My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am in the right section for (project), I have inherited a 583 STX ski-doo, mint condition. I am finding it difficult to keep sparkplugs in it, they keep fouling, specially the one on the mag side.
I am using a NGK BR9ES on the clutch side and a BR8ES on the mag side at the moment.

I just fueled with Hi test (97 Octane) fuel and am using TC-W3 Injestion mix as recomended with the instructions, The sled runs like a top. I just finished doing 70 MPH a few minutes ago, but now I am affraid of going somewhere further because I don't know if it is reliable or not.

ANY one of you sled smart guys out there know what else i should be doing???, please help!:thanku:

Jesse

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I hope I am in the right section for (project), I have inherited a 583 STX ski-doo, mint condition. I am finding it difficult to keep sparkplugs in it, they keep fouling, specially the one on the mag side.
I am using a NGK BR9ES on the clutch side and a BR8ES on the mag side at the moment.

I just fueled with Hi test (97 Octane) fuel and am using TC-W3 Injestion mix as recomended with the instructions, The sled runs like a top. I just finished doing 70 MPH a few minutes ago, but now I am affraid of going somewhere further because I don't know if it is reliable or not.

ANY one of you sled smart guys out there know what else i should be doing???, please help!:thanku:

Jesse
Make sure the carbs are clean, and mixture screws set to spec. Check the airbox for obstructions like nests from mice, etc. You should be running the same heat range for plugs in both cylinders. Also make sure the plungers for the choke are fully releasing when you set them to cold start using choke. The brass gets corroded easily often after just 1 or 2 seasons on non use due to the alcohol content in fuel these days. Remove them, clean them with some scotchbrite, and lightly oil them, and replace. I've had issues in the past with these including breaking cables from stuck choke plungers.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ECHOMAN, I never thaught about sticking choke, you may be right I have had a loose return and had to push it in all the way by hand. I'll go clean them now, and take a little spin, it is light snow right now, should make for a nice ride. I'll let you know.,

Jesse

1 - 3 of 3 Posts