My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up this end of season, brand new out of the crate Pro Series Blower.
Got a sweetheart deal out the door, obviously as the snow is long gone. I have eyed these for years and like how well built they are over other makes.
Hope it serves well.
Has nice features: true differential with easy turn fingertip lock, hand warmers, electric chute rotation, chain drive, cast iron gearbox and so on. Engine came shipped with synthetic. Has not had gas in it. Dealer offered to bring back next fall and he'd prep for the winter. I doubt I'll do that, most likely will check all myself. He also said to not mail warranty info until I plan to use so it'll begin then.

MU

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Sweet! I bet you're going to love it!

·
16,626 Posts
Nice--like looking at the mirror image of NEW..

See you have it on your newly reworked little trailer , also.

Having a utility trailer and/or pickup truck are the two best decisions I think, I've ever made...:bananapow

glenn

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks.

The trailer is new, a few months ago at least. It is a great thing to have. Used it again this am to get a dump cart for yard use behind the Wheel Horse.
It sure is the best acquisition I've made since buying the house. Now with the shocks installed it's even better too
MU

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
That is a really nice looking machine! I've heard great stuff about the Simplicity machines. And that's a sweet trailer, too!

I finally put a hitch on my SUV about a month ago, and rented a trailer to get a new-to-me snowblower home. It was much cheaper than renting a pickup, which was nice. I could see actually owning a trailer being very handy/convenient :fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not want to get another Pickup as the commute to work is 18 miles one way. Would cost a bit too much in fuel for my liking. With a trailer you do not have the insurance burden, maintenance, costly registration etc.
My VW tows it just fine and if I have a heavier load than normal, I'll use my wife's VW as her's is a TDI. Both our cars are Jetta's, mine an '02 2.0GL and her's an '05 GLS TDI. I installed Curt hitches on both and wired etc. for towing.
Am very pleased how they tow to this point.

MU

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First use of the Simplicity this am went very well. Started no issue. Let run at idle for a min. or so to warm a bit. Cleared my whole driveway and side walk at half throttle with ease. The Briggs engine is very powerful, smooth and QUIET! We only got around 6" so really no work out IMO. The electric chute rotation and controls are all very well placed. I was using big leather mittens and did not have to remove them for anything operational.

It is a quiet machine as 2 of my neighbors came out when I was about done and they're Techumseh powered Cub Cadet/Troy Built were LOUD in comparison!

The easy turn diff lock feature is very nice and functions excellent.

So far am very happy with the machine. The new paint smell burned off the muffler, it's officially not new anymore!

MU

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also just invested in a new simplicity (L1528e, 28" ). I was generally happy with my old 24" simplicity that I got on craigslist for $50, but my long, steep driveway requires something more substantial. After just one storm, I've been pleased with it. The traction is excellent up hill, and I haven't even tried the electric start yet because it starts very easily on the first pull. I can't wait for some heavier snowfall to see what it can really do, because yesterday was just about 4" of powder.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too am extremely impressed with the easy starting of the brigg's engine.
Amazing how simple if the 1-2-3 steps are followed! As yours does, mine starts first pull every time! I highly doubt I'll ever use the e-start. Probably when I'm old and grey, if still in snowy climate that is.

MU

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
That is a nice unit. I grabbed this on on a past trip to LI. It needed major engine work, as it was run out of oil. Works very well. All I have to do now is sell it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a nice looking unit, looks to be a late model with the ohv engine.

Good Luck with the sale.

I'm sure it'll go quick this time of year.

MU

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, in preparation for the possible snow I figured I'd finally go pick up the plastic wear shoes I wanted since seeing them on the new models. Stopped and got them on the way home and Son helped me set them. Shop was nice enough to tell me I'd need 1" bolts as originals are too short. He mentioned they sell them and said ok. Yikes! $3 plus per bolt. No thanks said I'd go to hardware store. So, $.30 each later they're on and set.
I like them much better than the steel ones. Hope they hold up well.

MU

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Nice!

But $3 for a bolt? WTH?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice!

But $3 for a bolt? WTH?
Thanks.

Was more like $3.25 per! :sidelaugh Came each in a bag with the B&S logo. Read 3/8-16 x 1 on bag. I remembered size and thanked him. He could see why and was not bothered when I declined.

MU

·
15,000 +posts!
20,712 Posts
Sadly,the individually bagged bolt and other hardware items priced "each" is becoming the new norm at many stores...and the prices are insane...also the quality is poor in most cases too...

I go to Tractor Supply when I need any quantity of grade 5 or 8 nuts,bolts,washers,where you can still scoop up a bag full by the pound..if I can get by with grade 2 stuff I'll buy it at Lowes or Home Depot,they still have bins of those,but grade 5 and 8 are in the drawers and are getting too pricey for me there...

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Thanks.

Was more like $3.25 per! :sidelaugh Came each in a bag with the B&S logo. Read 3/8-16 x 1 on bag. I remembered size and thanked him. He could see why and was not bothered when I declined.

MU
I was at a Stihl dealer looking for a bearing for my trimmer head. The parts guy said it costs $34.00!!! I gave him a look - he sort of smiled and went back to his screen, and wrote down the trade number for the bearing. I thanked him. Got the bearing online for under $2.00. Plus shipping. The shipping was more than the two bearings!

But, how many people would do what you and I did, and just pay the asked price? (People not on this board, of course!)

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pictures from yesterday and second year use with the Simplicity.
Finally got to use it for what it was built for, deep snow! As expected it ran great (starts 1 pull every single time!) Briggs really nailed the starting thing on this engine. So smooth, powerful, quiet and super easy to start!

Not the greatest pic's but......all I took. :hide:

The new plastic wear feet are great, especially on sidewalk!

MU

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Cool! How well do those tires grip? I understand they are better than the old diamond-tread type.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Cool! How well do those tires grip? I understand they are better than the old diamond-tread type.
I had no issues whatsoever with traction, even when doing paths to shed/garage and rear deck. It's a nice heavy snowblower so I think that helps. I have a nice set of 8" Gravely wheel weights I was thinking to put on but schrader valve is on outside. On top of that I'd have to drill 2 holes through wheels, not going to happen.

MU

1 - 20 of 21 Posts