My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are 3 brand new cylinder castings for Gravely Ls/Cs. Unmachined. And I'm too sick to go get them. :crybaby: Photos Monday.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope you are feeling better soon! Ed
Thanks! Today is the fourth day of it. Drs appt on Monday. Doc knew it was bad when I called as I normally just fight them off. Fuzzy vision in left eye and much pain there too from the sinus yesterday but only mild pain there today.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks! Today is the fourth day of it. Drs appt on Monday. Doc knew it was bad when I called as I normally just fight them off. Fuzzy vision in left eye and much pain there too from the sinus yesterday but only mild pain there today.
I hope you get better very soon. Charles

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I hope you kick this stuff soon, Don. Those castings are getting pretty lonely there by themselves. I hope they don't decide to find a different home!

So, tell us about these castings. Are they Gravely made or an aftermarket that someone commissioned?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope you kick this stuff soon, Don. Those castings are getting pretty lonely there by themselves. I hope they don't decide to find a different home!

So, tell us about these castings. Are they Gravely made or an aftermarket that someone commissioned?
Genuine.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Well aren't you just one lucky dog considering that there aren't any more of them. Are you still planning to have some cast from an original?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well aren't you just one lucky dog considering that there aren't any more of them. Are you still planning to have some cast from an original?
That is still under discussion. Further details will come out as we iron out costs. The machined one that sits downstairs pickled now has a list value of about $1K per Gravely. I'll keep everyone informed as to what these end up costing. It may end up that noone but a machinist can even afford one in the raw.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked the casting today. One is damaged goods. Poor packing and handling. :(
Photos below of my machined cylinder and the raw casting as recieved. Gold color is the pickling compound on the machined unit.

Attachments

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I have $140 in medicines to help get over a virus. :( Night folks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hope you get to feeling better -- I am just getting over some sinus crud myself. cylinders look great!! Nothing like brand new stuff. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Jeez Don - those cylinder pics just make one want to drool...incessantly!! Hope ur kicking the cold stuff - not the time of year to be knocked down - get better!

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it looks like the cylinder project will die a slow death. The first casting, the damaged one, comes in at $450 machining cost. Second and third ones will cost $300 each. Looks like Gravely is right on what they would have to charge to make a profit. Looks like I can only afford to build one new tractor at those prices.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Don
We may not be able to save all the engines
but we can save the transmissions
I am having new input gears made for
the C10 C8 and Model Ls.
so we can put on any thing that has a 1 inch crank.
I have 10 on the way now .
so we can make a spacer and use a Kohler adapter redrill it to fit the L transmissions
This will run about 250.plus Kohler adapter plate.
for gear,adapter spacer, & pilot bushing
I will put up pictures as soon as I get them. :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Don, if you totally give up on those cylinder castings, I'll take them off your hands. I have access to a bunch of machine tools, and with some fiddling, could probably work out how to do the work to make usable cylinders out of them. Just don't want to see them go to waste...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts