My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been playing with tractors for a couple yrs. I happened upon what i think is a Model V Simplicity 2wheel tractor. It has 3 gears hi/med/and low and also has a hi/low lever down on the gear box. It didn't seem to engage right so i dissassebled it and found a rather large rubber o-ring broken up and inside the gear box. I've done research and found diagrams that show this rubber spacer/gasket actually outside of the gears in between 2 of the gear housings. Does anyone have any experience with this tractor. I am wondering what the purpose of the rubber spacer is and do i need to find or make one to replace it for the proper spacing between the housings. Any help would be great...thanks

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Believe the 1958 VB was the first to use that 2-speed axle. The rubber band should be on the outside to cover up the joint between the two halves. Have heard of using a band cut from an inner tube but do not know why a large gauge o-ring of the proper diameter would not work. It just has to stay over the joint and keep dirt out. Do you need an owner manual for the tractor?

Garry

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have much documentation for it. A couple of pictures I've acquired. I'm not sure if i'm being to critical of the machine but it seems to slip out of gear in the axle almost like i don't have detent on the axle gear lever. I'm reassembling the axle for the second time and just trying to do research on that o-ring. I'm starting to think that the 2 housing shouldn't be butted right up against each other but should have a gap and i'm wondering if the width of the gap makes a difference with it staying in gear. I have found and attached a picture of the axle online and it looks like they've left a gap and of course they didn't show the gasket/o-ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You can download manuals from
http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/
Use model 990130 for the 1958 VB
Use model 990155 for the 1959 VC and it likely covers the model 990159 VC and the 5-3/4hp Model H number 990148.
Model numbers were painted/printed onto the data plates or shift plates so they could be faded and not readable. The serial numbers are stamped.

The U-shaped bracket at the top of the handle bars that supports the 2-speed shift rod is clamped just enough to retain the rod in each shifted position. There is mention of this in the manuals.

Garry

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Garry, it's funny you mention that. Just yesterday I was talking to a friend and said, maybe i'm thinking into this too much and it's as good as it's gonna get so my last ditch effort was just to tighten the clamp at the top of the handle to hold it in. I guess I wasn't that far off. thanks again. I just picked up another 2 wheeler with a bunch of attachments last nite. Wonder what i'll learn from that one!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts