My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been on the search for a new lawn tractor and have looked at Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, John Deere, and now Simplicity. I am not very familiar with Simplicity and have been pretty impressed with the machine after digging into it and going to the dealer today. The dealership is only 1/2 mile away from my house, so that would be convenient.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. On the 22/44 model what makes the Tuff Torq tranny a K46 HD Hydro versus the regular K46 Hydro on the other models.

2. When I was at the dealer looking at these today I forgot to check and see if the Briggs V-Twin 22HP had a spin on filter. Does anybody know if they do have one?

3. Can anybody say how their Simplicity has been in this particular model. Reliability, cut, any other comments are always helpful.

Just to clarify, I am interested more in mowing than anything else. I do want a small trailer for it, but I won't be hauling major items in it.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I have recently been on the search for a new lawn tractor and have looked at Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, John Deere, and now Simplicity. I am not very familiar with Simplicity and have been pretty impressed with the machine after digging into it and going to the dealer today. The dealership is only 1/2 mile away from my house, so that would be convenient.

1. On the 22/44 model what makes the Tuff Torq tranny a K46 HD Hydro versus the regular K46 Hydro on the other models.

Can't help you there....

2. When I was at the dealer looking at these today I forgot to check and see if the Briggs V-Twin 22HP had a spin on filter. Does anybody know if they do have one?

My Conquest with the 22HP Vanguard does have a spin-on filter.

3. Can anybody say how their Simplicity has been in this particular model. Reliability, cut, any other comments are always helpful.

My '06 Conquest has been rock solid dependable, both winter and summer. I have had a couple of issues with belts, but they have been resolved. The cut is superb, and this thing cuts everything I throw at it, from 2" or 3", to over 18" high grass. I have about 130 hours on it, mowing, snowblowing (2 stage - impressive!), and pulling a trailer around the yard. It's rare that I am pleasantly surprised with something I've bought being better than expected. This has been one of those purchases. I know you're not looking at a Conquest, but the Regent should be a fine machine, too.

Just to clarify, I am interested more in mowing than anything else. I do want a small trailer for it, but I won't be hauling major items in it.

My opinion - go for it!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I talked a good friend of mine into the Regent after he had looked at what the big box stores had to offer and he could see the difference in just the way they were built. He just loves it and loves the way it cuts and the way it performs.
The ease of taking off the deck to clean it and he really likes the grease fittings on the spindles for the blades. You won't be sorry purchasing this machine.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I'll second Fcubman's comments as I too have a Conquest. Mine has the 23HP vanguard and is one fine engine! I have not had any issues whatsoever though. I don't use a snowblower and only have a tick over 20hours. The 50" deck's cut is superb and the turbo bagger setup works excellent. Changing oil is simple and plcement of filter and drain tube well thought out. I'd be willing to bet it has a filter as it's a pressure lubed. I know not all pressure lubed engines come with filters but would doubt highly simplicity would not have that style engine in the Regent.
Hope you get it and enjoy.

MU

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I'll second Fcubman's comments as I too have an '08 Conquest 50". Mine has the 23HP Vanguard and is one fine engine! I have not had any issues whatsoever though (belts). I don't use a snowblower and only have a tick over 20hours. The 50" deck's cut is superb and the turbo bagger setup works excellent. Changing oil is simple and placement of filter and drain tube were well thought out.
I'd be willing to bet it (regents engine) has a filter as it's pressure lubed. I know not all pressure lubed engines come with filters but would doubt highly simplicity would not have that style engine in the Regent.
Hope you get it and enjoy.

MU

·
Loves Orange and White
34 Posts
I mow two yards every week with a 22 year old Sunrunner. Whats really amazing is the mower is all original.

I recently bought a 93 Broadmoor for my daughters place. It looked almost new but had a wornout transaxle from many hours of use so I rebuilt the tranny for $200. Even with all those hours on the mower it runs, drives and cuts like a new mower. Not to mention the great stripes that make all the neighbors sooo jealous. :bannana:

Get the Simplicity they are great machines.

:goodl:

·
Registered
176 Posts

Hi WV.

I too have a Conquest and love it, but it is the Regent you wanted to know about.

From reading reviews from different sites about them, It's a solid performer and well liked. It would be my choice over the others stated, if they are the box store models.

1) the K46 HD, I believe stands for heavy duty and is better than the standard K46.

2) the Briggs should be an Intek and have an oil filter.

3)Simplicity just builds a good machine like the others have stated.

How much yard are you cutting?

Kevin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the responses and keep them coming.

I only have about 1/2 acre to mow, so it should last a long time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey..

WV..
I was in the same boat as you.. looking at the regent. Can't tell you how it is, as I don't have it yet lol.... But I do have another question

I was looking over at the JD forum and they were talking about all the problems with the k46 transmission.

Then I got to thinking.. isn't this the same one as the regent uses?
I know it says its a k46 HD.. but what exactly does HD mean?

My uses were mowing just over 2 acres and some light towing.
(not trying to hijack the thread, but though the OP might like to know too)

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem. That was one of my main concerns. It always seems like it is a tranny issue and the engines never seem to have many problems. The only difference I can see on the specs between a K46 and an HD K46 is the HD k46 is a 20 x10 tire and the regular k46 is a 20 x 8 tire. Other than that changing the ratio I don't see any difference, but I still am not sure if there is anything else.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No problem. That was one of my main concerns. It always seems like it is a tranny issue and the engines never seem to have many problems. The only difference I can see on the specs between a K46 and an HD K46 is the HD k46 is a 20 x10 tire and the regular k46 is a 20 x 8 tire. Other than that changing the ratio I don't see any difference, but I still am not sure if there is anything else.
The K46HD comes with 22"X10"-8" not the 20" also The Regents Briggs 22HP(ELS series) has the spin on automotive type filter. And a cartrige air filter.
As for how I like it ?:fing32: So far I love it! Excelent cut fuel milage and dependability. I don't "stripe" my lawn, because it was a farm field that was only cut never seeded (read all weeds). For the last 60 years. But I still get compliments on the yard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
K46HD Transaxle is fine.

I bought a 2008 Simplicity Regent 22/44 last July for my 3/4 acre and have over 80 hours on it now. Used it to reseed the lawn last fall, hauling wood, dirt, fertilizing, rolling the lawn, ect. About 10 of those hours were pulling a 400Lb water filled drum aerator. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This tractor is on my short list, for a probable upcoming purchase. Good to see some positive reviews on their "lowest" tractor :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just cut my lawn for the first time with my new 22/44. Wow! What a great tractor. The turning radius is unbelievable. It's certainly not a ZTR, but it's the next best thing. Also, the striping really adds a lot to the final look of the lawn. Makes for a professional look. I also liked how I could dial any cutting height I wanted. The only thing I wished was that the numbers on the height adjustment corresponded to the number of inches I was cutting the grass.

Now, only time will tell if it proves to be reliable. I'm sure that it will though.

I say buy the 22/44 and don't look back. I couldn't be happier.....after 1 cut.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts