My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find my particular situation so I hope you guys can help. It is a 17HP Vanguard Broadmoor with a 44 inch deck. Package #1693695 Model #1692684. I think it was made circa 1996. From my research, I believe it has the K51 Tuff Torq hydrostat transaxle.

When I first bought it, it was weak in reverse but I thought it was just a linkage adjustment. However, no amount of adjusting could give both full forward and reverse. It was either: slow forward/slow reverse or full forward/no reverse. It seemed like the adjustment range was just not big enough to allow full forward and full reverse. So, I just accepted it and kept mowing.

Now, a full season later, forward works great, but it has no reverse at all. No amount of linkage adjusting gives anything. I put it up on blocks and manually moved the tab on the right side of the trans to full reverse and still nothing.

Also, the trans lever does not want to go all the way forward on the dash. Even in an extreme adjustment, it stops about an inch from being physically fully forward.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Is the tow valve rod engaged all the way? I've seen this happen the tractor, will somewhat move but not real positive one way or the other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the tow valve rod engaged all the way? I've seen this happen the tractor, will somewhat move but not real positive one way or the other.
Is this the pin on the back that allows you to push the mower around? I'll check it, but without reverse I've had to push/pull that rod out many many times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I replaced the drive belt just to be sure and it definitely gave more power in forward but still nothing in reverse. I'm thinking it might be necessary to tear down the transaxle this winter and repair or replace it altogether.

However, I'd really like to be 100% sure that it is not simply a linkage problem. If anyone has a linkage adjustment walkthrough or can link me to a shop manual or something from Simplicity, I'd really appreciate it...Thanks.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have Landlord of of the same vintage and I have messed with linkage several times, too slow in R too slow in F. etc... seems like I just settle on one or the other from year to year depending on my needs. I like fast R for mowing since I can't fly through the grass, and a fast F for towing things down the road to the dump. good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have Landlord of of the same vintage and I have messed with linkage several times, too slow in R too slow in F. etc... seems like I just settle on one or the other from year to year depending on my needs. I like fast R for mowing since I can't fly through the grass, and a fast F for towing things down the road to the dump. good luck
Do you think its a linkage rod adjustment or a transaxle issue? I put it up on jack stands and manually pushed it into full reverse, but the wheels don't move at all in reverse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reviving an old thread in hopes of some additional insight that may be now available since this thread was posted. I have a Simplicity Broadmoor with same motor and similar vintage. It has the Tuff Torq K51F transaxle with the exact same problem that the posters have described. Any tricks/fixes other than those posted here. Is the problem only fixable by a rebuild or replacement? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a brand new member and joined because I found this thread on a Google search about reverse and Broadmoors.
I bought a 2001(?) model hydrostatic 17HP Briggs mower used. Very neglected for $50. Got is running by adjusting the valves(starter would get hung up on compression stroke), cleaning out the gas tank, and it runs but smokes.

The transmission went into forward but barely would do reverse. I messed around with the linkage (shouldn't have) thinking that was the problem. No change. I had to set things back again to neutral (selector lever in neutral while tranny was in neutral). I still had very little reverse.

Below are a few pictures I hope you find helpful. Maybe this is your problem as was in mine case. Well, this forum doesn't allow direct uploads from my PC like other forums I use. I tried photobucket, but the pictures ended up too small. In short, at the transmission is a lever that rotates a shaft that does the forward/neutral/reverse. This lever has a slot cut into it to limit the movement of the lever. The upper end of the slot (which when tanny is in reverse, this end will be down) gets packed with debris and limits the lever's movement to the reverse position. I took off the big nut (if your tranny is the same as mine), then the spring so I could see & access the slotted part of the lever. Cleaned it out, and I have reverse. I'll add the pictures somehow later.

Although reverse is working great now, and so is forward. Neutral position on selector on dash coincides with neutral on the transmission, BUT I cannot find out how to adjust the linkage so that the selector position on the dash goes ALL the way up to the top speed position. It will only for about 1" shy of reaching the top. When I messed with the linkage adjustments, I may have screwed it up. But if I move anything, then neutral position will be affected...I think. It appears to have 2 adjustments on the linkage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
simpleputtputt,

Thanks for your post. I'll check that part of the linkage on my tractor which is the same model as yours. Hopefully the disassembly and cleaning procedure will give me a more robust reverse.

Keith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, thanks to the tip from Newsman
Andy,
I also use the "Bucket." When you click on the photo in the library, then to the right you will see a list under the "Share this photo," copy the address that is next to "List" and paste that into your message. There is also another way in the help section on this forum.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/4-mytractorforum-com-site-help/77144-posting-pictures-mtf.html
MikeC
I found how to directly upload my pictures. Let's see if it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a brand new member and joined because I found this thread on a Google search about reverse and Broadmoors.
I bought a 2001(?) model hydrostatic 17HP Briggs mower used. Very neglected for $50. Got is running by adjusting the valves(starter would get hung up on compression stroke), cleaning out the gas tank, and it runs but smokes.

The transmission went into forward but barely would do reverse. I messed around with the linkage (shouldn't have) thinking that was the problem. No change. I had to set things back again to neutral (selector lever in neutral while tranny was in neutral). I still had very little reverse.

Below are a few pictures I hope you find helpful. Maybe this is your problem as was in mine case. Well, this forum doesn't allow direct uploads from my PC like other forums I use. I tried photobucket, but the pictures ended up too small. In short, at the transmission is a lever that rotates a shaft that does the forward/neutral/reverse. This lever has a slot cut into it to limit the movement of the lever. The upper end of the slot (which when tanny is in reverse, this end will be down) gets packed with debris and limits the lever's movement to the reverse position. I took off the big nut (if your tranny is the same as mine), then the spring so I could see & access the slotted part of the lever. Cleaned it out, and I have reverse. I'll add the pictures somehow later.

Although reverse is working great now, and so is forward. Neutral position on selector on dash coincides with neutral on the transmission, BUT I cannot find out how to adjust the linkage so that the selector position on the dash goes ALL the way up to the top speed position. It will only for about 1" shy of reaching the top. When I messed with the linkage adjustments, I may have screwed it up. But if I move anything, then neutral position will be affected...I think. It appears to have 2 adjustments on the linkage.
simpleputtputt,

Finally got to work on mine and followed your procedure. Found a half inch of hard packed crap in the slot. I now have reverse like I've never had it before! My shift lever also stops about an inch short of the top. At this point I'm not going to mess with it as this is my back up mowing tractor. And to think that I
almost threw this tractor away! Thanks again for posting your solution to the problem.:thanku:

Keith

·
4K Poster!!!
4,497 Posts
Great photos!

·
Registered
1 Posts
@simpleputtputt - Buy this man a beer! I was having this very issue today. Came in, moused around and found this thread. 2 minutes and a 45* compressed air extension and I was back in business. Makes me wonder how many folks have had their tractors in to unscrupulous dealers/repair shops and gotten smoked for a "repair".

FWIW I joined just to give this a "two thumbs up"! Plus I have found my way here a couple other times but, well, you get it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts