as inexperienced as me could do something what you old hands consider “stupid”. I just want to shield my investment from harm. Therefore the interest in a Skid-Plate.

I am looking forward for more good advice.
Regards.
FRIZ

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
I am taking it easy. I was just wondering if you noticed something "tender" on the 4720 that i didint notice on my 4520. Some times the old hands get complacent about things. BTW you will LOVE that unit. I just cant get over what the 4520 will do. I reread what i posted. i appoligize for sounding "off the edge" on in my comment..

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Friz,
Team Green is right. I think that you would be throwing you money away. I bought a Bro-tek skid plate for my John Deere 2305 because it is much lower to the ground and I was worried about the tranny filter and tranny fan being damaged. Your model tractor does not have a fan and although I am not aware exactly where your filters on that model are placed, I would bet my life on it that they are high up. I will even go as much to say that you probably don't need it on the Kubota 3030 that you are also buying. BTW, I dont think that Bro-tek makes a skid plate for any tractor but a sub compact.
bird1148 is so right. The skid plate can not be on when the MMM is on.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Bro Tek got their start because of the cost of replacing the transmission fans, on those smaller Kubota tractors, is BIG BUCKS...(if you have time do some internet searches about Kubota and broken transmission fans)...the 4720 should not encounter those problems...;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Blind REf
Thanks for clearing that up. The folks at Bro Tek said that also, but to me it looked like if u removed that small square plate the drive shaft would go through. i guess clearance is the issue. is it a pain in the butt to take on and off?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong,but I believe the square plate (opening) is for access to the hydro filter...Takes me about 10 minutes to take off and or put it on

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I can't remember for sure, but I think Richard had the opening in the square plate for the drive shaft. I think Richard's intent was to make it work with the MMM on just like he did with the Kubota but he must have run into a problem. It may be a simple solution or not. I just have not had the time to check it out. Like bird1148, it really is not that hard to take on and off.
jdjoey, I always thought the best way to test and see would be to put the shaft through the skid plate while it is off and attach it and then attach the skid plate and see if any obstacles are in the way. If I remember correctly, seem like the location where the tube is may be a problem?? If you check this out let me know your findings. When I am through with a few projects and have time (baseball, football kids ect...) I will check it out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Would like to say thanks bird1148 and blind ref.
my reason for asking is to see what was said before i made the purchase, I think for now I'll settle on purchasing the thumb for my backhoe.

·
Gone Green
90 Posts
I have been thinking about rigging up a skid plate of sorts for my tractor. I do a fair amount of work in the woods and have had some branches get stuck in the lines. Heck, I've even had sticks push up into the foot platform. I think something that would protect the hydro lines and the various controls under the deck would be great. Of course, my 4100 is a lot smaller machine than Fritz' future machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts