My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello (from Nashua, NH):

I am planning a purchase of my first lawn tractor for my 0.5 acre yard with a few obstacles and graded lot. I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to:

Simplicity Regent 19.5/38 (19.5hp Pro single cylinder Briggs, 38 inch floating deck with full width roller, K46 tranny)
Husqvarna YTH23V42LS (23hp twin Vanguard, 42 inch fabricated deck, K46CR tranny with diff lock)

Regent is 2199 and Husky is 2399. I intend to use the tractor primarily to mow and pull tow-behind core aerator and detacher a few times a year.

I personally am inclined towards husky because of vanguard, diff lock, 3 year warranty vs. 2 year on regent, and the fabricated deck. Regent's deck is easy to remove (a plus when sharpening blades).

Advise, please?

Thanks.

Veriloger.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I like the Vanguard and diff lock. We have a Husky at work with the diff lock and it works pretty well. The crap we mow is nowhere near a flat manicured lawn, so you may not actually need the locker. To me, $200 is worth the engine alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the Vanguard and diff lock. We have a Husky at work with the diff lock and it works pretty well. The crap we mow is nowhere near a flat manicured lawn, so you may not actually need the locker. To me, $200 is worth the engine alone.
Agreed. However, I really like the floating mower deck on Simplicity (easy to remove and service and because of the full width rollers, no scalping).

The price difference between the simplicity motor (~ 575.00) and husqvarna model (~ 1350) is about 775. Since price difference between the models is only 200, husqvarna either has to recover 575 by cutting some corners, or simplicity is merely marked up by 575. Which is it?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have no personal experience with the Simplicity, but I can go out in the garage and look at the Husky. Looking at the Regent online, I can't see why it is any better than the Husky. The Regent is available with other engines which make it more expensive, the 22/44 being 2799, makes the Husky look like a bargain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no personal experience with the Simplicity, but I can go out in the garage and look at the Husky. Looking at the Regent online, I can't see why it is any better than the Husky. The Regent is available with other engines which make it more expensive, the 22/44 being 2799, makes the Husky look like a bargain.
I looked at the husky deck once again ... I liked the way it is attached and supported by the tractor frame.

I am pretty sold on husky at this point ... dealer came down to 2350 (cash) including delivery. I will try to get him to come down to 2200 ...

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
330 Posts
The deck was a big selling point for us as well. We went through 2 John Deere decks in 10 years, and they were welded on so much they almost look fabricated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts