My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered some brackets for a ladder frame on a Legacy (non xl). One of them was backordered but when I finally got both of them look at the difference. The welds are different, the material is different. One is made with 3 pieces of material the other is a piece of flat stock and and piece of angle iron. The welds have a lot of potting / pitting and the other has great welds. If you notice the holes that were drilled out. The holes on one are perfectly smooth the other rough and jaged. My guess is one is old stock the other is new from Briggs. If they can't make a bracket the same how will they ever keep producing great tractors.

http://youtu.be/BaOJpWwyu0g

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,772 Posts
All I can say is wow !, yes big difference there. Your video really tells the story as well. I hope they work out for you, but thats a shame to have to deal with parts like that :(.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's what happens when you close the factory and the parts are no longer made in Port Washington Wisconsin. Someone probably looked at the drawing of the part and figured it didn't have to be as strong as originally designed. They didn't figure on you getting one of each. I wonder if the new part was a laser cut piece where the old ones were made on a punch press?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I just went out to put these bracket on and look what happened. The 5/8" holes don't line up so there is no way for me to install the backet.

http://youtu.be/tRnedJ_eho0

I can see the writing on the wall as to Simplicity's future!

and it definitly was not a laser cut piece on the new one because you can see the saw marks on the angle iron. Watch the second video and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Your definately right about them using a piece of angle iron that was sawed off. They really missed the boat on that piece. I wonder what QA inspector checked it. Sad! What did the dealer say or didn't they even notice it wasn't right?

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Jason

I'd be taking that piece of crap part back and have them order you another one.

It almost looks like the the second bracket is the wrong part #, but even still, that looks like something someone made in their garage.

I really hope this isn't what we can expect from Simplicity from now on.

Keep us posted.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,619 Posts
So I just went out to put these bracket on and look what happened. The 5/8" holes don't line up so there is no way for me to install the backet.

http://youtu.be/tRnedJ_eho0

I can see the writing on the wall as to Simplicity's future!

and it definitly was not a laser cut piece on the new one because you can see the saw marks on the angle iron. Watch the second video and you will see what I mean.
All I can say is, What a shame!!! I hope this is an isolated failure of quality control or management and not part of the all-too-familiar plot to pump profits with inferior merchandise. I guess we need to have high hopes...but still vote with our feet when it comes time to lay out the cash. But, it does seem like there are fewer and fewer places for our feet to take us to! :crybaby:

Gerald

·
Registered
215 Posts
chinacrap!. Even the Briggs new points I just got were made in taiwan, R.O.C. So i am learning blacksmithing in addition to compliment the welding skills I have so that I make my own parts, as it is plain as day that this foreign crap is just going to get worse. I'd send them parts back If I were you. Sick of being nice when they charge high prices for all this junk, pure and simple!

all the best
So I ordered some brackets for a ladder frame on a Legacy (non xl). One of them was backordered but when I finally got both of them look at the difference. The welds are different, the material is different. One is made with 3 pieces of material the other is a piece of flat stock and and piece of angle iron. The welds have a lot of potting / pitting and the other has great welds. If you notice the holes that were drilled out. The holes on one are perfectly smooth the other rough and jaged. My guess is one is old stock the other is new from Briggs. If they can't make a bracket the same how will they ever keep producing great tractors.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I would march those parts right back to the dealer. If you don't get any satisfaction from the dealer I'd get someone's email address from Briggs and send them links to the vids and pictures of the brackets if you have any and demand they make it right. It's a shame we pay good money for parts and this is what we get. I hope this is a isolated case and not the norm for Simplicity from here out. I'm very interested in what they say about the parts and what they do to make it right. I'm a die-hard Simplicity fan. Been running them since '79. I'm ****** to see this kind of workmanship on their product and no, you wouldn't see parts like that come from Port Washington. Good luck and keep up posted on what transpires.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Absolutely absurd. Neither part looks great but the one on the left is astoundingly bad. I agree with the others. Don't take it back to the dealer. Contact BRIGGS diretctly. Companies are more likely to ACT when they hear from the CONSUMER than from the Dealer. If B&S continues to make crap like that, I would never consider another new Simplicity Product and would be running as far and as fast away as possible. Even MTD produces better looking parts than that lousy bracket. We need to start producing these parts in the USA once again.

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
Absolutely shocked.
I think I see a True Value receipt on one of the video. Before we blast Simplicity too much you should make sure this is actually a true OEM bracket from them.
One time I ordered a deck bracket for my Simplicity from an on-line source. What I got looked worse than something I can make in my garage. I went to the local dealer and got the original part which was much better and was what I expected from Simplicity.

Even though the online place sold the Simplicity part under the correct OEM part number and nowhere described that they may substitute with aftermarket parts it was what I got.

All the OEM Simplicity parts I have bought has had a sticker on them with the Simplicity part number. If none of you parts has that I would be suspicious about your dealer - they may not order OEM parts and are trying to improve their profit.

Let us know how things go. I have a good relationship with my local dealer and I can ask them if the have the brackets too and see what they look like. You are no further away than the nearest UPS place.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow I am surprised to see all the comments and am glad this has sparked more than just my nerve. Allan you got me thinking about the dealer thing because yes it came from a true value. So I checked Simplicity's website and they are in fact a dealer. I would assume they are genuine parts because the other pins and bolts that I ordered all came in Simplicity packaging.

Before I go bashing the dealer I will have to say I have bought a few used things from this dealer so my relationship is somewhat limited. One positive thing this dealer did for me was I lost the male end of my drive shaft for my snowblower. It feel off the trailer during transport. The whole assembly is approx $250. This dealer happened to have an older legacy deck laying around and gave me the part for free. So my one little bash you would have thought the dealer would have looked at this bracket and thought *** and maybe tried to rectify the problem right off the get go but at the same time he probably has some high school kid who doesn't know any better doing his shipping.

So best part of all this. Those two brackets, 2 5/8" pins, 2 special cotter pins, 2 bolts and nuts. Guess how much? $119!!!!! I could have made that bracket if that is what I knew I was going to get and still had enough money left over to fill the tractor up.

I like your guys idea about contacting Briggs directly. I'm going to let them know I will not stand for this lack of quality and workmanship. If I wanted an MTD I would have bought and MTD!!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I did just that. Went to Simplicity's website. Typed them a nice letter with a video link. Clicked send and it gave me an error message saying forbidden no access to send messages. So now off to the briggs website I will go to see if I have any better luck. Here is a copy of my letter.

Please take a moment to watch this video I made about this part that I received. I purchased 2 brackets, 2 5/8" pins, 2 safety clips, and 2 nuts and bolts. It cost me $119 and below is a link to a youtube video as to what I received. It took almost 1 month to get and when it finally show up I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of quality and workmanship that went into making this part. I have bought ONLY Simplicity for years. 1 broadmoor and 3 legacys all with various attachments. If this is the kind of quality and workmanship I can expect to see from Simplicity going forward forget it. If I wanted an MTD I would have bought an MTD. I want a quality made AMERICAN tractor and I don't mind paying a bit more for it. Briggs I hope you're listening!!! I would like this part replaced ASAP with one of equal quality and material as seen in the other part.

·
Super Moderator
39,303 Posts
Wow, what a difference in fit and finish! Seems that QC was out the window on the one on the left! I agree that you should contact B&S about the issue! Even if they just dig up a matching one to the right one you'll be ahead, but they'll also know that the customers do care about the quality of the parts they're putting in the system!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Gotta bump this back up. What the heck were they thinking. A person has bought a high end tractor and then starts making additions, do they think this discriminating customer won't notice the crap.

There are several good machinists on this forum. One person may not want to do all the work, or be responsible for such a wide variety of parts, but a few going together could make a fine business. Heck, we already have Heavy Hitch on here with the tooling to go, start spec-ing those parts.

I have a neighbor whose machine shop does little repetitive work. He does most of his work in replacement parts for "one of" machines or such expensive parts that stocking is not a good option. He has gotten orders for a part in the morning that the CNC's will complete in a few hours and then drive the part to UPS worldport in Louisville for over-nighting to Europe. Less than a 24 hour turnaround on a multi-thousand dollar part.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I forwarded your vidieos to a friend of mine that I use to work with at Simplicity and he sent them to the person who handles a lot of the QA problems at Simplicity, but I just found out that his mother died and he may not be at work for a few days. He may check his e-mails tho. So I guess we will wait and see what happens. You may hear from Briggs in the mean time on what you sent them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Man, that part looks like some chinese worked on that in the middle of the night with no lights on. If that indeed is a genuine Simplicity part I don't think there is any more new Simplicities in my future. Will be interested to see what Briggs or simplicity has to say.:Stop::Stop:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

Jason,
Take it back to the dealer and show him and tell him you need this replaced.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts