My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am hanging out at Sears while the wife buys my daughters some school clothes.

I spy the "new" GT9500, and say "darn, those are 24 inch tires, and that looks like a diff lock pedal".

Sure enough, 30 HP Briggs Professional, power steering, electric deck lift, beefy frame, automatic traction control with lockout, no tranny filter (saldy). VERY GOOD LOOKING MACHINE!

Sandeep, one of the more eager Craftsman salesmen immediately figures me for the type who wants to see the manual, so he heads right over to field my questions. He was very knowledgeable on all the models.

I asked if this was a Husqvarna, or MTD. No he says, this one is made by Simple City. Simple City, I ask? OH SIMPLICITY???? Yes, Simple City.

So, is this Sears answer to the Dixon? Definitely a piece of class on the showroom floor!

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I'm off to Sears.com. Hope it's there.

P.S.
Simple City lol. Yikes.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I'll be a son of a XXXXX! You ain't kidding! It is a simplicity (the chain deck lift is a dead give away) pricey little booger for a sears store!

Product Description

The Craftsman Professional Garden Tractor features the very best that Craftsman has to offer. The 30 HP Briggs & Stratton Professional Series engine™ with Electronic Fuel Management delivers consistent automotive style starting with no choking required. It has a large 54" heavy duty steel cutting deck with electric height of cut adjustment, power steering with 18" steering radius, cruise control and hydrostatic transmission to make quick work of your mowing needs. The hydraulic lift lever, 24" rear tires and premium transmission with differential lock make this tractor perfect for all your yard and garden duties.

* Click here for brochure

* Briggs & Stratton 30 Gross HP Professional Series™ OHV engine*
* 54" heavy duty steel deck with 3 blades and 4 anti -scalping wheels
* Foot controlled hydrostatic transmission with rear wheel differential lock
* Dual speed control - use either the foot or fender mounted controls to select your forward speed.
* Advanced traction control - power is continuously supplied to both wheels
* Power steering and cruise control
* Electric push button height of cut adjustment - select from an infinite cutting height 1" -3.75"
* Electric dashboard display: fuel and battery levels, hour meter change oil and low oil pressure indicator and a clock.
* Electric PTO engagement
* Pivoting cast iron front axle
* 18" turning radius
* Padded adjustable steering wheel and adjustable seat.
* DC outlet and cup holder
* *all power levels stated gross HP per SAE J1940 by Briggs & Stratton

* Weight: 916 lbs.
* Color: Black/Gold
* Some Assembly Required (Seat)

Reg Price: $7469.99
Savings: $1494.00
$5975.99

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
30HP- I'll bet that could make short work of 5 gallons of gas. I suppose the owner of one of these would also be interested in the 403HP Chevy half-ton, and his Sunday car would be the 556 HP Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Thanks for the pic and info Brett-JDX748.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Man that is nice looking!! Looks like a legacy, Seems like sears is trying to sell tractors like the FF's again.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Man that is nice looking!! Looks like a legacy, Seems like sears is trying to sell tractors like the FF's again.
The Legacy would have a K92 tranny (with filter) - this one did not have a filter. Sandeep was all over and under the tractor with me.

I'm thinking a custom Conquest, though the GT9500 has an electric deck lift and a larger engine. The Conquest has the K66, and the Regent has the K71 (serviceable) doesn't it? Anyhow, there was a drain plug.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried telling some of you guys that Sears would make a comeback!

Why one of these days they'll have a gun counter again. Right next to the Elgin outboards (made by Johnson). And I'll peruse them munching some fresh roasted cashews from the snack counter.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
For that kinda $$$ I could buy a dozen better quality mowers,a trailer,a pickup to pull the trailer and a BIG steak dinner to eat on the way home.

·
Coach John
106 Posts
Very interesting. On the PLUS side parts should be around for a long time. Both new and second hand so to speak.

·
Super Moderator
32,709 Posts
Hey Steelers Colors should sell big here in PA!!!! Bought time Sears began trying to put some quality back into their lineup! I agree with D-Dogg they could bring back the fresh roasted cashews too, I could go for that!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,510 Posts
Well they can call it Brute equipmet. Well since Briggs is the owner now you Know they really want a bigger piece of the Box storge that they already have. John Deere in the past made a Lawn tractor for Sears under the Craftsman Label it was basicly a STX with a diffrenet Hood and color with a Briggs engine. BTW Simplicity has Been make ZTRs under the Craftsman Label for a Few Years now even before Briggs Bought them. So it was bound to happen soon or later. So it's a Prestige with a cheaper transmission then I guess. or just a K66 out of the Conquest without a oil filter. Can't wait until the Simplcity and Craftsman forums get a Hold of this :sidelaugh I actually kind of like it:thThumbsU I just wonder at that price will the sell many

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well they can call it Brute equipmet. Well since Briggs is the owner now you Know they really want a bigger piece of the Box storge that they already have. John Deere in the past made a Lawn tractor for Sears under the Craftsman Label it was basicly a STX with a diffrenet Hood and color with a Briggs engine. BTW Simplicity has Been make ZTRs under the Craftsman Label for a Few Years now even before Briggs Bought them. So it was bound to happen soon or later. So it's a Prestige with a cheaper transmission then I guess. or just a K66 out of the Conquest without a oil filter. Can't wait until the Simplcity and Craftsman forums get a Hold of this :sidelaugh I actually kind of like it:thThumbsU I just wonder at that price will the sell many
Now who would post a link to this thread in those forums?

That is JD x500 series pricing isn't it? Sears should cowboy up and add the 3 year home warranty for free.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I just wonder at that price will the sell many
That is my thought. What am I missing here, A JD x500 with a 54" deck lists for $5,899.00, slightly cheaper than the Craftsman. Even if the Craftsman is a "better" machine, you are still dealing with Sears, a mere skeleton of it's former greatness with a non existent customer service program. The Dixon from Homer I can understand, at 3 grand it's a respectable GT that falls between the GT 5000 and a Deere x500. I don't see a niche that this machine will fill.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I don;t own green yet. but if I had that much money to throw into a tractor I am sure it would be green! x500 series!:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I don;t own green yet. but if I had that much money to throw into a tractor I am sure it would be green! x500 series!:thThumbsU
I think that's what most people would do, myself included.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
The Legacy would have a K92 tranny (with filter) - this one did not have a filter. Sandeep was all over and under the tractor with me.

I'm thinking a custom Conquest, though the GT9500 has an electric deck lift and a larger engine. The Conquest has the K66, and the Regent has the K71 (serviceable) doesn't it? Anyhow, there was a drain plug.
My Conquest K66L has two drain plugs, and is serviceable, has a differential lock. No filter. This unit sounds like a Conquest to me, and the deck looks very much like my 54"deck, without the rollers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tried telling some of you guys that Sears would make a comeback!

Why one of these days they'll have a gun counter again. Right next to the Elgin outboards (made by Johnson). And I'll peruse them munching some fresh roasted cashews from the snack counter.
Now there's a flash back! I've been to that Sears store, I was 5 or 6, but I was there!! Preferred the turtles at the candy counter when we could afford them!!

Dad taught me how to change the oil in the trucks. 1 gallon and 5 gallon metal cans from Sears and a glass 1 qt bottle with a galvanized metal screw on spout. I walk through the flea markets to this day looking for one of those bottles with the 1 qt line and the screw on spout!

I still have Dad's Gamefisher 15 HP (Eska) out in the shed,

Thanks for the memories!!!

Scott

·
Registered
451 Posts
For about $700 more I would buy an entry level X700 without the deck off season. I'm not a big fan of the Briggs engines anyway. A nice X5xx can be had for that kind of coin.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Simplicity has been making products for retail outlets since the 50's, under brands such as Montgomery ward and JC Penny. The conquest is a good GT but here in the St.Louis region, Sears seems to have trouble selling anything for more than $4K. They had one of those BobCat built commercial zero turns and ended up selling it for under $4K even though it listed for around $7K, but sears marks these way up anyway. By the time they are put on "Sale" they are about the same price as buying the name brand though a dealer. This is a good example, through a Simplicity dealer a new conquest starts at $5500 for a base model w/deck before any special sales or offers. I suspect part of the reason for Sears initially having a higher price is that the supplier is trying not to put their own dealers out of business, much like how Deere home depot and lowes are not supposed to sell the LA tractors cheaper than the Deere dealerships. As far as this Simplicity goes, buying from a dealer you will also get much better warranty service and parts availability compared to sears, not to mention a much better looking color scheme.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/yard-and-garden-tractors/conquest/

1 - 20 of 107 Posts