My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1996 Simplicity Broadmoor - 15 hp Kohler with 44" cut. I love it so far and it runs and mows excellent.... for a while. After about 30 minutes of use it stalls out. It acts like it's running out of gas. The previous owner assumed it was vapor lock. I've changed the line from the tank to the filter and also checked for debris in the tank. Found nothing.

When it's about to stall, if I put the choke on, it will stay running until I take the choke off. While the choke is on and it's running, if I pull and wiggle the fuel line from the tank it starts running normal again (not every time, but it has worked). I thought if it was vapor locked or there was debris it may clear it out.

If I let it stall, it will start again after 15 minutes or so.

Never had vapor lock with anything I've owned so I don't know if that's a possibility or not. My dad has the same same mower (96 Broadmoor), but his has the 16 hp Briggs and it does the exact same thing.

I'm thinking it's a fuel issue since it will run with the choke on, but not sure. I'm thinking it could be many things... gas cap vent, fuel pump, coil, etc. Any known issues with this model?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally bit the bullet and spent $46 on a fuel pump. Solved the problem. Just thought I'd let you know in case anyone else runs into this issue with a Broadmoor with a 15 hp Kohler. Guy at the dealer said most fuel pumps on the Kohlers begin to do that after 8-10 years so I figured I'd give it a shot. Mine had a new engine installed in 2003 so it was 7 years old. Now it runs like it should.... perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts