My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 18 hp Briggs & Stratton vertical shaft in a late model Landlord DLX. The shaft size is 1 inch x 3-5/32 and has a 16 amp alternator.

I don't know that I want to rebuild this engine or buy a new one for this tractor and am looking around for a used engine.

What I"m finding is that there are a TON of tractors out there with the same size shaft, both single and twin cylinders - but, the alternators are 5/3 amp, 9 and 16 amp - the 16 amp being the hardest to locate.

Question is - what is a 5/3 amp alternator and how does it differ from a 9 or 16 amp alternator? When is the 5/3, 9 and 16 amp alternator applicable? This tractor has an electric PTO, don't know how much this load is. The tractor has lights too and maybe when PTO and lights are going, 16 amp is necessary?

Another thing to consider is the exhaust outlet. The present Vanguard exits out the front and down to a muffler below/in front of the frame.

For this tractor (right now) I don't want to spend a pile of $$$'s, just get it going and mowing. I think a 14 hp engine would suffice as a minimum hp.

Any advice on the above? Any ideas for a replacement motor, like from another brand tractor? I've been on the lookout for a Broadmoore with a bad tranny as I believe some of them used a 16 hp twin vanguard engine that might fit my needs.

Thanks!
Bill

·
Tractor Nerd
3,239 Posts
Alternator isn't all that important. Not unless you have a lot of electronics. Like lights, radio. The bigger alternator is nice for things like, using a electric lift a lot. But as for using the tractor and running the head lights and starting the tractor. Doesn't take a huge alternator for that.

Some tractors like a craftsman, a newer one. You can open the hood and see if the exhaust will be usable with yours. Many tractors exit out the front under the hood. Some single cylinder, some twin. Many engines would pop right in there with not much more than figuring out the starter connections.

Not sure what 5/3 quite is, but sounds like 5/3 amp alternator. Is 5/3rds of a amp. Which would equate to 1.7 amps.

I don't think it means a dual stage charge of 3 amps or 5 amps.

I would try to get at least a 9 amp. That isn't far off from 16.

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
5/3 is a bank. They seem to like to put fees on everything. I remember waiting in line one Saturday and a guy was there asking about an "excessive withdrawl fee". I suppose putting fees on everything is a way for banks to make money in an era of people defaulting on their debt.

But, yea, I'd really go for a 9amp. If you're just running headlights once in a while, it'll be fine for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts