My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased, told it just needed a battery {boy I'm gullible}
after I cleaned up the tractor and bought a battery I find the wires cut and loose from one of the safety switches
on the mower deck. it has 4 to 5 wires. is there a wiring diagram for this switch(preferred) or a way to bypass?

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
430 Posts
That should be a 'Scotts' tractor by John Deere, made by Murray. Simplicity didn't make a S1642 model, Scotts did, actually it has the 'Scotts' name on it, manufactured by Murray for John Deere to sell and service as one of their lower end homeowner models. They were normally sold at Big Box Stores and some John Deere dealerships.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just purchased, told it just needed a battery {boy I'm gullible}
after I cleaned up the tractor and bought a battery I find the wires cut and loose from one of the safety switches
on the mower deck. it has 4 to 5 wires. is there a wiring diagram for this switch(preferred) or a way to bypass?
I bought one at an auction, it was an electrical nightmare. I stripped all the wires of of it and just ran one to the solenoid to crank it, and used a button already on the dash to kill it. Its a good mower now.

·
Super Moderator
10,570 Posts
That should be a 'Scotts' tractor by John Deere, made by Murray. Simplicity didn't make a S1642 model, Scotts did, actually it has the 'Scotts' name on it, manufactured by Murray for John Deere to sell and service as one of their lower end homeowner models. They were normally sold at Big Box Stores and some John Deere dealerships.
They are both orange, some simples do have Koehlers...but that is the end of the similarities 😁

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
380 Posts
Just for clarity, the "Scott's by John Deere" tractors are, in fact, made by John Deere, not Murray or anyone else.

Bradalee, do you have any pictures of the wires in question?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
430 Posts
Wow! you can see more than 1 manufacturers label on the frame,stacked on top of the other.
It almost looks like there are a total of 3 labels stacked on top of each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After more in investigation there are 4 wires to this to this plunger safety switch
purple, purple w/stripe, white,& white w/stripe
When I got this the wires were hanging, twisted together, splices sealed with duct tape
some wires went from one color to another.(a nightmare)
I've repaired the wires properly and reinstalled the connectors in the harness socket.
What is the purpose for 4 wires to this switch?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Some of those switches are also part of the 'Safety Switch' module to cut off the blade operation if it is in reverse or you get off the seat, the switch is used for more than just allowing you to manually turn on the mower deck with only 2 wires. They can be complicated, there are a couple of different switches that were used and some are wired differently than the others, that is why you have to make sure you have the proper switch for the tractor.
It sounds like the previous owner replaced the switch with a different one and rewired it causing a 'Nightmare' electrically.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
380 Posts
This is a total guess, but an educated one. I presume it is the PTO switch. The purple ones are likely for the starter circuit, the white ones are likely for the ignition kill circuit. Or, it might be for the brake switch, one of the two. But if it is mounted to the mower deck, I would say PTO.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What the safety does is it 'Trips' or shuts off the mower, then you have to push the button in and pull it back out to reset it, almost like resetting a circuit breaker in your house fuse box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What the safety does is it 'Trips' or shuts off the mower, then you have to push the button in and pull it back out to reset it, almost like resetting a circuit breaker in your house fuse box.
Is there a way I can bypass the safety switches to narrow down my starting problem?
I have replaced the ignition switch, repaired or replaced all damaged wiring, new battery and still not even a click

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The site does not allow any one to show how to bypass a safety. The way you stated your question is correct. You only want to narrow down the obstacles. So, once you find the problem, the safeties will be hooked back up. I think if that is clear, some one can walk you through the process.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
380 Posts
The first thing to do is acquire the proper schematic for your machine so you know how it is supposed to work and how it's supposed to be wired. The starting circuit can be traced and diagnosed without bypassing safety switches, and will show if one of the safety switches is no good. I could help walk you through it, but need a schematic. A quick internet search found one, and it looks very similar if not the same as my LA135, which means the wire you are wanting to trace starts out purple at the ignition switch, turns purple with a tracer out of the PTO switch over to the brake switch, then turns purple again and goes back to the solenoid. Start checking that circuit with a test light or volt meter while turning the key to the start position. If you have ~ battery voltage at the purple wire on the starter solenoid when the PTO is off, brake is applied, and key switch turned to "Start", then the safety circuit is fine, and you have either a bad solenoid ground, or the solenoid itself is no good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first thing to do is acquire the proper schematic for your machine so you know how it is supposed to work and how it's supposed to be wired. The starting circuit can be traced and diagnosed without bypassing safety switches, and will show if one of the safety switches is no good. I could help walk you through it, but need a schematic. A quick internet search found one, and it looks very similar if not the same as my LA135, which means the wire you are wanting to trace starts out purple at the ignition switch, turns purple with a tracer out of the PTO switch over to the brake switch, then turns purple again and goes back to the solenoid. Start checking that circuit with a test light or volt meter while turning the key to the start position. If you have ~ battery voltage at the purple wire on the starter solenoid when the PTO is off, brake is applied, and key switch turned to "Start", then the safety circuit is fine, and you have either a bad solenoid ground, or the solenoid itself is no good.
Thanx, that's what I will try next,is there only 1 fuse in this system?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The site does not allow any one to show how to bypass a safety. The way you stated your question is correct. You only want to narrow down the obstacles. So, once you find the problem, the safeties will be hooked back up. I think if that is clear, some one can walk you through the process.
yes I do not want to eliminate the safety switches, just want to narrow the problem

1 - 17 of 17 Posts