My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of getting a Simplicity 738 working again. I was able to replace the blown engine with a working engine. The working engine is a pull start, but have plans to change it to be electric start. But prior to this I wanted to ensure the tractor move in all the gears. When the drive belt is in place and the clutch is depressed, it still turns the pulley on the transmission. Thus when I try to put the transmission into gear there a grinding sound. Also, when the clutch is depressed, the tractor doesn't stop until I put the transmission into neutral. The owners manual states a 1/2" X 85 belt is required and went and got the belt messured and it was 85".

I used the same pulley from the old motor.

Should the pulley on the transmission turn when the clutch is depressed? Any recommendations or what to look into would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

·
dddenden
24 Posts
I have a Homelite T-10 made by Simplicity in the mid 70's. I think this is the same as a Broadmoor 738. If your belt is correct and the brake and clutch rods are adjusted correctly, the transmission pulley should stop. It is easier to get to the adjusting nuts with the mower deck off but can be done either way. I have always had problems with the pulley moving so I carried a small piece of wood (in addition to the clutch/brake) to mechanically stop the pulley before going from neutral to any gear. Once in gear I am able to shift normally. My problem is probably from using standard v-belts rather than Simplicity belts. The correct belt has some sort of material which I think lets the pulley slip at the motor. The standard automotive belts are too sticky. Anyway you have to adjust the 2 nuts on the clutch and brake rods to hopefully get both working in sync. If you need help I can check the owners manual tomorrow. By the way my unit has a 42", 3 blade mower deck with rubber rollers on the back. Actually cuts better than my JD 425. Dennis

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dennis, Thanks for your assistance. The pulley on the transmission was not stopping because the brake wasn't being applied. I adjusted the collar on the brake rod and it now allows the ability to shift without grinding. Thanks again.Tim:

thanku:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts