My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody new to the site and new to tractors. Bought a simplicity 3410 a month after or so ago and was running great. Problem is this week was using it and put it into reverse and didn’t go anywhere put it in 2 and nothing. So it sat a couple days while I’ve been trying to get ahold of the previous owner but haven’t been able to reach him right now. So I went out started it and it was driving brought it to the drive way and then same thing stopped. So I looked underneath while it was in gear and the axle is spinning but the tires are not. Any help would be very appreciated!! Thanks all

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!
4,476 Posts
Sounds like you are missing the key(s) that go between the wheel and the axle(s).

·
4,242 Posts
I thought that too...but It's a garden tractor..the wheels bolt onto hubs...I would jack it up onto stands and spin the wheels independently if you spin one...the other should go in opposite direction...also try running it in gear while up in the air...do the tires spin then?...Also...is it a 3410...or 3410S? if it is the S...those shuttle transmissions require frequent adjustment

·
4K Poster!!!
4,476 Posts
What holds the hubs to the axles? I haven't seen that setup for myself, yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Fcubman just ran out and took the weights off for the pics. First pic is the right side and they go up and over to the other side and a rear end shot as well. I really don’t know much about it just trying to diagnose and then have my father in law help me out with it. Really hoping its a minor repair. Seems like someone really wanted a wheel horse with the horrible red paint brush job haha

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
So I looked underneath while it was in gear and the axle is spinning but the tires are not.
Sounds like you found the problem.. Just work backwards from the wheel and find the broken/missing pieces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just went out jacked it up the wheeles do not spin opposite of each other. Put it in gear and wheels were getting power but making a rubbing noise. Put it on the ground put it in gear and went 3 feet and sounds like it’s a rubbing or slipping and stopped. That belt has tension and goes when it’s in gear.

·
4,242 Posts
Your last picture looks like it from behind the left rear wheel...I don't know what those square cap screws are....but check them and see if they are loose....I am wondering if they are lock screws to hold the hubs in place at the axle ends...it looks like right and left ends are different...dose the left end have those square tops too?...I can't see them...also ...I do not see any place to add or drain gear oil....can you find anything like that...see if there is lubricant in the gear case.....if you don't find any it cold be an indicator of a bigger problem

·
Registered
466 Posts
If the axles are turning but the wheels aren't, the transmission itself should be fine. Either the axle keys are gone or the differential has failed. The differential is the round thing on the axle on the right side. This is not hard to fix but if you aren't familiar with the mechanics of it it can be daunting. There are a bunch of springs pinions inside and if the springs break it won't work. Either way you need to remove the wheels and see whats going on. Once you have the wheels off you'll have a better idea of what is turning and what isn't.

·
Registered
412 Posts
there are 4 square keys in the differential assembly, two that lock the differential to the tube axle (part 14 above) and two that lock the internal gear to the solid axle (parts 19 and 20 above. These are likely sheared off and there is enough friction in the differential to make the tractor go a little. Getting into the differential should be done in sequence and is not very intuitive to remove if you are not familiar - here is a manual section that probably will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice outfit, looks like it has been cared for. If you don't have it, you should ask the PO for the other rod for the plow. There is a rod and mounting bracket that operates the angle for the blade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts