My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a used (150 hours) tractor. It is 4WD, 27HP diesel. 60" deck with FEL and 3-pt hitch. Wonder what the general thoughts are on this unit are. Really more tractor than I need but want the FEL and these seem to be about as small as you can go. Have looked at Kubota, New Holland and JD. This one definitely will save a considerable amount of money. BTW, it's from a dealer so seems pretty legit.
 

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
Joined
·
15,755 Posts
What kind of money??


they are a nice looking tractor... my dealer quoted me list 9400$ for the tractor 1400 for the deck.. and the FEL is 2-3K (trading in my prestige)

how much for the one you are looking at? 150 hours is virtually new IMO... and you will pay a bit more than for the 'other orange' tractor...
but simplicity is made in the US.. to me, thats worth the extra money if its at all possible...

oh and welcome to MTF:Welcome1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
simple_john said:
What kind of money??


they are a nice looking tractor... my dealer quoted me list 9400$ for the tractor 1400 for the deck.. and the FEL is 2-3K (trading in my prestige)

how much for the one you are looking at? 150 hours is virtually new IMO... and you will pay a bit more than for the 'other orange' tractor...
but simplicity is made in the US.. to me, thats worth the extra money if its at all possible...

oh and welcome to MTF:Welcome1:
Complete package $10,000. List is about $15000 so thought this was good. Looked at NH, Kubota, JD and they are all around $15K.

Question now is what do I do with my trusty Jacobsen??

Thanks for the welcome. Actually recommended from another. Seems like a good one. BTW, John...good name. :trink39:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:congrats: Well I went ahead with it. Kind of excited actually, although expect I'll be looking for an understanding women who desires recently kicked out husband once it gets delivered. :00000060: Will post an update and maybe a picture or two. as soon as it gets here.
 

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
Joined
·
15,755 Posts
good deal, congrats that is a fine machine...

BTW: and you can ask 4 Acres.... just let your wife drive it... she will understand..... I believe his wife pushed him into getting his simplicity..


15,000 list, that was with the diesel too? excellent.. :bannana:

the prices i was quoted was for the gas engine... I drooled over the legacy..
its just not in my future... YET!!!

congratulations.. be sure to post some pics when you get your machine..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a used Legacy XL with deck and FEL in PA that is on e-bay.
Item #7705654032. Ends Sunday at noon. May be worth a look simple_john.
:trink39:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
simple_john,

The wife/JEEP has rescued the Prestige twice in its 3 month 70 hour life. Thought I would get smart and use the Honda RT5000 but the wife/JEEP had to pull that out too.

Wish I had asked the dealer to bring out a Legacy for a yard test for my wife!
 

·
Simpicity Legacy
Joined
·
20 Posts
Just a word of caution.

Don't confuse the Legacy XL with the Legacy. Apparently, Simplicity went through a extensive redesign of their Legacy line a year or two back. The factory guy told me their is a significant difference between the two machines. I found out when I went to put a 3 point hitch on my Legacy. Mine accepts a Cat 0, whereas the XL takes a Cat 1.

If you go to pick up used Legacy attachments, make sure it fits your model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eek:mg: This is a terrific piece of machinery. Drives easier than my car. Have been digging all day. Grass was almost knee deep in spots. My old tractor would have been totally choked out. This one didn't even burp. Let it snow, let it snow!!!

If I have one complaint, it's that you can't see the edges on the bucket. Can't stand up to look because the kill switch does it's thing. I imagine it's not uncommon with a tractor this size and with a little practice I'm getting used to it.
:trink40: :trink40: :fing32:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
exNCite said:
If I have one complaint, it's that you can't see the edges on the bucket. Can't stand up to look because the kill switch does it's thing. I imagine it's not uncommon with a tractor this size and with a little practice I'm getting used to it.
Does your have a rod on the right side, up near the arm? That gives you a sense of the tilt of the bucket.

Here's a Pic of mine and I put a square around the area I'm talking about: http://www.flickr.com/photos/depasse/53168866/

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Greg. Yes it does, but I figured it out after I posted. It does help quite a bit. :hatsoff:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Can I ask you a question about your weight box - how do you detach it? I mean, can your 3PH lower it all the way to the ground? Mine doesn't - it stays 3" off the ground. In fact, there isn't much travel up or down with it. Are you using the fixed orange bar that came with the weight box or the black adjustable bar that came with the 3PH?

Thanks,
Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
depasseg said:
Can I ask you a question about your weight box - how do you detach it? I mean, can your 3PH lower it all the way to the ground? Mine doesn't - it stays 3" off the ground. In fact, there isn't much travel up or down with it. Are you using the fixed orange bar that came with the weight box or the black adjustable bar that came with the 3PH?

Thanks,
Greg
Give me a couple of days and I'll get you some pics and more info. Headed out of town shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
depasseg said:
Can I ask you a question about your weight box - how do you detach it? I mean, can your 3PH lower it all the way to the ground? Mine doesn't - it stays 3" off the ground. In fact, there isn't much travel up or down with it. Are you using the fixed orange bar that came with the weight box or the black adjustable bar that came with the 3PH?

Thanks,
Greg

Maybe these pics help. Arms go all the way to the ground and back up. Are you sure you have removed the lockbar? Maybe you can tell from the third pic. I also posted another pic on an earlier reply that shows the weight box when loaded in the raised position. It uses the orange arm. Hope it helps.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greg

I tried mine and the arm works the same way. When down, it rests on the frame. One thing I'm curious about though, and may be the problem. I don't see the arms on yours. Look up at my pictures from a couple of posts ago and you'll see the flexible arms that are connected to the fixed arm of the tractor hitch. I have the same on mine as you show, in that the left is a straight piece and the right is H-shaped. They do not go all the way down but the flexible arms do (the ones connected with the chains). Sorry guys if my terminologies are wrong.

Unfortunately my wife took my digital camera to take baby pictures for a few days, but the ones above should be enough. You might want to ask your dealer because I think you're just missing the whole 3PT hitch (which I believe is not a std item with the tractor).

Let me know if I can help more.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I do have the 3PH, but it wasn't attached in that picture. I figured out that I could adjust the locknut on the control arm (again, I have no idea what the correct term is) to have the arms raise high enough and yet still hit the ground. Thanks for the help. Good to know mine's not 'defective'. :)

I noticed in your picture that you have the adjustable arm on the left side of the hitch instead of the right, like the manual says. Was is the difference or the purpose of that? I'm new to this whole 3 point hitch, if you couldn't tell. Can I ask one more question - how do you decide what hole to attach the top link to? There seems to be 3 holes in the 'L' shaped bracket at the top of the rear frame.

Thanks,
Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
depasseg said:
Sorry for the confusion. I do have the 3PH, but it wasn't attached in that picture. I figured out that I could adjust the locknut on the control arm (again, I have no idea what the correct term is) to have the arms raise high enough and yet still hit the ground. Thanks for the help. Good to know mine's not 'defective'. :)

I noticed in your picture that you have the adjustable arm on the left side of the hitch instead of the right, like the manual says. Was is the difference or the purpose of that? I'm new to this whole 3 point hitch, if you couldn't tell. Can I ask one more question - how do you decide what hole to attach the top link to? There seems to be 3 holes in the 'L' shaped bracket at the top of the rear frame.

Thanks,
Greg
Ok here goes, Greg. Below is a picture of the top L bracket. On the bottom are 2 holes. The back hole is for the lock bar when it is not being used. The front hole appears to be an option for the hole, depending I suppose on what attachment you are using. My guess is it would change the angle. This is how mine came setup.

As far as the adjustment piece, I can't see how it would make a difference whether RH side or LH side. Again, this is how mine came.

I also put a picture of the drawbar on another topic. Works pretty slick and a lot easier than trying to couple attachments underneath.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some pictures of some of the work I have putting this baby through. I can't believe my wife has been letting me suffer so much for the last 23 years!!!

The last one is something liked it started to be, the 3rd is the debris pile and the first 2 are cleaned out, waiting for the grass to grow.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
This is excellent. So far, this is the most fun activity with the loader - clearing out brush/weeds/fallen trees/etc, and clearing land. The problem is going to far and clearing what my wife wants to leave as a barrier to the back road. I only have 2 acres, about 1/2 acre left to clear. That's the saddest thing about the loader; one day all the "hard" work will be done...
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top